Best Advent/Christmas music for children?
  • Claire H
    Just wondering what your suggestions/treasures are! Looking for simple yet beautiful titles in various languages, either unison, 2-part, or canon.

Does anyone know of some kind of "Gloria" canon (not the full text of the Mass, but just a simple piece with the text "Gloria in excelsis Deo", since that is integral to Christmas!)

Thank you in advance!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (wrong thread...)
  • There is a Taize Gloria in canon. It's not long, and the recordings I heard on quick online perusal were...less than stellar, but it's definitely a joyful little canon.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Iona Community also has a simple canon (or maybe just a part song) on "Gloria In Excelsis Deo" in their "Shorter Songs for Worship" collection.
  • Ally
    Jubilate Deo (the round, not the book) is going well with the kids here. They were excited when the other week, we went into a 4 part round instead of 2.

There are several Taize canons that are simple and beautiful - Patricia Cecilia, thanks for the reminder!

Also on Christmas Eve, the kids are singing "Adore Te Devote" in English. Simple, but they are convinced it is cool that a saint wrote it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Have them sing it Latin.
    Or as my brother tells his Children's Choir, "Harry Potter language."
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen gregp Ally
  • Check out the Ward hymnal (free dowload from MS).
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • miacoyne
    I wish the Ward Hymnal was available in print.
  • I've been hunting around recently for my children's choir too. At this point in the year, I'm slowly trying to sneak in some simple harmonies for them, but I can't do anything too elaborate. One thing I found for Advent that I really like is this: http://www.pnms.co.uk/small-choirs/downloads/index.html#creator_of_the_stars

It's teaching them the melody of Conditor alme siderum, but it's translated to English and switches between the chant and then a more metered version of the chant with a descant on top for some variety.

My problem with the kids is that I still struggle with filtering out things that are a bit too complex for them, even if it is still only two parts. I find things that I love and then get to rehearsal and realize I may have bitten off more than they can chew!
  • I actually prefer the digital download since I can just print the pages I need and put them in a binder for the choir.

It is difficult selecting repertoire for a children's choir since there are often so many unknowns. Lst minute programming changes are inevitable I suppose.