Map the Liber Usualis to the Liturgia Horarum
  • I've volunteered to put together a booklet for my Franciscan Fraternity for Wednesday Evening Prayer. I've been chanting Morning, Evening and Night Prayer for a months now with The Mundelein Psalter and The Office of Compline by Fr. Samual Weber. I would like to take this opportunity to teach my fraternity to chant Evening Prayer. However, I'm not sure if I want to use the chants from The Mundelein Psalter.

I would also like to start chanting the Office of Readings and Daytime Prayer, which I've not found any resources for. I've been toying with the idea of taking all the chants from the Liber Usualis and mapping them to the appropriate places in the Liturgia Horarum. (Thus far, I've only used the Liber Usualis for a couple of months since I joined a schola for a EF Mass, so I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I don't know anything about the EF of the LOTH.) Once I've mapped these chants out, I'd probably use them instead of the ones found in The Mundelein Psalter and Fr. Weber's book. Hence, I may as well do this work now and use it for the booklet I'm going to put together for my fraternity.

I'm not going to worry about Antiphons right now. The Mundelein Psalter solution is an easy way to handle this.

I've found the Liturgia Horarum In Cantu Gregoriano website today, so I'll be taking a good look at it before I do much of anything else.

Like I said, I don't know what I'm getting myself into yet. Is this a good idea, or am I planning on playing with things that won't work that well? If it is a good idea, I'm sure many people have already done it. If so, does anyone have this work written down? If you do, would you mind sharing it with me and allow me to put it online to share with others?
  • All I know is that Liturgia Horarum draws its antiphons from a wide range of sources, well beyond of what is contained in the Liber Usualis. It's probably best to look in the Ordo Cantus Officii and see if you can find the assigned chants.
  • tomjaw
    This may help especially with the Divine Office as found in the Liber Usualis.

http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl

Of course the Liber Usualis does not have the complete Divine Office, it only has Matins for a few days, Christmas etc. and Lauds is also only given for feasts.
    Lauds can be found in the Antiphonarium as found on this website.

Also there were many changes made to the Traditional Divine Office to create the modern LOTH.