On Islamic Chant
  • This column has already been called brilliant and evil. My own view is a bit more plain: I just wrote up what i thought. Can you weigh in? http://www.chantcafe.com/2012/10/why-we-must-chant.html
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • DougS
    It is my understanding that the call to prayer, or adhān, is distinct from Qur'anic recitation, which is done inside the mosque. The leader of the adhān is called the muezzin.

One other important distinction is that music per se is not a standard component of Islamic worship. Considering Qur'anic recitation "music" (or "song") imputes a Western definition or understanding on the practice. From the perspective of a Muslim, it is simply expressing the word as it should be done, not singing, which is something else.

And more to the point, yes, I think we can learn things from other cultures.
  • Why do we call G chant "singing" instead of cantillation?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This will be my only response to Jeffrey's plea, and Doug's response, then (and there was great rejoicing) I'm done with it.
    I haven't looked at the combox at CC since I responded to Jeffrey's thoughts. If someone called his article "evil," it wasn't me. My expressions there were exact. However, I am curious as to how Jeffrey Tucker can seek rhetorical refuge in the disclaimer "I just wrote up what I thought" as a pre-eminent representative of an organization that articulates very clearly how worship and conduct within the cosmological context of our God, Who became a slave in order that He (Creator) would not only become a creature, but the Alpha who would show us how to properly serve and worship. A muezzin does issue the "call to worship," certainly a noble office and calling. But to worship under the theological umbrella that proudly calls Emmanuel, King of Kings, Prince of Peace, Savior of the world, Lord of Lords, and Who sits at the right hand of the Father, a "muslim." Sorry, Doug, sorry Jeffrey, we don't worship a lifestyle that embraces a discipline of song that defines our day, or authentically is aligned with precepts consonant with traditions of the past. The Savior, the Song and the Discipline are One. Appropriating what at the blush of morning's first glance is an elegant expression of faith practice, but which represents a theology, like no other, that is not only wholly intolerant of the existence of others (and mind you, I'm not talking politics or theocracy here) but is avowed to eradicate all "deviant" expressions of faith from the the face of the earth remains quite a weighty equation for me. If it's just about the coolness of "chanting," then why do we argue among ourselves? Just chant away. But the chant, like the Suffering Servant, is the handmaid of the given Liturgy. There is an endgame beyond the chant. It is called at once the Mandatum and the Great Commission.
    I have been many times called on my lazy thnking, less times missed in the thousands unnoticed. Perhaps I will be adjudged guilty of that here by many. So be it. But I am more assured in these expressed thoughts than those of Jeffrey awakening to the siren call of a muezzin in secular Turkey. The blessings and peace of Christ to all who faithfully serve Him and all believers struggling to make their way to God's Kingdom.
    Charles in CenCA
  • Dear Charles - can you sum that up in a sentence or two? I got a bit lost as to why you are objecting. I'm not sure I read that deep into what Jeffrey was saying and I think it would be helpful if you could pare that down a little for everyone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Things to Learn From JT's Article:
    1. Chant is universal.
    2. The roots of our own Chant go deep, back into our Semitic heritage, and maybe even further.
    3. Cultures that hang on to their own traditions thrive.
    4. The human voice in song is incredibly powerful, and understanding of the words is not needed in order to experience that power.
    5. Jeffrey Tucker's life is, on the whole, more exciting than mine.

Things not to learn, or to be inferred from, JT's article:
    1. Islam is a good or true religion.
    2. We should sing Gregorian Chant as if it is Middle Eastern
    3. The Catholic Liturgy would be greatly enhanced if we brought in cool "world music" styles such as Islamic Chant.
    4. Muslims are better/stronger/wiser/faster/more-in-tune-with-cosmic-forces than we are.
    5. There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet.
  • I have long thought, though, and would make an educated suggestion that the delivery of sacred text, 'expressing the text as it should be done', as described above in Muslim worship, is not far (if any) removed from what our chant resembled in those distant days of oral transmission. Since early mediaeval times we have had an increasing fascination not only with metre, but with exactness of pitch and 'musical line' that may well have been as strange to our own forebears as it remains to modern Muslims; not to mention a musical aesthetic which most likely was non existent in the ancient and early mediaeval eras. Chant scholars are wont to refer to chant as 'sung speech', and they are correct in doing so. But further, it is likely that in it's very early days it was more a stylised, cantillated, speech than it was what we would call music, chant or otherwise. Many are the historic authors who tell us such as that 'from the beginning nothing was said in the spoken voice but everything was sung'. This is music to our ears on this forum, but I suspect that were we to hear such authors 'sing' we wouldn't call it 'music' or 'singing' even though it was definitely not mere 'speech'.

And, thanks, Jeffrey, for writing your (cogent) thoughts.
    Too, there was a time when the Church's cantors were as rigourously trained, respected, and culturally essential as the Muslim cantors who greeted your day. That was long ago, and, in comparison, what we call 'cantors' nowadays rarely are deserving of the name. Having such in our worship today would be considered decidedly undemocratic; plus, the way we educate people now, most would not consider themselves edified by hearing one, and would resent someone singing an old chant that they couldn't whistle and sing along with. Then, there is your observation about the language: is it fair, really, that Muslims cherish and can understand an heiratic Arabic that is roughly 1500 years old while Catholics would revolt at a liturgical English that was even 500 years old?
  • DougS
    Yes, that's a great point. Why is Gregorian chant not simply "the way the word is proclaimed" instead of "word embellished by song"?

After the advent of polyphony, the soundprint of chant was still embedded in the metrical framework of polyphony, at least in those works that were based on chants. And even when Gregorian chant was not physically present in the Mass in earlier ages (as Peter Jeffery has argued, I believe), it was still such an integral part of the experience that worshipers likely imagined its presence anyway--why else call it "Laetare Sunday"?

It seems clear to me, though, that the Church has been much more permissive of non-chant sounds in the Mass than Muslims have been of worship music of any kind. Although they give it pride of place, official documents don't treat it with the same reverence that Muslims treat the Qur'an--that without it, the Mass wouldn't exist, or that anything else would be an abomination. It's a provocative comparison nonetheless.

I don't know what Charles's beef with the piece was, but the comparison to Islam didn't bother me. People of any faith can learn from the faith of others.

The more challenging bit for me was the idea that we should create a more public culture of Catholic faith in the U.S. Aside from any apathy among the faithful that has affected Christians of all denominations, there are other barriers that are extremely high--namely the fact that Catholicism has never been very welcome here. For me, taking care of our own house would be a good enough start, and maybe that's all you're saying.
  • DougS
    Many posts came up before I sent mine. Charles, I think you and Jeffrey agree more than you disagree on this, but I could be wrong.
  • As noted on CC, oriental chant or chants from Syriac Christianity were the roots for Muslim chant.
    I once had a Greek Melkite correct me in a similar way when I made a comment about Muslim chant. It greatly angered him that the style of chant used in Muslim prayer would ever be called unique to Isalm. He was vehement in his assertion of the older Syriac roots that Isalm "borrowed". If you look at Isalm as a heresy that sprung out of North Africa and spread by the sword you could easily see their need to adopt the traditions of some of the people they just "converted" to Allah.

It is a touchy subject. I respect the article by Jeffery but I can see where Charles could get miffed.
    I suppose Charles, it is like the practice of a JW or a Mormon that is prepared to go door to door to preach their "faith". They are zealous and honest. And quite likely their religion forms their culture. Of course culture is what we worship. I too, find it hard to admire a culture that is so contrary and truly against our own. Our cult is the Triune God. Jesus Christ sacrificed. Mary the Mother of God. The Communion of Saints...

Unless in not knowing the man: Jeffery Tucker, I cannot see how his article praises Isalm, but merely points out a practice that is married to "chant". A practice that Isalm can surely not call it's own? As the originator of such practices as ritual prayer with song?
    That the ritual practices of Isalm permeate the life of the secular Muslim is sobering for us who cannot practice our own faith and True Religion as openly and widely as a State religion. Even the ringing of church bells is a civic problem in the "Christian" West.

DougS: it is hard to learn from Isalm, when that religion is so opposed to our own. The practice of the people who devote themselves to Isalm should be noted and learned from positively and negatively... without a doubt.
    I'm tired.
  • nicolem
    Having come to know much more about Islam over the past few years, I found Jeffrey's article intriguing and refreshing. Do I agree with Islam across the board? Certainly not. However, given that the traditions of Islam evolved from a similar place (while meandering off on a very strange branch), I don't think it's so reprehensible to consider that we as Catholics might be able to learn from non-Catholics...even Muslims.

In my opinion, Islam is a very black and white religion with little tolerance for gray. This rigidity has allowed them to maintain some beautiful traditions (chant/sung prayer), but has also rendered them incapable to really evolve and adapt. Meanwhile, the Church has allowed herself the ability to change and adapt with the times as needed while still staying true to her cause. In the area of music, this ability to evolve has allowed music to grow beyond simple chant into the beauty of polyphony, counterpoint and all of the soul-altering beauty of more modern forms of sacred music. As someone who trained extensively on an orchestral instrument, you can tear my Messiaen and Part out of my cold dead hands :)

(However, my "approval umbrella" of new music does NOT extend to contemporary christian wannabe pop music.... That music may have a place, but in my opinion, it does not have enough integrity to be worthy of the Mass.)

However, I do think that we can learn a bit from Islam in that even as the Church encourages and fosters these newer ideas about worship and sacred music, it doesn't have to be at the cost of throwing out the old. Seemingly Islam will be slow to figure out how to adapt to the "new"--if it ever does, but I look forward to the Church, in her wisdom, being able to find a balance that respects both our beautiful heritage while still nurturing and supporting new ways to praise and worship our Creator.
  • Thank you all for these comments. I was a bit rattled by Charles's comments and I'm sorry that he publicly demanded that I pull his name from the ChantCafe masthead (I'm complying), and even more sorry that I still don't understand why he objected so much to the piece. By temperament, I loathe fighting and factions and rebukes and shunnings. I've never understood why people can't just talk in peace and mutual respect. We have our opinions and that is as it should be but the purpose of the ChantCafe, this forum, and the Internet is to foster personal and intellectual growth. That requires some give and take and exchange of ideas. It saddens me when things devolve into fights and repudiations and things.
  • Reading Charles's comment above, I now see that he has strong and passionate views about Islam in general and seems to object to anything kind being said about the Islamic tradition of worship, under the conviction that doing so amounts to an intolerable compromise. I don't happen to agree but at least I'm clearer on what set him off.
  • I hope that you gentlemen are able to patch things up. I'm not interested in taking sides, so I'll keep my comments to myself. All I WILL say is that, in this time of incredible progress for the cause that so many of us dedicated our life to, now is not the time for a rift between two very respected names in the field.

I know you both have my respect...and I hope this is settled soon.
  • CharlesW
    It must have been interesting to hear the calls to prayer. I have often heard others say that the origins of Christian chant are Semitic, so perhaps that is also true for Islamic chant. However, I would agree with the Byzantine emperor who declared that there is little that is good about Islam.

"Melofluent?" What's with the nom de plume? Seems to be a lot of that going on at the forum lately. Is this like a witness protection program? I had just gotten used to infamous Charles in cenCA.
  • Here is my tribute to Charles on the occasion of his protest departure from the Cafe. http://www.chantcafe.com/2012/10/tribute-to-charles-culbreth-on-his.html
  • Charles, I totally get the "breathe easier" point. I've had that happen to me in the past, not in music but in my other life. Institutions and "in groups" can be restrictive and constraining. It can be entirely subjective but entirely real. I know exactly what you mean. This is why I always hoped that the CMAA would always remain decentralized and open source, not hierarchical and imposing. No one speaks for it; we all speak for it. Otherwise, the CMAA becomes a barrier to intellectual and musical creativity. We can't allow that to happen. Nonetheless, all institutions created by people can tend to be imposing on natural freedom. So I do respect your decision, very much so. I'm also glad to know the context for your reaction to my comments on Islam. Those are also very personal experiences on your part that have nothing to do with the context of my article, as you know. Regardless, I do appreciate your generous post.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What I pray that everyone can take away from this minor blip on the cosmic radar screen is that "this" was never about our personal relationship, Jeffrey, for my part. For the record, my friend had many times made known to me his disinclination to publicly aerate disagreements of various natures. So, despite the projection that there was personal animosity over "the subject" by colleagues personally known and unknown to us, that was never the case for me. There is no love that was lost for CMAA and JT. And I will continue to learn and listen as best I can from my friends, colleagues and peers here and elsewhere about our mutual vocations. But I really need to retire from displaying my impetuosity (is that a word, Liam?) here and elsewhere to a much greater extent than ever before. And when I feel a need to "open it up" I will do that under my own aegis. "At the Name of Jesus, every knee should bow...'
    SDG
  • "Even most Catholics are oblivious to the fact that Christianity and Islam share this idea of prayer throughout the day -- sung prayer. But apparently the new version of such prayer that was cobbled together in a reformed way after the Second Vatican Council still doesn’t have music. The reformers forgot or delay that point. And we are still without, 50 years later. Fortunately we do have all the chants for Mass."

If you are referring to the Divine Office, I would have to say you are overstating the situation. The Antiphonale Monasticum has received its full revision in recent years (under Dom Saulnier, I think). Solesmes was quick to revise the Psalterium and Hymnarius for the modern liturgy, and provided a clear guide for using the old books to cover the proper and seasonal chants. One might very well call this "cobbled together", but considering there have always been multiple traditions of Offices within the Roman Church, it's hardly surprising that a comprehensive revision has been slow in coming.

In this household, for more than two decades, we have managed to sing the Office (morning and evening, at least), first in English, then using a combination of English and Latin, and for well over a decade completely in Latin. Being laymen, we have the advantage of mixing new and old rites, which makes the cobbling together both more flexible and spiritually enriching. This has taken no special charism, but merely a spirit of adventure, and a willingness to learn what the Church has, and continually makes, available to us.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • don roy
    i just hastely read all this and am frankly appalled. to define one of the worlds great religions so superficially on the bases of iran etc is like judging christianity soly by studying westborough baptist church.. The comments about the evil religion but nice chanting reminds me of the nazi museum featuring jewish religious art. the museum was called a museum of an extinct race or something along those lines. islam is a complex religion with a complex history and culture. it saved western civilization. to judge it without taking the time to really underastand it is something i wouldnt expect from charles. if this chant cafe is just for fundamentalist catholics then count me out. i thought this blog was on chant not on the superiority of the catholic religion.
    Thanked by 1lautzef
  • don roy
    one more thing...God speaks through beautiful music and i dont think he cares about wether its christian or muslum.
  • CharlesW
    There are groups within Islam who actually practice tolerance and peace toward other religions. Then there are those larger groups who do anything but. The Druze, for example, have been an example of muslims persecuted by other muslims. Islam is often so tied to tribal mentalities and governments that separation between church and state is a completely foreign concept. We are still involved in two wars and are hideously in debt because of "peaceful" muslims. Holy places and shrines have been desecrated and turned into mosques in numerous places in the east. What would you think if St. Peter's was a mosque. Tolerance is good, but it is wise to keep one's eyes open to political realities.
  • to define one of the worlds great religions so superficially on the bases of iran etc is like judging christianity soly by studying westborough baptist church.

Except that WBC specifically denies that it is Christian.

islam ...saved western civilization.

Um, what?
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    I don't want to put words into don roy's mouth. He's a splendid fellow and can speak for himself. I think what he means is that the Islamic civilization preserved the works of the great Greek writers of antiquity. True, they did. But on the other hand, had they not taken those writings when they destroyed the remainder of the Eastern Roman Empire, the Byzantines might have preserved them, as well. Many holy relics are preserved today only because the Crusaders took them before the Muslims had a chance to.

WBC denies it is Christian? Didn't know that. They certainly don't act as if they are.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Look, friends and neighbors, everyone is entitled to advance their opinion for as long as they want to carry on the torch. My friend, Don Roy, is one of the most impassioned talents and persons with integrity that I've been privileged to meet via CMAA, and I don't begrudge him any of his feelings about this or other non-music issues he's addressed. I do ask, of anyone who wants to comment further, that no one misappropriate or ascribe to my voice words or implications that just weren't expressed. In no way, in no post here, at the Cafe or at my blog did I denigrate the Islamic faith, beliefs or ritual practices. I made careful reference that politics, nationalism, theocracies, etc., were not at all the point of departure for my contention. And as I freely admitted, I have so many times myself mis-read or misunderstood due to lazy thinking or ignorance the opinions of others that i realize the ease with which my thoughts could be misconstrued; besides my obtuse loquaciousness and resemblence to John Adams being "obnoxious and dislked!" -)
    Thank you.
  • Hear, hear! Charles W -
    It somehow gets overlooked, doesn't it, that Islam ravenously destroyed eastern and African Christian civilisation and then gets credit for 'saving' the literary heritage which would have remained intact had Christianity been left in peace. The emperor whom our Holy Father quoted to such disquietude several years ago had ample reason for not seeing anything but destruction in Islam as he experienced it. These are bald historical realities. Truth be known, the crusades accomplished as much, if not more, bad as they did good; but, the rise of Islam cannot be characterised as anything other than its own bloody and all-devouring crusade. A sword is a sword, whether it be a broad sword or a scimitar.

Having said that, I will go on record for all of us, in the world of today, to have a genuine and sober respect for the devout and peaceful belief and practice of all religions other than ours. A wise man will respect what is holy to others, and will respect them in their faith. To do otherwise is not, in itself, to be of a Christian or virtuous temperament.
  • This may set off sparks, but I have found Islamic call to prayer stands in contrast to Christian chant in several significant ways
    1- it is not a corporate prayer, it is not in itself part of sacred liturgy as the vast majority of G chant is (hymns not sung in the office would be an exception)
    2- it is not rendered with beauty in mind, it is not sung with beautiful tone
    3- it is always and everywhere sung by men alone

I imagine Islam could contribute something beautiful to the world- sure. But I don't think it's their chant.

Full disclosure- I love and respect Muslims as fellow human beings created by God. I do not respect Islam, nor it's origins, nor it's historic and current problems, which in terms of lives lost dwarf any bloodshed by all other major religions combined. Western Catholics are often unaware of the extensive and ongoing suffering caused by the spread of Islam.

I aim to be tolerant, though I won't close my eyes. My heart is with those who suffer at the hands of Islam, including Muslims (most especially slaves, concubines, women and children) living in harsh situations due to the practice of Islam and Sharia law.

CharlesW, your question about St. Peter's being turned into a mosque is a reminder to all Latin Rite Catholics to grow in awareness and solidarity with oppressed Christians in Islamic-majority countries. How can we love our fellow Christians and not seek out info on how they suffer, so as to pray for them and send other forms of assistance? We can't love them and remain ignorant! There are large numbers of Chaldean Catholics in my area, so it's easier for me to see and hear cries of help.

Sorry for the long comment. The tension between Christianity and Islam is, among other things, a very spiritual battle, known to St. Francis, known to countless saints and martyrs. It is a battle we cannot escape, even if we didn't choose it. It is a spiritual battle that I acknowledge and in which I hope to do my part.
  • don roy
    wow...first, you guys really show me truly what wonderful people you are. we can have disagreements but the level of mutual respect is something i treasure here. may that always be the case and for rthat reason PLEASE CHARLES RECONSAIDER YOUR DECISION TO LEAVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!. i need to tell you that my wonderful niece fell in love and married a muslum and herself converted. i have come to know a religion, like christianity , whos followers are among the best and worst. there were tolerent muslums there were horrible ones. in spain the jews entered a golden age protected by guarenteed tolerence by the capeph. non muslums were required to pay a fine but allowed to practice their religion. muslum spain became a world center of learning that dissapated only when the christians reconqured spain.
    charles is right. ancient greek books were protected and translated into arabic. in fact, when this knowlege was rediscovered by the west, they discovered that there were no greek speakers anywhere in westewrn europe so who did they get to translate into latin?
    yesa there were atrocities and i do scratch my head at the contemporary muslum view on woman ETC but to dismiss an entire religion because its followeres do evil things doesnt take into account our horrible history..the history of all religions. we are humans after all and people are jerks.
    just in case you think there have been no christian atrocities comproble to what we see in pakistan etc let me remind you of this:
    during wwII in modern day rumania there was an orthodox christian village next to a catholic one. the franciscans in the area whipped up such hatred of the orthodox that one night the catholics attacked. captured the orthodox priest and made him recite prayers for the dead as they shot the entire village...men women and children. they saved the priests own family for last and made him witness horrible torture on his wife and children. finally they proceeded to skin the priest alive. this guys was christian violence done JUST OVER 60 YEARS AGO. this episode was in a biography of pius xii i recently read.
    my point is this. evil knows no religion it is merely an opportunist who uses religion to promote hatred. the way it does this is to try and convince you blame the religion for the stupidity and hatreds of its members. if i can hate islam then i can denigrate muslums, make fun of their beliefs, call them savages or less then or whatever and pretty soon, i dont mind if they kill each other and when one of mine gets killed or whgatever i can cheerily say "nuke em till they glow"...sound familiar?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • There certainly can be evil in religion. There are certainly people who do evil in every religion, and among those with no professed religion.
    Sharia law is plain scary- especially for women. I wish more people, especially those caring people among us, would hear the cries of those Muslims oppressed in the name of Islam.
    Right now, under Sharia law, human beings are subject to
    -execution for homosexual acts or even accusations
    -execution for adultery (applies to women only, of course)
    -slavery
    -concubinage
    -honor killing
    -wife abuse
    -genital mutilation (again just for women)
    -divorce by verbal decree

all these things are done to their own co-religionists not by people going against their religion, but by people following their religion- Islam.

• BenBen
    MaryAnn,

I hear you, and completely agree with your posts here.

To back up your point further, think of the mayans and all of the human sacrifice. Does anyone say there's evil in religion there? Of course there is.

We must never forget that while there is some truth in many religions (protestantisim is a great example! We agree more that we disagree in most cases there), the Catholic faith is the one true faith above all others.
  • Kathy
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if more Catholics chanted throughout the day? I thought this--and only this--was the meaning of Jeffrey's post.

It was a travelogue to Turkey so it was about Islam. If it had been a travelogue to a medieval city in France when the Angelus rang out over all the fields, it would have been about Christianity. But travelling to medieval France is so expensive these days...

Let's all face it: Charles overreacted. And then he handled the whole thing badly and self-destructively, in a way that has damaged our common cause. And no, Charles, you're not the great American hero John Adams when you flame out in righteous indignation, hand out ultimata, and resign things. Adams stayed the course.
  • don roy
    i love and respect charles dearly but i agree with kathy. and about sharia law....i can only remind us of our common heritage which is equally brutal..an eye for an eye and all that but deuteronamy etc is as descriptive of christianity as sharia law defines islam....it doesnt.
  • don roy
    and mary ann dont forget the sodamy laws in uganda that mandates death for homosexuality. this from a modern christian nation with backing from christians in the usa.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • lmassery
    my 2 cents on the issue at hand: I know we are supposed to appreciate what is true good and beautiful about other religions and that this shouldn't compromise our faith in Christ. For that reason I appreciated JT's article. However, I also believe that satan mixes some beauty and half-truths in with his lies in order to deceive. So it follows that if satan is using Islamic prayer and chant to attract men away from the light of Christ then I feel very uncomfortable extolling it. My mixed feelings on this remain unresolved.
  • don roy
    one final thought i promise. this forum is about chant. the 3 great monotheistic religions...christianity, judeism, and islam didnt come about in a vacume...they cross bread sharing liturgical and musical ideas. a study of islamic cantillation just might give insight into the origins of chant. for example, what is the roll of language in the developement of melody. wether or not one approves, islam is a major world religion that has had a huge influence...both positive and negative...on the developement of our world. we dismiss them at our peril.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Tucker
  • francis
    charles

it was just a parallel. not espousing islam. come back.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    "All the gods of the pagans are demons." Psalm 95:5 Septuagint.

I always thought this clearly explained the gods of other religions. I know a recent pope, a great man, thought the god of Islam was the same as the Old Testament god. I never agreed with that, and I suspect the Jews wouldn't, either.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, i'm still here.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Speaking of talking at cross purposes, I thought maybe I missed some gossip about John Luther Adams, since this composer would surely never be described as "obnoxious and dislked!"
  • I totally disagree:

Let's all face it: Charles overreacted. And then he handled the whole thing badly and self-destructively, in a way that has damaged our common cause. And no, Charles, you're not the great American hero John Adams when you flame out in righteous indignation, hand out ultimata, and resign things. Adams stayed the course.

Kathy, only a great American hero has the right to determine who is a hero and you're no JFK or John Adams. Attacking a loved and respected group member is a shocking act.

Assuming that we all have a common cause waters down everything down into, "It's ok to sing hymns instead of propers." and "We have to be culturally-sensitive and do music the people like and come from their culture.", this the criticisms I have heard more and more about Musica Sacra...that the bulk of the members are willing to let things go on as they have instead of working towards a goal, the goal of restoring the liturgy.

And, as Charles, known as Melofluent, the melo coming from CA Wines, I am sure, abandoned the ship known as Chant Cafe, not MS. Seeing recently that JT is once again on the masthead at the Liturgical site he once left, leaves hope that the artist formerly known as Charles in Cen Ca, will once again go on deck at Chant Cafe.

I feel strongly about this, though if Melo's not on Chant Cafe, there's a chance his posting numbers will quickly exceed mine....except, I just realize that changing your name JMO and CinCenCa, also resets your posting numbers back to 0! Heck. Well, I feel that this post is not a waste, though it does add to my total while desperately trying to cut back.
  • Kathy
    Noel, Charles overreacted.
  • Wow it is soooo tempting to jump into to discuss politics and religion, and point out, for example.... Ok, I'm resisting.

Anyway, back to the point: the chant has a played a high role in sustaining Islam even in a secular country, and its preservation and practice is a given part of the faith, and this has served that faith well. We have a deeper and even more beautiful chant tradition that marks the day and season and yet it is largely unheard even by those who are practicing the faith. It's funny to me, for example, that many Christians think Muslims are just bizarre and weird for thinking that their day ought to be marked by chanted prayer.

by the way, this is the video I originally linked. Note the sheer athleticism of the exercise. Short phrase, long phrase, short phrase longer phrase, short phrase exceedingly long phrase, and so on. You can hear the singer gather his breath between the phrases. By the way, some very serious Gregorian chant scholars have looked to the Islamic tradition as an interpretative device for understanding what might be some of our own lost stylings.
    http://youtu.be/mUHDYlJHaOQ

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm biting my tongue too, but in conscience can only recommend that course to those still calm enough not to bite their own clear off. ;-)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    When it comes to resistance towards discussing religion, Jeffrey, I see no need to here. Again, I wish folks would acknowledge, by perhaps reading carefully, I've not advanced one iota of thought regarding the intersection of religion and politics, tolerance or intolerance, oppression or freedom, pristine or pernicious histories in my "protests." Others have seen fit to ascribe that I've done so. Whatever "political" aspects that have erupted appear to my being impolitic about not wanting to maintain my association with being a blog contributor when my convictions about the association were severely challenged. This right of free speech is still extended to all of us here, last I checked. The right to associate freely also implies a right to disassociate freely. And, by and large, I regard all of the reactions, mostly negative as serious impetus to scour my conscience about my convictions.
    I'm glad to see you re-engage with the core tenets of your observations. I'm personally more attracted to the work of Sven Michael Olbash in SF in this area, but good on you.
    Noel, I wouldn't worry about my post count going up. W and I are now having the grandsons over for two nights at a time quite a bit, and these boys are getting more interesting day by day.
    Best to all...especially JT and all the folks at the Cafe.
  • CharlesW
    Anyway, back to the point: the chant has a played a high role in sustaining Islam even in a secular country, and its preservation and practice is a given part of the faith, and this has served that faith well.

Ask the Orthodox living in Turkey just how secular that government is. It puts every obstacle possible in front of the Greek Christians living in Turkey, including restrictions on the Ecumenical Patriarch. Any number of those "secular" muslims would relish the opportunity to kill him. We routinely hear or read that they have tried and failed. I think that country is more muslim than secular.
  • Kathy
    A few years ago I helped proofread a dissertation on the difference between the politics of Turkey and Egypt. The student began with the premise that Turkey had grown intentionally pluralistic during the time when Egypt became extremist and radical, and then tried to discover what decisions had been made that made this happen.

I don't think chant entered into that particular dissertation, fwiw.

Jeffrey used to tell the story of going to Rome and everyone knew the Regina Caeli (or some chant) except for the Americans. Wouldn't it be great if every Catholic knew the whole PBC? I certainly don't see the downside.
  • chonakchonak
    On one hand, if non-Christians have some beautiful devotional music directed toward God (even if their concept of God is gravely erroneous), we can give credit where it's due and recognize that it's somewhat good.

On the other hand, I don't find the "call to prayer" beautiful: a harsh sound, amplified, imposing its erroneous profession in totalitarian manner.

So I'll give Charles a thumbs-up here.
  • Hmmmm, well, Richard, it's probably one of those "you had to be there" kind of things.
  • matthewjmatthewj

What I would love to know is how often something like this makes its way into Muslim formal worship, compared to how often something like this is sung in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. That would make for an interesting area of discussion. I remember having a conversation with a Jewish fellow a few years ago who had told me that they had seen a disturbing amount of 'informal' things creeping into their worship.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I remember, while still the day after colloqium at Loyola, checking into the Westin on the Miracle Mile and noticing that the Reformed Jewish version of NPM was having their annual convention in ChiTown, Matthew. I, the consummate goy, just glided through the registrations lines to the exhibits, and outside of the trinket stuff, it was all about getting the FACP through "personal engagement" in songs with just enough salt to be kosher, and guitars agog. What a bender in juxtaposition!
    I think, upon reflection, that we ought to call the 21st century the Century of Death by Sincerity. YMMV (the new tetragrammaton.)