• I was blessed to have sung the wonderful Exultet in English many times, as a woman music minister, however, I do not like this new translation. YUK!! "Bees"?? the new Roman Missal English translation and the changes to the timeless Exultet those beautiful English words and phrases -- are absolutely awful - the grace and poetic "Father how wonderful your care for us - how boundless your merciful love" were prayers, sublime. The new words cannot compare.
    If it aint broke dont fix it, Rome.

This was a comment posted on one of our YouTubes. I'm not sure what to make of the "changes to the timeless Exultet."
  • Um, I think the timeless Exultet mentioned bees (our sisters). (I think that's your point, right, Paul?)
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • GavinGavin
    Not really much to make of it. You just set the text that Rome gives!
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Can't read too much into things...

I like the old Exsultet text. I like the new one also (and I like the fact that it is more accurate). But if you don't know what has happened or why, it's easy to think that things have just changed for no good reason. (I blame priests for this. There was no reason that the new translation should have taken anyone by surprise).

Remember, for most people, the word "traditional" (and the whole concept of it) means one of the following:
    -stuff I liked from when I was a kid.
    -stuff I hate that my parents liked when they were kids.
    -any song present in the previous hymnal but not in the current one.

Also remember: most people who comment on YouTune videos are... what's the nice way to say totally out of their minds?...um... a bit odd.

Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • I would suggest that the person doesn't understand what a "translation" actually is, and I would suggest that this person is not alone in her misunderstanding.

ALSO: Can a woman really sing the Exsultet?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • The new translation is not unequivocally superior to the old, I'd say. The old had some freer renderings, it's true -- but some of them were quite happy faults, including the quoted one.

A lay person can sing the Exsultet (excluding the preface dialogue bits) if necessary.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I did think it was interesting that she pointed out that she was "a woman music minister." If one thinks that women are able to sing the exsultet (I do, and she clearly does) I don't really see how it is relevant to mention it. It's not like her critique of the new translation is based on a feminist understanding of something something.

Wait, now I'm analyzing it again. That's an easy trap to fall into. Let me backup and restate:
    YouTube commenters are crazy. And People are dumb.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And to answer the question in more detail...

Can a woman really sing the Exsultet?

Yes, as a lay person. (Actually, I think some of the dialog bits specify that they are omitted if not sung by a deacon or priest).

It would be better if it were sung by a deacon. But not every deacon has a voice worthy of such an auspicious proclamation. (An unhappy fault, I'm afraid).
    Thanked by 1ParleyDee
  • It would be better if it were sung by a deacon. But not every deacon has a voice worthy of such an auspicious proclamation. (An unhappy fault, I'm afraid).

So Benedict should stop intoning the Gloria because his voice is aging and no longer auspicious? It is essential to establish that the quality of singing not be more important than that fact that the person has taken upon himself Holy Orders.

Maria Callas had an ugly voice. Maria Callas is one of my favorite opera singers. She took it upon herself to be an opera singer.

EDIT: Purple to indicate a humorous intent rather than critical!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Short incipits are a bit different than prolonged proclamations, in my opinion.

But in theory I agree with you, and if I were MD in an RC parish, I would attempt to cajole the deacons and priests into regular voice lessons. It's not like the Exsultet should come as a surprise that can't be prepared for ahead of time.

Still, it is permissible for a lay person (male or female) to sing the Exsultet, and it is permissible precisely because in some less-than-ideal situations, it is the best option.

EDIT: I just noticed the use of purple text. Hm. Odd- what you said seemed perfectly reasonable.
  • I generally am glad about the new translation and find most of it to be an improvement - however, I also strongly prefer the old Exultet text to the new one.
  • Think about this. First and foremost, this is a prayer to be recited by one in the ministerial priesthood. While it is permissible for a lay person to do it, would not one find it strange that a female voice is intoning it?
  • Ally
  • Even the Spanish translation of the Exultet has "bees" in it. The corrected translation is much better.
  • aldrich
    Perhaps, they like the bee deconstructed as "winged creatures that confect the wax in what matter the sacred candle is fashioned."
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen