Tips, please, for when writing from chord progression to four-part writing?
  • Any tips from the pros for when I start to flesh it out? It's usually after setting the chords, in assigning particular notes to particular parts, that I really make a mess of things. Thanks!

Attached: Basic chord progression laid out under set melody.
  • One thing you might try is writing a good bass line to your melody. Since the melody moves primarily by steps, it will be important for the bass to move in contrary motion in most instances in which the melody moves by step (2nd). Rather than harmonizing in the left hand with root position chords, try first harmonizing in "keyboard style," i.e. bass voice in left hand, all other voices in right hand. When melody and bass together suggest a first inversion chord expand the right hand from closed position chords to an open "1-5-8" voicing. This technique, combined with "keyboard style" and contrary motion when bass is moving by step, will help you to avoid parallel fifths and octaves. Avoiding these consecutive intervals is key to maintaining a consistent texture of a given number of voices.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I can't sight-sing the harmonization in my head, but the I like the melody- sturdy and singable.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Points of clarification, EAF- you're wanting a homophonic setting?
    Are you "married" to the chord assignments given originally?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Not at all. But I'm only just starting, so I went with something as barebones and solid as I could screw up my head into assigning.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My humble recommendations:

(1) Ditch the chord progressions in your attempts to write singable 4-part harmony. This is a technique better (and even then, ill) suited to strummed accompaniment in song writing. Indeed, in the example given, one gets the impression from the assignment of half-note chords on beats one and three, that the melody notes of beats two and four are unimportant and mostly relegated to passing note status. This is not good practice for solo song writing, and it is even further from being a hallmark of good 4-part hymn writing.

(2) Starting with a bass line (moving generally with the same tactus as the melody) is sometimes (but not always) a good start, in that it forces the hymn composer to think about 2-part counterpoint. However, in the course of composing a richer 3- or 4-part structure, almost invariably either the original bass line will likely prove inadequate in a few - or several - places, forcing you to change it to something else or perhaps even altering the melody (if that is permissible).

(3) The previous point points to the necessity of understanding that, in good hymn composition, one must face squarely the issues of 4-part harmony and counterpoint, striving for a balance amongst voice leading in individual parts, vertical integrity of the harmony, and the overall harmonic rhythm and melodic flow of all four parts. This is not always to achieve in practice, and many attempts will be assigned to the wastebasket or (do not) recycle bin.

(4) If you are somewhat inexperienced with 4-part writing and have progressed to the point of being able to construct a singable 2-part texture (not necessarily melody-bass, since 2-part counterpoint is less concerned with harmonization), then you might do well to proceed to 3-part writing instead of jumping directly to 4-part writing. For one thing, SABar compositions often are better suited, for better or worse, to the singing abilities of present day choirs and congregations.

(5) Whether writing 3-part or 4-part hymn music (or 4-part music augmented with one or two descant parts, as I am wont to do at times) you have to be prepared – again and again, always – to modify your previous work with a view to improving the result or even to fashioning entirely new harmonizations (that may, in the end, prove to be better - or worse - than the original).

(6) Seek was to discipline and ennoble yourself in hymn writing. Study the venerable and classic hymn tunes, as well as and how they have been harmonized. Working with good hymn tunes, do try to compose descants for them, altering the lower voices if necessary to achieve acceptable or even good results. And don't shy away from composing a new harmonization of a standard hymn tune – it can be a hardy task that deepens your own abilities. Compose 3- and 4-part music that is not necessarily destined for or even intended for hymn or choral music. Start with shorter pieces or meters ... a Short Meter (66. 86) tune is generally easier to work with than a Long Meter Double (88. 88. 88. 88) tune ... in the same way that a couplet or even a limerick is far easier to pen than a sonnet.

Finally, if it truly is in your blood, don't let the discouraging moments and inevitable lapses or failures get the best of you. Create what you enjoy – and enjoy what you create.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>a couplet or even a limerick is far easier to pen than a sonnet.

There once was a rhyme to compose
    And someone thought, "I can write those."
    When he finished line four,
    He thought so no more,
    and decided not to adhere so closely to established rhyming patterns.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The penchant to write hymns or verse
    A blessing can be, or a curse.
      When showing my tune
      To someone last June,
    She said that I couldn't do worse.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A haiku can be
    easier to write, but hard
    to set to music
  • DougS
    Messiaen set seven of them!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    EAF-why not just have Royce do a vocal beat box and rap whatever lyric?
    MeMENtoNOStriDOmine-inBENe-PLA-CI-TO---PO-PU-LI, TUi, TUi, tuituiTUi! font>
    Election humor, having just wasted my vote in California.
  • Thank you all for the advice!
  • At the most basic level, open 5ths in the left hand and then finding somewhere to put the 3rd in the right hand helps. If the melody line contains the 3rd, then add the 1st.

Certain movements of the bass work well, such as adding a note to walk to bass from say the tonic to the relative minor (think C, B then A for a C to Am progression).

Experiment and there will be times when either the 3rd or the 5th of the chord will work well as the bass note.

Ironically, one of the best ways to figure out what works is to try and play a few good traditional hymns on the guitar. Kind of a working-backwards solution to the problem.

When I started playing keyboard and later organ for church when I was 9 years old I only had lead sheets to play from. I had the words, a melody line and guitar chords. I eventually found a way of improvising an accompaniment using the principles outlined above. I later went on to fully note-out some of these accompaniments, but never shared any of them around. If I dig them up, I'll share them around.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • What do you mean? Keep in mind, please, I only know High School-level music theory and am at heart a trombone player. (My instrument doesn't need so much a hand as a disfigured claw.)
  • francis
    I know this will sound like a bit much, but it will severely improve your skills. Plan to do this over a period of years.

Copy all the Bach chorales.
    Copy the Bach chorales into different keys.
    Copy the 1940 hymnal. (which is now online!)

(copy = by hand!)
  • chonakchonak
    You might find it worthwhile to read the classic counterpoint book by Johann Fux, ideally with a coach to guide you through exercises.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A living coach for Fux is ideal of course, but have a peek as well at Mozart's corrections to Atwood's exercises which may be perused online here, in series X/30/1 of the NMA.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • chonakchonak
    Just for fun, here's one of my counterpoint exercises this week: here.