Advent tunes for children
  • ryandryand
    I need a couple of simple tunes for kids to sing that are "Adventy" (direct quote).

This is just for a morning workshop on a weekend. Doesn't need to be "appropriate for mass" or anything, just something that little kids could pick up and sing together in a few minutes. They'd like one appropriate for pre-k through 3rd grade, and another for 4th through 8th.

Thought I'd ask around here since I've got little experience with this sort of thing. I've done K-8 music before, but that was at a parish where the pastor printed the SEP antiphons in the bulletin. Now I'm working where OCP has been the norm for decades. Quite different!

If you've got any suggestions, please chime in. Much appreciated.
  • BenBen
    Creator alme siderum? You could use it in english or latin.
  • rogue63
    The Story of Redemption for Children, with texts by Fr. Joseph Abair, is available as a download on this website. It uses Creator Alme Siderum , among others, like Te Lucis Ante Terminum, Jesu Dulcis, and some psalm tones as the tunes for some lovely texts. The whole book uses newly composed texts set to chant tunes, and they go quite simply. My choirs have enjoyed, and they were easy to learn.
  • ryandryand
    rogue63,
    I used that a bit last year. Again ... probably not going to work at this parish. Not yet anyway, not with just a few minutes to teach the kids and have them sing it.

Ben,
    I'm not familiar with that but I'll check it out. Thanks.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    People Look East

Creator Alme Siderum- you may be familiar with it in English: Creator of the Stars of Night. There is almost nothing more Adventy.
  • BenBen
    Ryan,

It's a vespers hymm for advent. As Adam said, it's in many hymnals as Creator of the Stars of Night, with the tune often listed as the latin name.
  • Ally
    Yes, People Look East and Creator of the Stars of Night!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And let's not forget the most Adventy thing ever, Veni, Veni Emmanuel.
    Thanked by 3Ben Ally nicolem
  • Ally
    Adam - You mean it's not "Soon and Very Soon"? :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Totally forgot about that one. Definitely belongs at the top of the list (of things to never sing ever).
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • I was about to write 'People Look East' and I see Adam beat me to it.

There's a short (ABA), pseudo-gospel piece called 'My Lord, He is a-comin' soon' (the original version is in the spiral 'ecumenical hymnal' Cry Hosanna; a fancy version here: http://www.hopepublishing.com/html/main.isx?sitesec=1.2.4.0&workid=3417) that kids love--quick to learn and sing. (Some of the youngsters don't have the b3, so I had them sing "the way of the Lord" in the last phrase on b4 and let the older ones take the melody. I wouldn't use it at Mass!, but for Sunday School etc it's great, and is more theologically correct than "Soon and Very Soon" [what, we're all dying? Or are we talking about adoring Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament? I've never been clear on that].)
  • Kathy
    Creator Alme Siderum, Veni Veni Emanuel, and Rorate Caeli Desuper. (Grownups sing the verses the first year.)
  • Comfort, Comfort ye, My People.

http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/PsH/194

(original version, more traditional language
    http://www.hymnary.org/text/comfort_comfort_ye_my_people)

Pleasing 3+3+2+2+2 rhythm, satisfying to learn and sing.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that's a cool tune
  • The Ward hymnal has several hymns that are appropriate for children's voices for various seasons. It's written in "Ward notation" that is numerical solfege. May not be the quick fix you're loolong for but some beautiful melodies that are pedigogically sound if you have adequite rehearsal time. I'm currently working on a few with my children's choir.

O come devine Messiah pairs well with People Look East.

Another kiddy song that the adults in your current situation would probably like is Light one Candle to watch for Messiah. Ironically it's a Hebrew folk song. Easy to learn. I know it's in GIA's Singing Our Faith children's hymnal, though I'm sure it can be found as a single.
  • ryandryand
    Earl,

That's an excellent idea. I'd have no qualms with writing them out in standard notation either. Maybe with the youngest, the notation won't even be necessary, but I never even thought to look to the Ward Hymnal.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Your welcome. The forum can be really useful for things other than airing complaints!
  • Now, Earl Grey, have a cup of tea and forget all about those snarky comments that I'm sure 'we forum dwellers' have already confessed - (or keep meaning to).
    Wait, is this a forum for Liturgical Musicians or a self help group for the severely burnt out, underpaid, embattled, unappreciated church musicians -- who are now also twisted and bitter? We have seen the enemy and it is us! Where am I? :)

Anyway, I was just going to suggest: The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns
    It's short, nice melody and rather pleasant.

Thanked by 2canadash Earl_Grey