Which Psalm translations are acceptable?
  • I was going to log on just to ask this question, and then I find that it has been answered, just not under this heading. If you would like to see a full discussion of this topic, go to the thread "Exciting News" from Oct. 27 and read through the answers. It starts appearing a few answers in, so keep reading.

Remarkably, the answers are given with no snark or abuse, whose regular appearance are the reason I don't spend too much time on this list any more.

Kenneth
  • The Grail Psaler (revised) is approved for use along with what is in the Lectionary right now.
  • It takes a thick skin to be a catholic church musician. We train them here to persevere and live with honor.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just out of curiosity, is the Anglican Prayer Book Psalter (as appearing in the Book of Divine Worship) allowed in non-Anglican-Use Roman Rite parishes?
  • Which Psalm translations are acceptable?

This is a question only the USCCB Secretariat can answer, since so many 'renegade' texts have been approved over the last 40 years.

I am sorry this is the answer. But this is the truth.

Please also c.f. my comments here:

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/7667/
  • chonakchonak
    For convenience, here's a summary:
    Under USCCB rules, these are the options:

If the Responsorial Psalm is spoken:
    • the Lectionary text
    • the Revised Grail Psalter

If the Responsorial Psalm is sung:
    • the Lectionary text
    • the Revised Grail Psalter
    • any approved Catholic Scripture or Psalms translation, even those approved in the past: e.g., the 1963 Grail Psalter (approved for the Liturgy of the Hours) or RSV (formerly an option for the Lectionary)
    • any psalm from a collection approved by the local bishop (even in the past)
    • Exception: not a psalm text that uses the holy name "Yahweh": e.g., not the Jerusalem Bible

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Echoing Adam Wood's question, does this mean that the Anglican Prayer Book/Book of Divine Worship translation is grandfathered in and hence acceptable?
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not confident that its approval for liturgical use in Anglican-use Masses is enough to qualify for use in Ordinary Form Roman-rite Masses. Nor is it taken from a whole Scripture translation approved for reading. But that's just my interpretation.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    That's my fear, too, Richard.
  • But metrical paraphrases are ok!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So sad.
    What about Douay-Rheims as an alternative, for people who, you know, actually like the English language?
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • chonakchonak
    I think that's legit, Adam; I take the GIRM rules to include any Scripture translation that was approved for liturgical use or for reading.
  • Sigh. It was too good to be true. You all didn' go over to the one I recommended, which you will find a fuller discussion. According to those responding there, the Secretariat of the USCCB has said repeatedly that a translation approved by ANY bishop is licit in any other diocese (I am guessing, as with the right of a priest to say Mass, UNTIL the local bishop says "no.") A specific approval in a specific diocese is a PRESUMPTIVE approval in other dioceses. To anyone looking to be free of the Grail Psalter, therefore, wisdom, prayer, and good diplomatic skills would appear to be the order of the day.

My question stemmed from the last clause of the relevant section of the GIRM:

In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

A metrical Psalm is peforce a paraphrase, so that opens the door quite wide. THAT was my question.

• But I knew we couldn't get out of here without a little huffing and a few uncategorical declarations. Just not in the cards.
  • But the options are far wider than the ones summarized above IN THEORY. The question is IN PRACTICE.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm not sure what "peforce" means, I'll assume it's like "a priori." Or "de facto."
    If that's the case, I have to take issue with your logical conclusion.
    Last Friday's psalm antiphon/refrain was -
    "Lord, this is the people that longs to see Your face." That's twelve syllables.
    If you're familiar with the Vermulst People's Mass, it has a sort of melodic and harmonic ostinato that quotes almost verbatim Pachelbel's famous Kanon. The quintessential text for this was when the acclamation "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again," which also has twelve syllables. In F Major, the melody would be A-A-G, F-F-E-E, D-G-F-E-F. This melody conveniently can couch 12 syllables, common time, for this refrain and any number of others, even if fudging the syllable count and/or the meter (3/4) as needed.
    This keeps the licit text valid, which is the principle. I'm not declaring the melody as high art by which to set the text, other than as a convenient mantra for school Masses perhaps. But it does serve to illustrate that meter and exact psalmody rendition versus paraphrase are not mutually exclusive.