Length of Entrance Procession Music Part II
  • Greetings.

I have been issued a challenge whose response requires assistance. We are still grappling with the issue of the length of the Entrance Processiona Music. For the past two Sundays, the choirs at my parish have gone through two verses (with an excessive instrumental beginning). The celebrant had already reached the chair by the time the first verse was done. The choir still went ahead and sang the second (I might add that the music is of the Spirit and Song variety). The same also holds true for the recessional. The choirs seem to sing both pieces into infinity.

I cited the Motu Proprio of Pope St. Pius X, but, I am told that I need something more concrete. I spoke to our former director of worship for our diocese and he told me that the music should only cover the action. Another priest told me that it was customary for the entrance song to go on for a long time. I need some sort of documentation to stop this whole thing.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

• You'll never find that documentation, sorry.

I think covering the action is appropriate in this case.

My rule is make it last as long as the priest will tolerate it, but at least 2 verses...
  • WiesOrganista:

The problem is that the introduction is long and then by the time he reaches the altar, they've just begun the refrain. When he reaches the chair, they launch into verse 2.
  • Ahh, ok. I guess most of my processional hymns are metrical with no refrains, and fairly short... For instance, 2 verses of "All Creatures of Our God and King" was perfect yesterday. We also have slow, little Altar boys...

Are shorter hymns and/or introductions possible?

(I have also worked for priests who preferred all verses be sung).
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • donr
    If you are singing a hymn there is a story being told and the hymn should be sung to completion. A lot of the time the last verse exclaims the trinity so you do not want to leave that out. However, most "Spirit and Song" songs are of the contemporary type and do not need to played to the end and could be cut off at any time. We will end the song at the end of a verse if the presider is waiting there.

The Roman Missal basically states that the entrance chant is sung during the entrance procession, then goes on to say that when the entrance chant is concluded the opening prayer begins. It does not give a definite stop for the entrance.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jani
  • At my parish, the priest doesn't even start processing until the 2nd verse most of the time. That allows the processional hymn to be well established before we have to cut it off.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr, I agree about the hymn telling a story. There are (few) times when I don't really care if he's getting his cassock in a bunch, if text is especially appropriate.

In this case, I'm the waiter, and I have to bring the customer what he asks for, even if I know I have something better.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • GavinGavin
    The priest needs to walk more slowly.
  • This reminds me of a story about the parish I played at for a short time in south Florida. The priest was infamous for starting 5-10 minutes late for every Mass. And I was expect to keep the people entertained until he came out of the sacristy. Well, one Sunday I had enough and at 11 minutes past 10, I started the entrance hymn without him, the intruduction played on full organ. You never saw altar boys and a very rotund priest move so fast out of the back. And I did it every week after that. Needless to say, I was told my services were no longer needed soon after that. LOL

That was one way to get all the verses in......
    Thanked by 3Gavin SkirpR Spriggo
  • chonakchonak
    If the priest thinks that singing a song is good for the people, he can make the action match the length of the music:
    1. Have the server at the front of the procession walk more slowly
    2. Start the procession at the end of the first verse of the hymn
    3. Start the procession from the sacristy -- down a side aisle and up the center
    4. Incense the altar and the cross.

Any of these can reduce the time he spends standing around -- time which is a missed opportunity to present a more edifying procession!

The closest thing I know to official guidance on this question is in the Ordo Cantus Missae, which directs that the Introit chant should be adjusted in length to correspond to the length of the action: with more or fewer verses -- or even no psalm verses, if the introit antiphon is enough to cover the action.

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • GavinGavin
    Speaking of incense, I've almost never seen a hymn long enough to cover a procession with incense (and why even bother if you aren't using it?)
  • Chonak, the voice of experience! I was in the midst of posting, he did it much better than I could have...thanks, again, Chonak.
  • BenBen
    Use more servers, incense, slow processions, and a deliberate incensation of the altar (not a 20 second quick walk around). That'll allow you to have an introduction, sing 3-4 verses, an interlude, and a final verse. Works wonderfully at one of my parishes.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Something I learned, between a lecture from Dr. Marht and my own experience at an Episcopal parish...

Catholic Mass: The opening "liturgical action" is the procession of the ministers, which is accompanied by the Entrance Chant (or suitable alternative).

Protestant Service: The opening "liturgical action" is the singing of the gathered community, during which the ministers may enter in procession.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Chonak, do you have access to the Ordo Cantus Missae? This would be of great help.

Regarding incense, it is rarely used, unfortunately.
  • BenBen
    What do you need from the OCM, Benedict Gal?
  • I found it, Ben, thanks to a Yahoo search. I need to find some sort of document that gives an idea about how long the song should be. We are also held hostage during the recessional.
  • chonakchonak
    Music after the dismissal is not mentioned in the Roman Missal, so there are no rules about that.

Of course, if the priest doesn't exit, it's not easy for you to go on to the next thing, whether that be leaving your pew or saying your thanksgiving prayers.
  • CharlesW
    Our masses always start on time, by the bells in the tower. Unfortunately, they are controlled by a computer-type clock, so it does get off a few minutes every month and has to be reset. Our priest begins processing on the second verse of the entrance hymn. I do as many more as required to get him to his place up front. At one Sunday mass, incense is used, so I keep the hymn going through at least four verses. If he likes the recessional hymn, he will wait in front of the altar and process out on the last verse. If he is running late, however, he will leave a bit sooner. It is like I was told to do with lessons during my years as a teacher - monitor and adjust.
  • Jani
    When you are in a tiny church, this issue is a real problem (both entrance and recessional)...but I will say that cut-off hymns leave me wanting and feeling short-changed:)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Your former diocesan music director is correct: The Entrance Chant should cover the action. But the action is four-fold: "The purpose of this chant is to [1] open the celebration, [2] foster the unity of those who have been gathered, [3] introduce their thoughts to the mystery of the liturgical season or festivity, and [4] accompany the procession of the priest and ministers."

50. When the Entrance Chant is concluded, the Priest stands at the chair and, together with the whole gathering, signs himself with the Sign of the Cross. Then by means of the Greeting he signifies the presence of the Lord to the assembled community. By this greeting and the people’s response, the mystery of the Church gathered together is made manifest. . . .
    Thanked by 2Robert E_A_Fulhorst
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Sing to the Lord makes reference to respecting the integrity of the text of strophic hymnody. Still, a refrain or antiphon need not be extended beyond the action. In practice, I do often use strophic hymnody and, as a rule, sing all the verses, but in theory, I like the idea of an entrance antiphon that can be tailored more to the action, especially if a longer setting of the gloria is sung. Still, as Paul Ford pointed out, there is more to the action than just the procession of ministers. It's kind-a like the whole interior vs exterior active participation debate. :)
  • While I can see the point that both you and Mr. Ford are making, Earl_Grey, I am still concerned when the entrance song (song being the operative word, at least for what is used in my parish), goes on excessively (once, the choir went through eight verses of Alleluia from the Spirit and Song book), there has to be a huge problem, especially when the celebrant has been waiting there a good while.

If we look at the Papal Masses, the chant comes to an end when the Holy Father has reached the chair. If I recall, Pope St. Pius X wrote this in his Motu Proprio:

VII. The length of the liturgical chant
    22. It is not lawful to keep the priest at the altar waiting on account of the chant or the music for a length of time not allowed by the liturgy. According to the ecclesiastical prescriptions the Sanctus of the Mass should be over before the elevation, and therefore the priest must here have regard for the singers. The Gloria and the Credo ought, according to the Gregorian tradition, to be relatively short.

23. In general it must be considered a very grave abuse when the liturgy in ecclesiastical functions is made to appear secondary to and in a manner at the service of the music, for the music is merely a part of the liturgy and its humble handmaid.

My question revolves around this: There were some aspects of the MP that were abrogated (prohibition on use of the piano and female singers), but, does this one still stand?

Sing to the Lord is not necessarily the best reference here, because of the problems it has already raised with the issue of the Agnus Dei.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If your parish using songs from Spirit and Song, you have (as you well know) larger problems than the amount of time the Gathering Song goes on. If the leadership at your parish doesn't heed the Church's mind in regards to the much more important issue of text and style, what makes you think you can convince them to follow it on length?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Believe me, not a few of us have been enduring the drek from Spirit and Song. There is a huge disconnect between chanting the ICEL setting and using the stuff from that book.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    BG, you've shared many a tale detailing various issues confounding you and others in Laredo. I, for one, believe you.
    That said, when you are incessant both in your dad's and your parish with confrontation backed up by a document, albeit in force, released in 1903, and characterize the situational circumstances as "excessive" and in effect the feeling of being held "hostage" while "drek" is inflicted upon you and (presumably) all, I think you may be undermining your own cause. As I would imagine might be said in TX, "Them's fightin' words!" Hence, you become an opponent in confrontation against a phantom enemy: they, them, those guys, etc.
    You are a cantor. Work within what opportunities you have on the "inside" to exemplify all of the principles here we all treasure, and let your love of the Lord be the most obvious effect of your gifts to the Church. The rest, that which bothers you, offer it up or do what you must. Remember, and Dr. Ford will attest to this, as soon as your dad or the celebrant declares "Go, the Mass is ended/THANKS BE TO GOD" - leave, right then and there. Don't wait for the celebrant to process passed you. It may seem disrespectful, but it's also licit. But rather than leaving in a huff, take your missio immediately to the front of the church and start singing the propers of the day quietly as the people exit. Stay positive. Avoid enmity. Resolve to show the face of Christ as you work to change the culture. Blessings, CCCA
  • The problem is not in my dad's parish; it's in mine. The choir in question is quite talented (middle aged), as most of them sing in the local philharmonic chorale. The problem centers around the usage of Spirit and Song. The only liturgical formation any of them have comes from what they read in Today's Liturgy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    (sigh....bubble thought: there's something amiss and smelly in Denmark...)

The choir in question is quite talented (middle aged), as most of them sing in the local philharmonic chorale.
    This is a puzzlement; if this choir is composed of talented (of any age) singers who also sing in a civic chorale doing classical literature, presumably, I'm hard pressed to believe they'd be content to sing "Your grace is enough" every Sunday. I have a schola of such individuals. We sing SEP, Richard Rice's new choral communio's and choral motets weekly. They'd string me up (requiring a crane) if I fed them a diet of P&W music!
    Something's just not adding up here, BG. A choir wants to be a choir, not a Praise Team. We started JMO's Sherwin Gloria last Sunday, melody only. They already can render the SATB efficiently, but we will continue unison until there's an obviously "heard" consensus that the melody is being taken up congregationally. Then, the choir will go "yay" and begin to sing the SATB.
    If this "choir" is capable of singing in a "philharmonic chorale" and not bringing that capability to Sundays, well....I'm stymied. It doesn't add up. And Today's Liturgy ain't the problem.
  • From my Air Force days, I still believe in the efficacy of "the chain of command."
    Holy Father-Bishop-Pastor-Director of Music, in that order. Corporals don't give the orders unless everyone above in the chain of command has been killed or put "out of
    commission."
  • Melofluent, there is a huge disconnect from what is sung at the level of the philharmonic and at the parish. The whole program is OCP, plain and simple. This particular choir and the youth choir at the other Mass sing music from Spirit and Song. No effort is made at actually trying sacred music. Couple that with blowing both the entrance (gathering, as they call it) and the recessional (sending forth, again, as they call it) out of proportion to the point that they tend to be longer than the introductory and concluding rites and that is a bad storm. It's a liturgical Sandy.
  • GavinGavin
    I agree whole-heartedly with Adam in that the length of the music isn't the problem. I don't know what the "appropriate" length of the musical messes in Spirit and Song is, but I think it's less than one verse.

I think this whole idea of music "delaying" the Mass is just silly, too. A chant introit antiphon alone, at a comfortable tempo, would delay most of the lame, uninspired processions done at Novus Ordo churches. Should we cut those off too when the pastor gets to the chair? "Puer natus est nob-."

The music at liturgy doesn't stand on its own. But I say, if it isn't good enough to stand on its own, don't do it!!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen donr Adam Wood
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Ultimately it comes down to what the pastor or presider wants as he is the chief liturgist in any parish. I personally don't feel that 4 verses of a good hymn is too many, (really God do I have sing another verse and praise and thank you again?) but others may disagree. Everyone has their own idea of what is excessive and what is just right. What may work in one situation doesn't work in another. I don't always sing every verse. And there are some who think one verse is too many! Interestingly enough at our LT Mass (which I'm generally not involved in) the music would often be extended to what I would consider an excessive length; and while the Mass would run about 90 minutes no one ever complained. Apparently the 55 minute rule only applies to organ Masses.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JSC
    I have never understood the instruction concerning the processional hymn:
    are the faithful only to sing when they are feeling fraternal and ready to receive Christ in their midst, or should they sing until they so feel?

;)
  • I like the idea of the celebrant delaying his entrance when a hymn is used in place of the entrance chant: that could actually draw more attention to the procession. But the strong rhythm and narrative texts that demand the final verse convinced me to stay with the propers in English.
    With the propers we only sing a verse or two for the entrance antiphon. Just as with singing a hymn we are leaving the psalm text incomplete. But psalms are different than hymns. They toss around ideas, and often leaving no choice but tossing the ball into God's court. I like that.
    - Psalms are more of a series of emotionally active prayers, and sometimes a "series of unfortunate events." When we end an incomplete psalm, where the text leaves us unsettled, in misery, guilt and fear: then the Collect functions a more wonderful conclusion to the entrance music! Eager to have those unsettled feelings assuaged we are aware of our need for the penetial act, eager for comfort and hope in the Collect, and focused on the Word. We then participate more actively when we listen.
    Amazing how the introit and the introductory rites interpenetrate and rise far above the level of "Welcome to today's show, and a shout-out to the Holy Name Society who will be serving breakfast aster Mass in the basement, tickets are $6, .... and to the ladies who cleaned the church... how 'bout tall that rain..." when we do what is prescribed.