Choral Settings for Advent/Christmas - Your favorites?
  • Thought it might be fun/helpful to share ideas for Advent and Christmas - for large or small or satb/ssaa/ttbb/sa/tb/unison - or whatever. I like to hear what others are doing - and it might be helpful to all who pass this way.
    So, I'll post an obvious one - but a favorite - to start:
    Christmas - Choral setting of Gaudette from Piae Cantiones (a collection of late medieval Latin songs first published in 1582 - learn more here:
    http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/Biographies/Hadidian/Chap_3-The_PC_Collection.htm
    Below is the English translation (not sure how exact it is, but common) and then the score in modern notation and what it looked like, presumably, in 1582. The other one I've done from this collection is Personent Hodie.

Rejoice, Rejoice!
    Christ is born
    Of the virgin Mary,
    Rejoice!

It is now the time of grace
    That we have desired;
    Let us sing songs of joy,
    Let us give devotion.

God was made man,
    And nature marvels;
    The world was renewed
    By Christ who is King.

The closed gate of Ezechiel
    Has been passed through;
    From where the light rises
    Salvation is found.

Therefore let our assembly now sing,
    Sing the Psalms to purify us;
    Let it praise the Lord:
    Greetings to our King.
  • ps...i have to admit that I really love the Steeleye Span version of this that was done in the 70's. AND - I brazenly add tambourine to it when i do it - because a. it works and b. it makes the glory and praise set think I can relate - so they don't just dismiss me c. eighth graders who scoff at latin - give it another look
    "Therefore, be wise as serpents and innocent as doves..."
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    Another Steeleye Span fan! How rare we are!
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood tomboysuze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    another.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • And another.

Also Susan kudos for your innocent wisdom.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • In Latin: Tollite hostias from the Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio (the whole oratorio if your soloists have the chops--it's the perfect length for a 'prelude concert')

O Virgo pulcherrima and Tota pulchra es either tune, but my schola normally does the one beginning mmdms in the PBC--Marian chant hymns

Vox clara ecce intonat--Advent chant hymn. The trumpet calls of the repeated ldd ldd motive at the beginning--spine-chilling. There is also a chorale version; sometimes we sing them in alternatim.

Corde natus (Of the Father's love begotten)--also see below in English

In English:
    Richard Proulx, Rorate coeli. A beautiful harmonization SATB; refrain in Latin, verses in English.

Andrew Carter, A maiden most gentle The Lourdes Hymn--with the Ave's correct, i.e., anacruses!--with a Christmas story text and the lucid writing one expects from Mr. Carter. SATB but could be done unison or high/low or various voicings with a little creativity

Wilbur Chenoweth, Of the Father's love begotten SATB, divisi men, absolutely splendiferous organ part, the most joyful descant ever--this one has it all! (And did I mention that it's chant rhythm, not mensural?) In English, but my choir has substituted the Latin.

David Shelat, The Angel Gabriel The familiar carol in either high or low unison voices, with the other two voices singing what sounds like a medieval conductus on the Magnificat in Latin. Just lovely
    Robert Scholz, arr., Lo, How a Rose e'er blooming This is a quiet, mystical setting, almost a fantasia at the beginning, using three of the different translations of the text. This piece leaves a calm, heavenly silence at the end. I use it as the last prelude piece before the Christmas Proclamation and the Introit.

Robert Shaw and Alice Parker, arr. How unto Bethlehem SATB An Italian carol, in English translation, a carol in the truest sense of the word--the piece just dances, in fluid and sometimes rollicking mixed meters. (Really an Epiphany carol, as it alternates the townfolk's voices "this pilgrimage of kings..how strange the royal diadems in Bethlehem" and the Magi "Seek we the King..O, tell us, where?")

Robert Pearsall, In dulci jubilo 8vv or 4vv reduction. To me, it's just not Christmas without Corde natus and In dulci jubilo.

The Sir David Willcocks arrangement of O come, all ye faithful

Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • How about the good old English Catholic carol 'Come to the manger' in Gatti's
    arrangement. The carol dates from penal days I think. The non-catholics have never
    sung it. Also I far prefer Vincent Novello's arrangement of 'Adeste Fideles'. It has a terrific alto obbligato in verse 3.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my Conditor alme siderum (Creator of the Stars of Night), re-engraved and transposed up a whole step. The original pitch version is available at CPDL. This is a calm, close harmony, chant-like SATB setting of the first three stanzas, each stanza concluded with a peaceful "Alleluia, alleluia."
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze canadash
  • Oh! Thank you, Chuck. I will use this.

MaryFA (as in do, re, mi, ....?) - I agree & use the Novello Adeste Fideles as well!
  • Masters In This Hall - This is one of the most haunting but driving carols I've ever heard.
    I try to do this every year - but never really have the chops in terms of enough choir members who can actually dig in and do this well.
    I have about 20 different arrangements but they are either too high for the women or "men-centric" and I never have enough men with strong voices.

Anyone have a great arrangement of this. I'm still looking - so if I find one, I'll post.
    This is an excellent instrumental version with the right energy.

http://youtu.be/9ab3_6bMIt8
  • Patricia Cecilia - those are all great selections. I do many of them when I have the right "personnel" shall we say. What choral version of the Vox clara ecce intonat are you using. I like the sound of that.

We are doing a midnight mass for the first time at my new gig....problem is, the organist that was supposed to play, quit unexpectedly.
    I can do it a cappella w/ two violin, viola and cello (but would love someone to play continuo at least) HOWEVER, if that is not to be, I will ask Father to dim the lights a bit lower, go full a cappella on many things and use the strings to play SATB when I can. Problem is, the string players are also my section leaders.

But many of your suggestions will fit perfectly. Thank you!
  • Now....what setting of Veni, Veni Emmanuel are you using????

http://youtu.be/Mn7iFxvfn3A