Augustus Pugin's "Earnest Appeal for the Revival of Plain Song"
  • Greetings, all. I just created an account on the forum, although I've been a lurker and user of CMAA resources for a long time. I wanted to share with you all a fascinating resource which I believe is more than just a historical curiosity. I went to the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary's music library in Fort Worth, obtained permission to photograph and transcribe one of the few surviving copies of Augustus Welby Pugin's "Earnest Appeal for the Revival of the Ancient Plain Song", first published in 1850. Augustus Pugin, whose bicentenary we celebrate this year, was the most influential Catholic architect of Victorian Britain. He designed the interior of the Houses of Parliament and the Clock Tower of Big Ben; but he spent the greater part of his career building Catholic churches across England, including the first Catholic cathedral in England since the Reformation, and spearheading the Gothic revival. He was involved in every level of the liturgical arts, including the design of vestments, chalices, altars, episcopal rings, and even book covers. He was also a chanter, known to attend the Divine Office daily in cassock and surplice.

The year before he died, he published this tract in defense of Gregorian chant, congregational singing, and the placement of the choir in the chancel (within the sanctuary, vested in cassock and surplice). This pamphlet has never before appeared on the Internet until I posted it on my blog this week. Here's a link with a brief introduction: An Earnest Appeal for the Revival of the Ancient Plain Song.

I've also attached here an easy-to-read copy in .pdf, if you might prefer that.

Finally, here's a link to my own commentary on the Earnest Appeal, but they're only my own opinions, which I hope can be evaluated separately from the tract itself.
  • Thank you for this! I was always a fan of Pugin and now I am even more of one.....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Wonderful material.
    Also- beautiful typesetting.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Remembered that This was here, and thought others might like reading this, so I'm giving it a wee bump.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Would that we had a Pugin today!
    Would that the climate were right to receive him!

(I usually find these 'bumps' irritating, but of this one I am glad - I had somehow missed it when it was fresh.)
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    So, this essay got me thinking - how hard could it be to implement the concepts Pugin outlines in his essay?

For example: our parish community is small, so much so that the space we worship in doesn't contain a loft. The organ itself is placed within the sanctuary. With a little training (and some extra moolah for cassock and surplices) the male schola would sit inside the sanctuary, chant the propers there, and then chant antiphonally with strategically placed (heh) female members of the choir in the congregation. Motets would either be saved for special occasions, or else the men would slip out and join the females after receiving Communion.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Singing galleries are modern abominations, and no good will ever be effected in Church music, until they are utterly destroyed...
    Would he feel vindicated now? Some things never change, blaming the musicians being a constant.