Musical resources in Spanish for Triduum
  • JennyJenny
    Our parish has a weekly Mass in Spanish. The attendance at this Mass represents about 5% of our parish's weekly total. For the past few years, Holy Thursday Mass has been bilingual. The Spanish choir and the main choir both sing (the English choir basically learns both sets of music in order to pull it off) and the rest of the Mass switches back and forth between languages. Our Spanish speaking associate pastor has decided that next year, the whole Triduum will be 'fully bilingual'.

I am having a hard time seeing this in a positive light. Our Triduum Masses generally have 600-800 in attendance each night and only a small handful of them will be Spanish speaking. The Spanish choir is small and has a few good singers but the only music that they know is OCP Mexican-style pop. (The parish has Flor y Canto.) So far, any criticism of said style is met with cries that the critics are bigots and discriminatory.

So... can anybody point me in the direction of some Spanish language pieces suitable for the Triduum? I want to be able to offer some pieces to the music director for her consideration. They can't be too hard, although most likely the English choir will be learning them too which will allow for a higher degree of difficulty. I appreciate your help, as I don't speak or read Spanish.