Best Hymnal for Specific Purpose
  • For personal use and study, I have the 1940 Hymnal. I will be getting the Oxford Book of Carols. However, there are some holes I worry about: Specifically Catholic hymns, such as the Marian tunes, certain other potboiler standards, and simple tone chants are, surprises of surprises, not included in either Anglican book.

Which is the best Catholic hymnal on the market with these characteristics:
    1. Fill in the holes I have.
    2. Has a choral edition with 4-part harmony for the unique songs.
    3. Includes, if possible, chant notation when appropriate. (i.e., Salve Regina, Tantum Ergo.)

This last point is more nice than necessary. Thoughts?
  • chonakchonak
    Consider these:
    Summit Choirbook (good for saints' hymns)
    The Catholic Choirbook Anthology I (and related books from Frog Music Press)

• Thanks, Chonak! I suggest The Catholic Choirbooks Anthology 1 and The Catholic Choirbook 1 - General for this specific purpose.

The Anthology contains fine choral works that have the widest appeal from all five Choirbooks; Choirbook 1 - General contains the most potboilers, while the remaining 4 contain some choral works that did not make it into the Anthology 1 due to voicing (more than 4 parts) or difficulty.

All the books may be downloaded for free.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • canadashcanadash
    I must say that I loved the CC1! I wish I would have known about this 10 years ago. I've let others know. I hope they spread the word!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Free download how?
  • chonakchonak
    At the Frog Music Press website, you have to go through some steps to "purchase" the PDF for $0, and then you get access to download them.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • We've streamlined the process with but one step now, it's taken awhile to figure this out.

I've improved the location of the download link, too. www.thecatholicchoirbook.com

We welcome spreading the word about downloads around!
    Thanked by 1chonak