Mutual enrichment
  • ryandryand
    We could learn a lot from the Byzantines.

Everything sung.

Altar separated from the wall does not mean "facing the people" ... Just means more room for incensing and procession of holy books.

I'm still in awe of the last few Byzantine masses I've attended. The Roman Rite should be just as beautiful ... It was designed to be so (both before and after the council).

I can't wait to see it restored to the original intent.
    (And I do not doubt that there is already significant progress toward this goal)
  • G
    Amen.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    So true. I am very jealous of the Byzantines sometimes.
  • I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, but I also expect to die young.
  • This last June, I had the pleasure of assisting at a Pontifical Divine Liturgy of Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, Patriarch of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (Patriarch in function, if not in title). It was the most moving and beautiful liturgy I had ever experienced. Two weeks later, I was in Salt Lake City for my first Sacred Music Colloquium in which I assisted at six Roman Catholic Masses that were as, if not more, moving and beautiful as the Pontifical Divine Liturgy of Major Archbishop Shevchuk.

We do not need to learn from the Byzantines how to make liturgy beautiful, we just need to follow what's actually in our liturgical books.

I once told a Byzantine priest how much I love the Byzantine liturgy and how I wished the Roman liturgy were more like it. He told me that when the Roman liturgy is done correctly, it's even more beautiful than the Byzantine liturgy. After the Colloquium, I see that he was right.