PBEH has a hymn with new music! - Make that TWO.
  • From The Rev. Fr. Thomas Buffer, Columbus, Ohio!

I will wrangle with Wordpress to get it posted, but I am attaching this wonderful hymn right here for all to see.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I cannot see nuffink! Help!
  • Deacon Peter Mottola has written a fine hymn himself...

I have to apologize to Peter for my delay in getting this file finished and posted. I had a Finale problem that resolved itself but had held up the work.

Oooops...problem's back....got it....fixed.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • KINGSFOLD! What a wonderful tune.
  • "O God, who knows"??? A second-person from is required here. Compare "O God ... who knowest our necessities before we ask and our ignorance in asking..."

The problem is that in contemporary English we use the second person in adjectival clauses only when the verb is in the simple past tense. Saying, "O God, who gave..." is idiomatic, but saying "O God, who give" or "O God, who have given" is not.

Saying "Almighty God, you see that we have no power of ourselves to help ourselves" is not quite the same as saying "Almighty God, who seest that we have no power of ourselves..." But saying "Almighty God, who see that we have no power..." is not idiomatic.

In this hymn I would prefer "O God, you know..." to "O God, who know..." The choice of either can be justified. But "O God, who knows..." is incorrect, because the clause is unmistakably vocative. We don't say, "O Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world."
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • very beautiful, frogman
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I hestitatingly bring into question, from verse 1, in all curiosity and no agenda:

"Humbly we adore Thee, God of endless might
    In the mystic symbols
    Veiled from earthly sight."

No opinion here. Kathy?
  • BachLover2, while I am merely conveying the work of two very talented people in this case, I accept the kind words for them!

I doubt that many know how welcome it is to receive kind words of thanks on this forum, where many toil and do so much for so little in material return. So your thanks are a symbol that we can enjoy. (slight humorous dig, melofluent....which is a bit confusing, is it pronounced as 4 or 3 syllables?)
  • Kathy
    I haven't looked carefully, Charles. Yes, that's a bad moment for sure.

Texts ain't easy, and it's great of people to contribute--but that's a bad moment i.e. a rather enormous heresy issue.
  • Heresy? A bad moment?

You are suggesting that Theodoret spread heresy when he wrote, "the mystic symbols are adored."?

It's "Texts aren't easy," stated in curiosity and with no agenda. There are some marvelously talented Catholics on this list and I welcome the efforts of this priest and deacon.
  • Friends, is there nothing, nothing at all - no phrase, no sentence in these hymns that moves you? Are we to be branded as a place that only criticizes but does not feed those that come here with their offerings?

I like both these hymns, I find that Peter's hymn brings Lent into focus more than FORTY DAYS AND FORTY NIGHTS. And Father really surprised me, I expected a text, but instead got music, a very Gregorian style hymn, very reminiscent of the Early Church hymns that evolved from Chant melodies.
  • GavinGavin
    If a hymn published by OCP had the word "symbol" in it, everyone would be all over it, crying heresy and perfidy.

Just saying.
  • Kathy
    My texts roll off my pen with "bad moments" in them all the time. Then I take my pen and revise, revise, revise. It's normal.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • Gavin, coming from most publishers it would be,
    "The wine is like the Shell sign,
    a symbol that we can be filled,
    when ya' think you're on your last drop,
    just get your credit card out."

STRUM, STRUM.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Noel, no ill will was intended in pondering that moment. Period. Okay now?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    fnj- To your earlier question:

is there nothing, nothing at all - no phrase, no sentence in these hymns that moves you?

I liked "Jesus Son of Mary." I don't know if the reference to "symbol" is technically heretical or not. I understand the theological issue at stake very well, I just am not sure about the best linguistic interpretation of the author's intent.

I'm seriously thinking about using it for All Saints at my Episcopal Church (where the "symbol" reference is just fine). If I was editing a Catholic Hymnal, or programming the hymn for a Catholic liturgy, I would probably edit the line to be more clear.

In a time and place where orthodoxy is strongly established, texts/hymns that might be at issue are probably ok, because people know how to interpret in a way that leans orthodox. In today's Church, I'm not sure I would risk it.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • melofluent...

We need to implement a text color that we could use to indicate humor...my comments are rarely serious! WOW, look, we CAN!

You carefully couched your question in words that were non-threatening and very sensitive, which I appreciated then and now...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Great idea, FNJ, especially love the Barney purple!
  • I love you, you love me - now Barney's people know how to write lyrics that reach the below-average church person.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Father Buffer is also a very fine organist.