Musica Sacra Missalette
  • The only way to eliminate bad missalettes is to offer a better one.

It's hard to convince a parish to abandon the missalette and buy a hymnal. So why don't we produce a better missalette and then use that to move them to a hymnal based on the missalette?
  • BenBen
    Ohh, that's a great idea.

Maybe something like a missalette version of the Vatican II hymnal. I wonder how hard it would be for Jeff O (or someone else with Jeff's source files) to extract the pertinent parts from the hymnal each season, add the daily Mass antiphons, and sell them as a subscription?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nope. A hand missal of any sort should have a distinct function other than being some sort of primer for poor listeners of their own vernacular (not counting hearing impaired.) The poorly dubbed missalette is the worst vestige of the presumed "need" during the immediate post-conciliar shift. A distinct function would be something resembling "Magnificat" that offers more than just daily and Sunday readings, prayers and Propers; or an inheritor to those which have side by side translations from the Latin to vernacular. Basically, my point is there is no such animal as a "better missalette."The move should be toward the revised St. Joseph purchased by individuals and families at their need and will, and "pulp missals" only provided to visitors or those who cannot afford the investment, which is minimal.
    In lieu of that, and for the sake of the American lingua franca, an ordo missale per Sunday would suffice. Thumbs down.
  • ryandryand
    Don't most folks here abhor the idea of disposable materials?

Should CMAA produce something that will need to be tossed into the dumpster every few months?
  • BenBen
    They are a pretty bad idea as a concept, but if a parish insists on using them, why not have one with quality sacred music that they could buy?
  • ryandryand
    If a parish insists on using them, they insist on wasting money and paper, and they insist on a seasonal disposal of the word of God.
  • chonakchonak
    I wonder if it might be practicable to make a business of designing music programs for parishes.

• CharlesW
    If the layout is similar to the VII hymnal, it will be 800 pages plus with a separate page for each hymn verse. My parish is spending a fortune on missalettes, and a hymnal is the only thing that makes good economic sense. However, there seems to be a major problem with each hymnal I have reviewed. I can see why the Protestants have gone to a giant screen in front.
  • jpal
    In a few years maybe there will just be e-readers tethered to all the pews, with the order of Mass, music, and readings already preprogrammed, and a live autotranscription of the homily!

There could also be a button to click if you plan on receiving communion, so that the host dispenser in the tabernacle can prepare the extra ciboria.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If it were done, it could be done with all 3 years of readings in it and with no copyright requiring parishes to throw them out. Then after the first year, when they look at their books and notice that they're still in decent shape, they'll wonder why they were required to throw those other ones out in the past.
  • CharlesW
    E-readers or tablets with the mass parts, music and readings might be an excellent idea. Certainly an improvement over the big screen. It could be a big help to those with vision impairment. The rest is impractical.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • CharlesW
    Matthewj, I could see a 3-year book as a viable alternative.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I wouldn't even list it as that, as it would sound like you'd be required to throw it away. Just don't list dates, list liturgical feasts (any that would replace a Sunday).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Providing the readings was and is still a big mistake. I have a feeling that the Sermon on the Mount would not have had quite the impact if people were reading it from tablets while Jesus spoke.

The apostles understood this and had to work very hard to put down in words what Jesus said and did. They and others wrote thousands and thousands of words (and are still doing so) to try to portray what it was like to be with Jesus.

It's time for people to learn to sit and listen to a person who has taken upon himself Holy Orders to read scripture, teach and say Mass.

It's time for priests to be like Jesus.

Cut the readings, save many trees.

Offer the new missallette with and without readings....the cost savings to parishes would make the decision easy for priests. There'd be a small stack of ones with the readings next to the hearing impaired devices.

Catholics up until the 1970's had a choice. They could buy a missal to follow the Mass or just sit and follow the Mass. They chose how actively they wished to participate.

Today all the eyes during the Mass are looking down into books while the priest is reading from the book for them. Does this make any sense? Does this focus the active attention and participation on what is transpiring during the Mass?

Do you go to a movie or play with the script in hand or do you watch, becoming part of a larger experience?

• I still remember the time in the early '70s when a Methodist friend went with my family to our (Roman Catholic) church. His first impression was that we prayed and sang from a "monthly magazine." (Likewise, I attended his church and said it seemed something like just a plain old meeting with a loose agenda: pastor says a few words, kid plays a French horn solo, there's a hymn, few more words from the pastor, guy gets up and talks about a mission trip, who knows what next.)
  • Chonak,

Parishes already have that - the magazine with choices in the back like the OCP one, so creating an alternate one that not only lays out the music but also eliminates the need for the missallette - would be greatly welcomed. And it could provide the music needed, educating them as it goes along. Great idea!
  • Exactly what do you think DOES belong in a well-designed Missallette that would make it attractive to the average parish?
  • It seems the Lumen Christie Missal is all that is required: permenant, propers, order of Mass, and various settings of the ordinary. What's really needed is a good quality hymnal: Latin and vernacular, ancient and modern. All quality tunes and texts and heresy free. By seperating the Missal from the hymnal, propers receive their pride of place. A good hymnal is still needed for optional recessionals, devotions and those occasions where "option 4" is invoked.

As for e-readers in the pews: be careful what you wish for. I've speculated (half jokingly and half fearfully) that the next major development from the big-3 is the "iMass": everyone pluggs in their earbuds and tunes out...I select my favorite hymn/song, I select which homily to listen to, and I select what time Mass ends, etc. Since most of the contemporary songs focus on me anyways, it's the next logical step.
    Thanked by 1SpeakNSpirit
  • Friends,

For what it's worth, this * was created to get rid of disposable Missalettes (please see first video). God bless!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I think this is a spectacular idea. I think one of the (albeit shortsighted) reasons many parishes don't fork out the money for a permanent hymnal or missal is because of the high up-front cost (Yes, I know it would pay for itself in three years....but a lot of parishes don't think that far ahead). Another issue is the fear that, once you pay that, you're stuck with it for 10 years. A solid, orthodox subscription service that gave proper centrality to the propers, a modal setting of the responsorial psalm, and a set of theologically sound hymns is an excellent idea. However, this would be time consuming and difficult...and so many places that do provide things like the Lumen Christi Missal, the St. Michael Hymnal, or the VII Hymnal are one or two man organizations....this would be a monumental project that never ends....but boy I'd like to see it.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I admit I like the electronic alternative. How difficult would it be to provide a few usb ports hooked up to a main PC per pew for people to use their tablets etc. Those that are able do and the rest use the hymnal/missalette until it catches on? No paper and a literal upgrade in worship aids without the OHP in the sanctuary issue.Thoughts?
  • Frogman, et al.
    I'm a strong believer in hymnals and agree that there is no substitute for a great hymnal. However, many parishes cannot afford hymnals or have to wait until the plumbing is fixed and every other maintenance issue is resolved before even approaching the idea with the Pastor.

Because so many parishes are in a holding pattern at any given time, I love this idea.
    I'm a pragmatist out of necessity and believe that there is a need for something that is high quality that can both; a. compete in the missallette market and- b.function as a great temporary solution for parishes that must wait to purchase hymnals.

I think it's only logical for a publisher to offer both, actually.

And in terms of paper, I am currently wasting more paper every week doing a "worship aid" then I think would be used in a seasonal missallette.

I would be a fan of this even if it were kept very simple - or simple-ish. Just some thoughts:
    1.good seasonal hymns w/excellent texts (I'm a fan of Worship Il - the texts are far more superior than Worship III - I have not perused the Vatican II hymnal, but I'm sure that's also excellent)
    2. a nice array of seasonal chant
    3. some nice art - like that found in the lovely Catholic Choir Book
    4. an array of good ordinary settings - both chant and other
    5. I guess it would have to have the readings - because without them - it will be impossible to get many pastors to subscribe (often they use them as a portable reference)
    6. Avoid the tendency to put in things like: three options for the Procession for Palm Sunday - is that really necessary? I don't know.
    7. It would be really helpful to include one set of chants for the priest - and the sung responses, i.e "it is right and just"
    8. If there were some way to emphasize that the procession should be accompanied by the Introit - and then a hymn could be sung - I would be ecstatic
    9. Maybe you could put a lovely etching of the priest saying mass 'ad orientum' (but not on the cover.)
    10. Perhaps some good Spanish hymns.

I don't think this would necessarily compete with the hymnal market. Most churches have hymnals and a missallette.
    The other thing that cannot be ignored, is that such a product could be extremely instructive. The potential is huge. I have to say that if we believe this sort of product is beneath certain standards, we miss a huge opportunity to influence the direction of the liturgy. Good luck, Frogman. Great idea, as always.

Thanked by 1Ben
  • TCJ
    Today all the eyes during the Mass are looking down into books while the priest is reading from the book for them. Does this make any sense? Does this focus the active attention and participation on what is transpiring during the Mass?

I will read along for the lector's parts because the ones around here are typically awful readers who make many, many mistakes and don't read clearly. For the gospel I can put it away because the priests are usual clear enough. Plus, honestly, I'd rather read it myself than listen to some lay lector.

On the original topic, while it sounds like a good idea at first, I think it'd just be encouragement for more churches to stick to disposable hymnals rather than an incentive to move on a little later.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jani
  • GavinGavin
    "I think it'd just be encouragement for more churches to stick to disposable hymnals rather than an incentive to move on a little later."

I agree. Can we please not peddle mediocrity?
    Thanked by 1BachLover2
  • I was unaware that I had the reputation for mediocrity in what I do.

Negative thinking will keep the liturgy and music in the churches where it is at now.

This project would be made available as a print and electronic product. It is designed to reach people where they are at now and in the future.
  • Look, I think we all agree that beautiful, permanent hymnals and missals are the best way to go.

But do we really want to hold back the cause of authentic musical and liturgical renewal because we refuse to entertain this idea? Come on, folks...let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • ryandryand
    Missalettes are a waste of resources .... monetary and physical.

Let's not let CMAA stoop to that level.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    CMAA is us.
    If frogman would like to stoop, he should feel free.
    If frogman needs any particular help, many of us would volunteer, and many of us would not. And many of us would really like to but are super busy and can't even manage to work on our projects.

My opinion is that it could be really useful.

My other opinion is that we won't know that until it starts to exist.

And my other opinion is a list of requests/suggestions:
    -LaTeX
    -LilyPond
    -Gregorio
    -GitHub
    -GPL
    Thanked by 2Gavin Adam Schwend

• Is this stooping?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well the page-turning sound is a little cheesy.
  • A permenant hymnal really is less expensive than a disposable one. We're only talking $20 at the most for a book that will last 10 years or more. Still, I think a hymnal should be just that--a hymnal. The service book/missalette should be a seperate book; and while a worthy leather bound missal would be ideal, I can see the need for a seasonal disposable missalette. Most PIP don't know how to navagate a real Missal; the liturgical calendar is confusing to say the least. Being able to open up to the page with today's date and see all the propers of the day without having to flip around would certainly be helpful for those who require that level of assistance. If a missalette could be produced that contained only what was required: order of Mass, propers of the day and readings, that should be fairly inexpensive since there would be no copyrighted pop songs in the appendix. A custom worship aid produced in-house (at the pariah level) would be even better since the music notation for the Mass ordinary setting could be inserted (again less flipping around). I wouldn't include any ordinary settings in a missalette or hymnal since it makes the books too unwieldy. A small Kyriale of must-have chant settings might be nice, but no hymnal/missalette could ever provide an exhuative sample of Mass settings. 50% of our current hymnal is devoted to Mass settings and psalm paraphrases, most of which we never use.
  • GavinGavin
    As Adam said, the CMAA is us. It's the members. The CMAA might promote such a product, but it isn't going to create it, anymore than it created the Vatican II Hymnal, Simple English Propers, etc. If Noel wants to make it, he can go ahead. Someone can write a Chant Cafe blurb about this "great new product", and there can be a link to it on the Musica Sacra website. No one's stopping Noel from doing this, and no one will hinder its promotion.

I, however, oppose the very concept of a missalette. I would not buy such a product, written by anyone, and I would encourage my colleagues to do the same. It is mediocrity in book form. The idea of a "good misalette" is like the "benign dictator." The misalette is bad because of what it is (a disposable approach to the liturgy), just as a dictator is malicious because of what he is (an infringement upon liberty).

Perhaps it would be a better use of resources to create small, cheap pamphlets which could be inserted covertly into the pages of misalettes. All it would say is: "COST OF A HYMNAL FOR 15 YEARS: $X. COST OF MISALETTE SUBSCRIPTION FOR 15 YEARS: $Y. MONEY FROM YOUR POCKET SPENT ON THIS RESOURCE: $Z. HOW ARE YOUR PARISH COUNCIL AND PASTOR SPENDING YOUR MONEY?" Then a URL to the Vatican II Hymnal website.
  • Jani
    1. If you produce a hymnal, I would probably buy it.
    2. If you would design a music program for my parish, I would probably buy it.
    3. Poorly read readings at Mass are the biggest distraction ever. I'm with TCJ on this.

You all have me thinking though - I am going to push to get rid of OCP and go with something else. Just as soon as I figure out what I'm doing...
  • GavinGavin
    Vatican II Hymnal, Jani.
  • "COST OF A HYMNAL FOR 15 YEARS: $X. COST OF MISALETTE SUBSCRIPTION FOR 15 YEARS: $Y. MONEY FROM YOUR POCKET SPENT ON THIS RESOURCE: $Z. HOW ARE YOUR PARISH COUNCIL AND PASTOR SPENDING YOUR MONEY?"

They are spending it wisely, knowing that changes keep happening and the decision to purchase a hymnal is way beyond their ability. They've got a musician that is younger than their barber or doctor telling them to buy "ZXCVB" because it's the newest and best. They are also aware that the person saying this will probably be gone within 3 or 4 years, if not sooner - since they cannot pay enough to keep musicians employed.

What's the cost of being saddled for 13 years with a hymnal your predecessor bought 2 years earlier. A hymnal is not a permanent thing, just like a missallette, and the longer it lasts the less useful it is as there is no "perfect" hymnal.

The 1940 is probably the most "perfect" hymnal that has been created. A very few parishes still use it.

How many of you still have beaten up copies of Glory and Praise in your pews? Sometimes a liturgical aid is better when it is disposable.

Sacred cows....it is clear that OCP and others are the business of disposable materials because in comparison there is no market for hymnals.

Music publishers fail when they publish what they want to publish instead of what the people want. When an editor chooses to go against public opinion, even in what people consider to be minor details, it hurts sales tremendously.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Maybe persuade Magnificat to bring the propers to the front. They can copy the LC model? Magnificat + one of "our" missals ?
  • If Mag published a Sunday edition and added the propers text and left everything else the exact way it is they would have the strongest contender in the entire market.

See message about Illuminaire below.

And that would eliminate any need for anyone from MS trying to market one. With the unfortunate situation with the OF being interpreted as a free-form liturgy and music situation and the still up in the air situation with translations, very few pastors are willing to buy anything semipermanent like a hymnal.

This is further supported by the cantors, music directors and organists who are untrained and only doing what they learned to do from their predecessors....new is spelled with a large N & O.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe things are better here, but I can't think of any parishes offhand using the old "Glory & Praise" book. Maybe about 20% of parishes use a hymnal, and the rest various disposables.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • I think it's obvious to anyone who could do the simplest of math that, in the long run, permanent hymnals and missals are cheaper and a better use of resources.

However...as I said, for some parishes, long-term costs aren't the only factor...Cash flow is one factor, and forking out $10K-$20K all at once is tough to swallow. So something with a lower initial cost would be needed.

Another issue for some is fear. What if they DO fork out all this money and end up not liking the product or end up not liking this (as they perceive) "new sacred music thing". They are scared to be saddled with a resource that is unpopular with their congregations, or will not be used by their music directors.

I don't see the disposable hymnal/missal idea as a long-term solution. What I DO see it as is an opportunity for parishes who are either cash poor or who are entering the idea of authentic musical and liturgical reform with great trepidation to wade into the water of quality music and liturgy without total fear. It think it would allow these sorts of parishes who are not considering a resource like the St. Michael Hymnal, the VII Hymnal, or the Lumen Christi Missal to "try it out", as it were. I'm unable to understand why so many insist on remaining absolutely purists at the expense of parishes who really, honestly want to try and make this work.

This wouldn't be aimed at parishes with solid programs and congregations and clergy that are 100% on board. It would be aimed at parishes who know there's something better than what is standard now, but doesn't feel it has the congregational support to make a wholesale switch...transitions take time and take a certain comfort level. A resource like this would allow this comfort level to grow.

Usually I pride myself in understanding the other side of an argument...but other than just being ideologue and and unrealistic, I just don't get it. Not every parish is going to jump on board with our mission 100% immediately and whole-heartedly. Why not try to help the less solid parishes have a slower, easier transition, instead of just leaving the whole niche to OCP, who is never going to support what we do. Sorry folks. I just don't understand.
  • ryandryand
    Adam Schwend,

I must admit ... you've changed my mind. A missalette of good quality could be a great transitional resources for parishes that are stuck in the OCP model.

(This is a good article about how parishes get "hooked" http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=4265&CFID=20760707&CFTOKEN=20160302)

So, if this were to happen, how does it happen? How are materials chosen, how is the layout determined, who does the typesetting, etc?

I would be on board to help with a project like this, with the understanding that it's just to help parishes transition to something better. Maybe once they're used to a "better" missalette after a couple of years, they'll consider something like St. Michael or VII.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It would be interesting to see CCW or Illuminare publish a missalette version of their primary offering, as a sort of gateway drug.
  • I have to admit that I failed miserably into not looking at Illuminaire in depth and made assumptions about it that were greatly flawed. I misunderstood what it is intended for - thought it was for the TLM market. Great apologies, Adam B!

Based upon their website FAQ:

Q. I don’t think my parish is quite ready for the Lumen Christi Missal, but I want to get rid of our disposable missalettes and hymnal that has so many problematic hymns and songs. What can I do?

A. The Lumen Christi Missal is a richly comprehensive book that contains many of the inestimable riches of our liturgical tradition. The beauty of it, though, is that it can be implemented slowly, gradually, and pastorally into the life of your parish. Most parishes purchase seasonal missalettes for nothing more than the Lectionary readings and Daily Mass antiphons. The LCM can be introduced simply as a replacement for these–paying for itself in a few years–and in time and with catechesis the musical settings contained in it can be gradually introduced into your parish’s repertoire.

I propose that this IS the publisher who should be creating a Missalette and that we should be supporting. Without any question. I have contacted others who might be very effective in this market and have been told that they have no interest. Adam B's a future-thinker and he'd have my support - thoughts and encouragement for this, friends?

Anyone can create a missal/hymnal - but Adam's already proven he can do it in a way that makes it attractive in all ways. .
  • Frogman: Having had no information on this Missal before, I had already decided to purchase one and look into it - but I doubt I'd disagree with you. It sounds great.

Adam Schwend: Thank you for saying what I was trying to say much better. You have described my situation pretty well - only it's much worse. I don't know how common my situation is, but I do know that it's not exactly "business as usual" in my parish.
    So, here's my disclaimer:

Caveat:At the moment, I'm fighting so many "battles" to keep a fragile, beautiful music program going into 2013 - on very little money - that I have much more basic issues with which to contend. So, please, friends, my comments must be understood in that light. I admit, I'd use just about anything if it was solidly Catholic. However, my situation is probably not all that rare, so it might be something a "missalette publisher" should take into consideration. (?)

I'm the little guy with my finger in the dike. I have more basic battles and they all can be summed up in three words; "PARISH CASH FLOW."

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Lumen Christie seems to be the answer. I still see a need for a solid catholic hymnal. Vat. 2 or Adoremus as good as they are would never pass the selection committee. Sadly, Gather 4 would, which is why I'm stalling. Why isn't there a Catholic hymnal that offers the best traditional hymns with unaltered texts, all of jubilate Deo, as well as good quality contemporay songs and hymns (Gift of Finest Wheat?) that while not the ideal for liturgical use at least contain no theological errors or social agendae. Psalm paraphrases such as OEW would even be ok, just no Ruth Duck. After a parish makes the transition to singing propers more often than not, popular hymns could still be used as prelude / recessional and other occassions outside of Mass.

I confess that I have not yet seen a St. Michael hymnal. Is it all that?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Both CCW and Illuminaire are not possibilities...I have contacted another possible source and am awaiting an answer.
  • If I walked into a parish and saw disposable missalettes filled with chant propers, traditional hymns, and latin my reaction wouldn't be "Ugh, disposable missalettes, what garbage!" I doubt any of you would think that.

I would probably get a personal subscription, just to support whichever company took the time to put a fantastic new resources together.
  • Anyone seen this new missal "Laudamus Te". I just got an email from Aquinasandmore.com toting a new subscription to this missal which boasts a following of the 1962 missal???

It boasts having the propers for the mass as well as weekday. Has english/latin side by side and is a missalette oriented subscription.

http://www.laudamus-te.com/
    Thanked by 1a1437053
  • At first glance appears to be an excellently done Magnificat-style TLM book - very nice!

Sample Pages
  • Yes. Samples were given at my parish this weekend. It is put together by really great folks. I am in the process of recording the chants on the back of the publication for their website. It is a lot like Magnificat, but for the TLM.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Odd layout choice of visually emphasizing the English translation over the Latin original. Also the use of hieratic (Anglican-style) English betrays the link between prayers spoken in Latin at an EF and the prayers spoken in English at a vernacular OF.

Some other weird quirks here and there. But generally, an attractive publication.
  • Using the OF translation would have drastically diminished sales of this book!