Braille resources for chant and polyphony?
  • AOZ
    We have a potential schola member who needs braille resources. Listening to MP3s is a good start. But I'm wondering what else might be out there for chant, poly, etc.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Interesting! I'm in contact with a blind director of a recently formed girls' choir, for whom I supplied an XML version of my SA Ave Maria, which she then converted to Braille using a program called Goodfeel. She sent me back the Braille file (.brf) for this work, and it is likely that she has other works in Braille (.brf) format or might even be persuaded to convert scores from XML to Braille.
  • TeresaH
    The topic of Catholic braille music is dear to my heart. I use braille music and have been working toward making sacred music available in braille. With the generosity of the composers on this forum so much quality music is available to all, free of charge. I'd like to work towards making it available in braille as well. I can answer specific questions but will be away from my computer for a few days. I am the one that Chuck Giffen referred to.
    Teresa
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Teresa:

Many on the forum here are of the geeky sort that can do MusicXML, Lilypond, or Gregorio conversion. Are there things we can do to help? A online repository we can contribute to?
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thank you to anyone who can help with making braille music available. I'm quite sure that CPDL would be happy to provide a repository for freely downloadable braille choral music.

I'm so glad that Teresa posted above. With her guidance and expertise at converting from XML to braille, we should be able to get something going. I have no problem exporting FInale .mus files to XML format, which is what Goodfeel seems to need to create braille .brf files. And Teresa has already given me a couple of hints about what has to be in the Finale (or XML) files, so that Goodfeel can line up the words correctly ... you need to slur all melismas!
  • TeresaH
    The geeky sort is just what we need. XML files work pretty well as long as everything is included, as Chuck said. The only better extension is a .lim which is produced by the LIME Music Editor. So if anyone uses Lime they are best, as they import into Goodfeel without conversion. My understanding of gregorio is limited, Adam. When you say "Gregorio conversion" do you mean converting from chant notation to modern notation? There is a braille system for chant but no program to convert printed chant to braille notation as far as I know.
    Frogman Noel Jones has been a lot of help to me in answering chant questions and in helping me figure out about converting files.
    Just as a bit of information, there are 5 people I know of in my diocese who read braille and are involved in parish music; 2 of us accompany, 2 others sing in choirs and can read braille music and the 5th can't read music but uses braille words. I know that a lot more would play or sing or direct if the music were available.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen