Different Gloria in the Canadian Missal
  • After Adoration last nigh, my daughter decided to take a look at our parish's Missal and sing some of the Ordinary. She discovered that the Gloria in our Missal is different from the Gloria in the Vatican II Hymnal. She checked the Gloria on ICEL's website, and it matches the one in the Vatican II Hymnal. Why is the Gloria in our Missal different? Did the Canadian bishops put a different Gloria in the Canadian Missal than what's found in other English Missals? Or, do other Missals have a different Gloria than what's on ICEL's website? Are there other differences in the Ordinary among the Missals of the various English speaking bishop's conferences?

I understand the Propers being different, but why is some of the Ordinary different?
  • chonakchonak
    Msgr. Wadsworth mentioned this to us in his talk at Pittsburgh: ICEL offered its musical setting of the Mass Ordinary to the bishops' conferences, and some adopted it in full, and some in part. The US Missal differs from the ICEL setting too: for example, it places the 1964 Our Father by John Snow as the first musical option for that portion of the Mass.
    Thanked by 1rjgrigaitis
  • The CCCB used a different melody for the Gloria than the one in the Missal. Probably the one in the Missal (XV from the gradual, I thnk) was seen as being inaccessible: some people experience it as boring.

I am morally certain that here in Canada is the only place where that different melody is used.

At first I didn't like it (it is a modern composition) but it has grown on me.

Question: what mode do you all think it's in? 7, or 2? Yes, this is a silly question.
    Thanked by 1rjgrigaitis
  • rjgrigaitis, can you post it, so we can better understand of what you speak? Thanks!
  • We did this already on another thread, including accompaniments.
    Thanked by 1rjgrigaitis
  • canadashcanadash
    We were supposed to do the Canadian Gloria this past year, but our Parish Priest asked us to sing the ICEL. Now, I think we are the only parish who doesn't know it. I think I will use in Ordinary time after Christmas. I like it and my choir will be pleased with the four part harmony!
  • RobertRobert
    @Andrew, this may be a silly answer, but if forced to assign it a mode I would classify it as archaic mode D; RE is both the dominant and final.

I suspect that if this melody were given a few centuries of evolution via oral transmission in a medieval Western European environment, a final SOL would organically emerge; then we could call it Mode 7.
    Thanked by 1IanW