Origin of "Jubilate Deo" collection?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the selection of the particular chants for the Ordinary that comprised the "Jubilate Deo" collection (i.e., Kyrie XVI, Gloria VIII, Sanctus XVIII and Agnus Dei XVIII).

I know the basics about this — namely, that "Jubilate Deo" was issued by the Congregation for Divine Worship under Pope Paul VI, in 1974 I think, as a "minimum repertoire." I guess I'm curious, though… why these particular chants? Yes, they're probably the easiest ones in the repertoire, but was there any rationale beyond that? Exactly who chose them… or was this really a committee thing, probably? I know that 1974 wasn't exactly the heyday of chant, but that said, at the time, were these already the most widely-known chants for the Ordinary?

I asked a related question on the forums a couple of years ago. Some wonderful responses there! My question here is a bit different, and is specifically about "Jubilate Deo."

I'm curious, as usual. But I also must admit that while I'm thankful for the collection, I'm also a bit frustrated about how monolithic it has become -- it's now titled "Chant Mass" in my parish's hymnal, as if no other chants even exist (or so it seems to me). The same collection is in the OCP missalettes, and I know the "Missa Primitiva" (ugh… what a name) is nearly the same (just Gloria XV instead of VIII).

Thanks. :)
  • As it was written in the accompanying letter "Voluntatis obsequens", this booklet was meant primarily for the pilgrims who would visit Rome for the Holy Year AD 1975. The only explanation for this somewhat strange choice of repertoire is that it has been planned to use it in some particular Mass within the celebrations of the Holy Year in Rome.
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • I think if you substitute Gloria XV in the JD Mass you get exactly the Mass setting that's printed in the new Missal.

I have seen this Mass most often referred to as "Missa Simplex".
  • ryandryand
    Andrew,

Missa Simplex refers to this:
    http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/12424.htm
  • Jubilate Deo actually has its origins in 1958 with "Missa Primativa" which used Kyrie XVI, Gloria XV, Sanctus XVIII and Agnus Dei XVIII. I think it also used Credo I.

If one reads Musicae Sacrae from the same time, it appears that this mass setting was intended to form the core of plainchant. The idea being that these would be the standard starting points for people to learn chant mass ordinaries and then branch out from there.

Remember that Gregorian Chant had gone out of common use by about 1750 and that the Church had been actively trying to restore its use since the late 19th Century. Every document on Sacred Music since Tra Le Sollectudini in 1903 right up to recent documents have all endorsed that Gregorian Chant has pride of place in Catholic Music.

Missa Jubilate Deo then went to Gloria VIII (Missa de Angelis) and Credo III but then changed nothing else. The second edition of Jubilate Deo has an expanded collection of chants.
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thank you, hartleymartin and everyone! Regarding the "second edition" of JD… am I correct in recalling that it has an expanded collection of chant hymns, but still just the same collection of parts for the Ordinary?