need advice re Communion antiphon
  • Late last summer, I introduced the Communion Antiphon (SCG) to our Mass where my son is organist. At first I sang it alone, then, since the choir season began in September, the choir sings the refrain and my daughter and I alternate singing the psalm verses. One choir member (we only have four and two are my children) is rebelling against the CA. She's made noises from the beginning about disliking it (not sure the reason but it's not the music itself, more that it seems to have upset her way of doing things--she's just not used to it) and yesterday said outright, "I hate this!"

I'm wondering what to do. My daughter and I could do it alone, if need be. Another thought I had would be to just sing the antiphon without the psalm verses and then have my son play something on the organ through the rest of Communion. Or do I tell Miss J, this is way we're doing things now, so live with it (not what I'm inclined to do).

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • May we ask, what were you doing before? How different, difficult, and sweetly-sounding for all concerned, is your new choral antiphony? Is Miss J receptive to the reasons for the change (even while disliking the practice)?
  • Before this, there was silence until the organist had received Communion, then he played a mediation piece for the duration of the distribution of Communion. Once the priest returned to his chair, the congregation sang a hymn (which is what we do now).

We are using Richard Rice's music (Simple Choral Gradual). It is not difficult but not familiar. We need to learn a new piece each week, which may be part of the cause for resistance. The choir has been used to just singing hymns they know, for years and years. This is a brand new thing, "not what we're used to."
  • So singing just the Communion antiphon, at the right moment (viz. just when the Celebrant receives) and then continuing with your old practice (organ only during the Communion procession, then a hymn) would be a good alternative. As you suggest.

This would effectively add one missing "proper", follow the rubric more closely, and be more familiar to the congregation (and Miss J!).

Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Why not sing the Antiphon with 2 verses of the psalm and then have organ followed by a hymn as Andrew has put it so well? Then they get the ant reinforced 3x, you've established the liturgical text which tells everyone what communion and the mass that day is all about....if they fight it, rehearse it at the end of rehearsal, inviting those who want to stay and sing it to do so. Let them make the choice.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Having sung RR's Simple CG since day one it came out*, TM, I really do NOT suggest singing them with only 2 voices, much less four or five if they're not full on and strong SATB. The whole point, IMO, is the effect of an "Orthodox/Byzantine" homophonic chant style, which when done strongly edifies every good aspect of being a quire. And when you've sung through the cycle a couple of times with confidence, the quire members become much better readers, know how to chant the verses in sync, etc.
    In your situation, what with the disgruntled soprano, it would be better to appropriate the SEP with your daughter and any other women willing to join. At our ensemble Mass (where mostly contemporary OCP is sung) our gals still sing the SEP Introit and Communio (I keep my guys out of the equation, they're a bit Sistine Capella) and they sound lovely unaccompanied. And like Noel says once the priest/deacons/EMHC's come to the rail/nave, you can transition smoothly to the congregational hymn/song.

*I want to, again, give a shout out to Richard's new Choral Communio's, they are, in my estimation, a whole new "take" in the proper's scene. You have to really rehearse them because his approach to declamation and phrasing is unlike anything I've encountered, and I mean that positively. At first blush you kinda scratch your head about word accentuation via weak/strong beat placement, but you get over the notion of weak/strong beat emPHAsis real fast to get to the beauty of the phrasing. And the harmonies take some wonderfully subtle turns. And best of all, Richard Rice LOVES ALTOS as do I. He blesses them with perfectly prepared suspensions, suh-weet. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • his approach to declamation and phrasing is unlike anything I've encountered, and I mean that positively.

Agreed! Richard's choice of rhythm positively intensifies the text. I love it.

Teachermom, if you're looking for accompanied antiphons, you could check out communionantiphons.org, too.
  • Thank you so much! I'm going to try something for All Saints Day and see if this might be the best way to change to in the end. That is for my daughter and I to sing the Communion antiphon (SEP) at the priest's communion. Then the choir and organist can go down to receive Communion, the organist returns to play a meditation piece during distribution, then the congregational hymn after the priest returns to his seat. This is most similar to what we have done before I introduced the Communion antiphon. In fact, the only difference will be the antiphon in place of silence at the priest's communion.
  • CharlesW
    Maybe it is not a case of either/or. My choir sings the Simple Choral Gradual antiphon while the priest drinks from the chalice. Then I play until the choir receives. Lastly, we sing a communion hymn. Why not do all three?
  • CharlesW, Do you just sing the antiphon without Psalm verses? This is what I was thinking to do. Up until now we've been doing the Psalm verses with the antiphon until the end of distribution, then choir receives, then Communion hymn.
  • CharlesW
    Depending on the amount of time we have, and that is determined by crowd size, we adjust. Sometimes we only do the antiphon, other times we add verses.
  • JennyJenny
    All of these suggestions are good. But I am left wondering what this lady's issue is. Wouldn't it be better to sit down with her and talk this out rather that try to orchestrate your program around one nay-sayer? I don't mean throwing down the gauntlet but just speaking with her privately. I'm afraid she might come to expect you to change your mind whenever she doesn't like something.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jenny, I don't think that it's always appropriate to discuss local relationships and dynamics in a very public forum, which this certainly is. And I'm not suggesting you wanted her to do that.
    I'm positive, have evidence, that my involvement here has been monitored likely daily by some folks who have agendae and will compile and twist anything perversely to sharpen their sheep's teeth. And these sorts of things can go on for decades. Your advice is great. Airing out the issues here, not so much.
  • donr
    I do the communion antiphon by myself while the priest receives the communion as pointed out in the Roman Missal 3rd Edition.
    86. While the Priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion Chant is begun, its purpose being
    to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, to show gladness of heart, and to bring out more clearly the “communitarian” character of the procession to receive the Eucharist. The singing is prolonged for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful.73 However, if there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion Chant should be ended in a timely manner.
    Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.
    Whilst I'm singing the antiphon the choir receives, when they come back they join me until all the verses are complete. If PIPs are still processing we will sing hymn. When all are finished processing we change to a mediation hymn such as "Anima Cristi" or "Panis Angelicus" that all can join in on quitely.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Thank you all. This has been so helpful. I think the problem lay in too much change too fast for our older choir members. I thought learning the Communion antiphon each week would add interest and a little challenge to what is otherwise just a weekly drill of hymns we already know, which it did for the younger members (including my son, the organist, who said he's getting a bit bored with his job). But the older members, and the one lady in particular, do not like change--"same old, same old" is just fine with them. So I will divide the choir (which is easy to do since the younger half consists of my children) and have the younger ones work on the propers.

We added a flautist yesterday which breathed wonderful energy into our choir. And I had announced that just my daughter and I would be singing the Communion antiphon henceforth beginning with All Saints Day so all were happy, happy, happy! Next project is to introduce the Offertory antiphon.

donr--which setting do you use for the Communion antiphon?

Kathy
  • CharlesW
    You know, some sacred silence is not a bad thing to have, either. Too many musicians believe they have to fill every moment with sound. As I once told another organist, "You are not accompanying a silent movie here."
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • donr
    Kathy,
    I started singing the Communions from "A Simple Coral Gradual" by Richard Rice. Even though they are quite easy, I had a hard time with the choir and the mix of time signatures. So I switched to the Communion Antiphons by Fr. Weber found here.
    Then I started to sing the communions from the SEP by Adam Bartlett

I really want the PIPs to sing with me so lately I have been doing "Taste and See" Mode V from the "Lumen Christi Missal" by Adam Bartlett every week so they feel like they can join in. Slowly they are starting to sing with me, it is a very simple melody.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • I use the SEP Communion Chant and then typically go into a Communion Hymn. It is the best solution since it covers both the requirements of the propers and allows for some congregational singing.

You can also start using one of the 7 Ad Libitum Communion Chants from the SEP. That way they become familiar. "O Taste and See" is the easiest one.