Agnus Dei by Arvo Part
  • francis
    Have any of you ever heard this? Simply beautiful!

http://grooveshark.com/#!/artist/Arvo+P+rt/5424
  • Great composer with a sense for sacred music!
  • marajoymarajoy
    I recently heard his Beatitudes. Fabulous organ-rock-out at the end!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I recently heard his Beatitudes. Fabulous organ-rock-out at the end!
    I was fortunate enough to sing Pärt's Beatitudes with Zephyrus maybe ten(?) years ago, and, yes, the organ part at the end is indeed spectacular!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • francis
    yes, love the beatitudes.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One of my faves is his early little gem sol-feggio. One of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments of simple genius.
  • marajoymarajoy
    there's like, 100's of pieces by him on grooveshark... what should I listen to next?
  • I totally dig his Litany, his Berliner Messe, and his Missa Syllabica. His Passio is all right, but Tabula Rasa is really nice.
    Thanked by 2marajoy chonak
  • chonakchonak
    The Cantus for eight cellos in memory of Benjamin Britten is incredibly poignant.
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • francis
    marajoy

enjoy them all! I was pointing out the Berliner Mass Agnus... had never heard that one myself.

ClemensRomanus

i never cared for the Passio... too much minimilism for my taste.
  • Francis, definitely agree about Passio. Not my favorite.
  • Listen to his Veni Sancte Spiritus. Perfection.

His Berliner Messe CD was playing in a Tower Records years ago in Ann Arbor. The Gloria in excelsis washed over everyone in the store with such power, I found myself rushing to the counter to buy it. I didn't care if it was the only copy in existence...I had to have it. Never again has a CD pulled me in like that.
  • So, Maximum Minimalism is the oxymoron of the week!
  • francis
    I have heard many pieces with a maximum amount of minimal music, and some with a maximum amount of no music.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    GIRM 45 and 4'33" by John Cage, liturgical pioneer!

Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Alas, Charles. OCP couldn't get the rights to 4'33" and opted for "Sing to the Mountains" instead! I understand that you get a case of Far Niente (of your choice) if you purchase
    all the remaining copies!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • I will never forget the Sunday after 9/11 - I don't know how or why it happened, but we had prepared the Berliner Messe the previous week and sang it at mass that morning (the edition with organ instead of orchestral accompaniment). I don't remember what the offertory motet was. The motet at communion was a stark and very beautiful minimalist setting of Ave verum corpus written by a talented composition student at the Cleveland Institute of Music. It had a very high soprano part with the other voices providing a rather subdued background; the organ had a muted part with lots of repeated notes very similar to Part's accompaniments. There were shivers going up my spine that day.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Far Niente!! O wow!!! It's been awhile.
  • francis
    sing to the mountains... 4'33... sing to mountains... 4'33...

hmmm... i'd rather do the cage at the liturgy and just rename it sacred silence
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Sing to the ceiling, sing to the floor
    Sing 'til your throat bleeds, sing some more....."

I really don't want to demean Bob Dufford personally. He was the soul that tracked me down in Chicago 79 and let me know our third daughter was born. Duff is a really fine man, a true gentleman and spirit, and I would imagine a faithful priest.
  • francis
    melo... not talking about BD... talking about the song STTM.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, I was the one joking about Dufford, not you. So I was "criticizing" myself, not you, for purloining his tune for satire's sake. No harm, no foul.

Therefore, the snare of the fouler shall never capture you!
    Oops, I did it again. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • francis
    o...

happy thanksgiving to you too.