Theme for Advent?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    My pastor is interested in having a "theme" for Advent this year.

I believe that there must be a dignified, reverent way to do this. I also think that it might be an opportunity to push the liturgies in the right direction in general, as there isn't much dialogue about liturgy in my parish.

I have been in full-time parish ministry for 2+ years, but I haven't had to do something like this yet. I want it to be successful, and very much in continuity with our Catholic tradition. I have a week or so to come up with something, and your insights would be sincerely appreciated.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • CharlesW
    I have had several themes over the years. One year, I used many compositions, both sung and played, based on "Savior of the Nations Come." It amazed me the number of pieces based on it. Look through the Advent section of your hymnal and see what appeals to you.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A musical theme? Or a theme like "Journeying on the way" or "Pilgrims walking together"?
  • jpal
    I had to do this at a previous post, but I wasn't particularly a fan of the concept because the theology in the Advent liturgy is so incredibly rich, having a trite "theme" can dumb it down. I always pushed for phrases taken from scripture verses found in the Advent liturgy. I would suggest going here and clicking on the "L" next to each feast to get some ideas from the various propers.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • canadashcanadash
    "Rorate coeli desuper et nubes pluant justum."
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I think he's interested in a theme like Adam has described, but he has not been specific.

Bearing in mind I have never done this before, and still completely open to suggestions, I think it might be wise to have some sort of a "title" (as trite as that may be) in addition to musical and liturgical plans for the season.

Some of the thoughts I have had already include:

--beginning with a chant-like hymn, perhaps consistent throughout the season (Conditor alme siderum, for example)
    --going into the SEP introit
    --utilizing a chant-like ordinary ( http://www.stmichaelhymnal.com/Portals/0/catholic/hymnal/Downloadable Music/Mass of the Patriarchs (FULL SCORE).pdf ) with harmony parts for the choir
    --and chanting the dialogues

--------------------

I think that these would all be good ideas to move the liturgy in the right direction. Is there a theme that anyone can think of that might make sense with these ideas? Do these seem like good ideas to everyone?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • JahazaJahaza
    The "Four Last Things: Death, Judgment, Heaven, and Hell" is a traditional theme for Advent. Each "last thing" is preached across the four Sundays of Advent respectively.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • CharlesW
    One year, we made the "O" antiphons our theme, with different ones emphasized each week.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Howabout "Mayan Crystal Skulls Armageddon? You could have Adv.1-Conquistadors for Christ; Adv.2-Cristeros Prevail!; Adv.3- OLOG and San Juan Diego Prevail; Adv.4Viva Cristo Rey, It's Dec. 23rd!
  • Isn't Advent itself a Theme?
  • Ally
    Yes, those are good ideas, you could use this as a great opportunity!
    At least you don't have a trite and inappropriate pop song as a theme...

Someone gave me a "light" theme once before and I did use that to introduce "Creator of the Stars of Night". I'll bet you could pick a chant or justify the other things on your list for almost any Advent-y phrase, especially from Scripture.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • CharlesW
    Howabout "Mayan Crystal Skulls Armageddon? You could have Adv.1-Conquistadors for Christ; Adv.2-Cristeros Prevail!; Adv.3- OLOG and San Juan Diego Prevail; Adv.4Viva Cristo Rey, It's Dec. 23rd!

Only in California, I guess! LOL. Besides, there will be no Dec. 23rd. The world will have already ended.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Ally
  • Forgive for suggesting this, but shouldn't the theme be the entrance song proper for each week? A poster in the narthex could say ADVENT and then have each of these printed out below it - a mailing could go out to the parish about the theme being (horrors) exactly what the Church has established as the theme.

So singing the proper would be proper for people to ponder.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen fp Jenny
  • The "Four Last Things: Death, Judgment, Heaven, and Hell" is a traditional theme for Advent. Each "last thing" is preached across the four Sundays of Advent respectively.

What's the deal, couldn't they come up with 2 more and do this in Lent where they might be appropriate?
  • chonakchonak
    Hm? The end of the world really fits in better with the Sundays before Advent.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, I knew RC would get my "gallows" humor! Glory, glory hallelujah.