Job postings: why is it that...?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Most of these notices of "help wanted" have the pro forma "proficiency on the organ/piano/keyboard" caveat? Yes, from Drs. Pasqual, Latona all the way to Teitze and DeVos, they are distinguished organists who also have the luxury of full time organists and organ associates who actually accompany the various quires while the "director" conducts. We've had many discussions about the ideal combination of a gifted director paired to a great organist. What is it about the general group think that a DM at any level has to be also, an organist?
  • chonakchonak
    Most pastors probably figure (rightly or not) that the parish can't afford to hire two people for these roles.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. (Your last sentence doesn't even make grammatical sense to me, so I can't tell if you're asking what we think about this, or why do churches do this?)

Personally, I don't care. A church can ask for whatever qualifications they want to for a position. If the person they end up hiring doesn't end up using all of their qualifications, then it's the church's loss for not having expanded their applicant pool. And why do they do this? Maybe b/c they are looking for an organist? So what if they're a big church who already has another organist? What's wrong with wanting a DM who can also fill in for the organist in a pinch?

ETA: I'm also not sure what discussions you're referring to about the "ideal" combination of a gifted director and organist. *I* personally don't think so. Unless a church is quite large (like 6+ weekend liturgies,) I see nothing wrong with having the DM do everything. (Then it could be argued that it is a full-time position, which is always a good thing!)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Yup down to dollars, but it would be wisest to find the right person for the job and that might mean someone who is or is not necessarily organ proficient. Especially when you really want to grow and build a program of sacred music. Personality will be paramount in a situation like the one in Marquette.
    A stipend could be found for a "fly-in" organist... a possible solution. Fundraisers held for an organ and organist fund??.... One would have to be creative, but so we should be.

I was once asked by superb organist of the highest calibre to direct his choirs. He was french and he was more used to playing and working with a director/conductor. Alas, this never happened, but he certainly knew where his strength was. As it happens, he is an excellent musician (as most organists are) and does a fine job with his ensembles.
  • CharlesW
    Melofluent, you could reverse the question a bit and ask why some think all organists are directors. Granted, I studied conducting in college, as do most organists. Do all organists enjoy conducting? Maybe, maybe not.
  • GavinGavin
    I think, in nearly EVERY aspect, describing an "ideal" situation for every parish is impossible.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • As others have noted, every situation is different. And, as also noted, any situation could be altered.

There are some parishes who list organ skills as a requirement because the director and the organist are the same person. That simple. There is one organist for the parish. That's a hard situation for larger parishes, because it can easily mean burn-out for a director. I think, in the more ideal situations, the director is also an organist because he may either fill in on occasion, or he may play one or two other Masses, while there is a "fly-in" organist who plays the principle Mass while the conductor directs. That situation is fairly easy, because chances are those Masses that aren't the principle Masses just require hymns. So, anyone with a modest skill at the organ is able to play.

I am a very modest organist. I can play hymns and simple preludes and postludes, but I also accompany the principle Mass most of the time. Reason being is that the Introit, Offertory, and Communion are all sung in plainsong. Most of the motets are sung without accompaniment. So, that leaves me to play the Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia, closing hymn, and incidental music. Not really a tall order.

I think a job description is the place where employers place their hopes and dreams. People who don't apply because they lack one or two of the skills that are listed often sell themselves short. For example...a job may call for a Masters degree. You may have a bachelor's degree with 10 years of experience. You should still apply. The position may call for organ skills, but you may have very limited keyboard skills. Still apply. Your personality, knowledge, and experience may be impressive to them...and that may lead them to re-work the position.

Long and the short of it folks...if you see a dream job, then apply. The worst they can do is say "no."
  • People who study the piano are not immersed in the music of the church, no matter which way they turn, like organists are, due to the fact that the organ is rarely found outside a church. Even atheists have to learn to play Bach.

So for that reason, requiring a person to be an organist to be director helps eliminate a lot of lounge pianist directors of music from wasting their time and the church's time interviewing.

Billy Joel, though very talented, need not apply. And guitarists, as well.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ergo, by your literal words, an atheist who is capable of playing JSB's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, remains a more legitimate and viable candidate for a RCC DM position than a guitarist (no matter of what degreed or not variety) who may also hold multiple degrees in choral repertoire, pedagogy or sacred literature? S/he's disqualified because of the instrument, period. Hmmm. Pretty cut and dry.
  • BruceL
    melofluent the scenario you list directly above is rare. No, organ aptitude does not mean that you automatically are a good choral conductor or choir rehearser. However, many of us who grew up wanting to be professional church musicians saw the handwriting on the wall and knew we would have to get an organ degree (or at least good training on the instrument) to have a shot at a good position. Often, aptitude at both areas of church music (choirs and organ) makes it possible to have a full-time gig, whereas splitting a job in to two part-time positions can open the door to a host of issues (personality, musicianship, lower-quality-musicians, etc.) In addition, we are an Anglophone country, and our choral tradition is strongly influenced by English and German roots. In those countries, choirmasters almost always play the organ proficiently in church circles.

Finally, some sort of keyboard proficiency really is necessary to be a choral conductor in a church setting. One seldom has the money to hire someone to read a 6-8 voice motet in open score, and even if the money is there, you might not be able to find someone to do the job.

I know this is not a direct answer, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I sincerely believe that, if a parish is going to put up the money for a full-time position, the DM should be capable of leading the weekend liturgies completely by themselves. I imagine that many of us do just that over the summer months when the choirs are in recess. This is why they are asking for someone who can sing, play the organ, and conduct choirs: because there's one staff person allotted for music in many places.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I do that on a regular basis. I was the organist in the past, but when the DM left, the pastor just promoted me up, knowing I could play. But, I wouldn't recommend it. And, I also do some masses alone, where I am the one person music section (cantor, organist and director). It's not easy and I wouldn't advocate it for any parish, no matter how small. I can't speak for anybody else, but it's incredibly difficult to play beautiful music when I'm singing verse 3 of a hymn and vying for both the lyrics and the staff.
  • Must we deal with atheist guitarists with multiple degrees on this forum today?
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • francis
    Qualification:

If you read the Michigan requirement once more, it is

1. Fidelity to the Faith and
    2. understanding of sacred music (church docs, etc.)

that are the key reqs, and for that I am very grateful AND thrilled to see! This needs to be the standard on ANY music position in the church.

Musically, then being able to lead, teach and sing chant has to be number one, and then polyphony, and then hymns on the organ perhaps. If you can play Bach, well that's nice, but not a requirement in the RCC liturgy. Virtuoso organ music is simply icing on the cake. If you have a director who is virtuoso organist, but isn't interested in chant, IMHO, is in the wrong position.

The job title of an authentic RC church musician is (used to be) and should be into the future, Choirmaster and Organist (professional catholic skilled in sacred music). Pianists and guitarists can apply to the local bar, and many solo voices I hear belong in the theatre or the opera, not the liturgy. (sorry wolfgang)
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Melofluent seems to be asking a rhetorical question, with the implicit answer being lack of imagination. I think there may be something to that, even in cases where only a single musician can be afforded. Wouldn't a good cantor with By Flowing Waters be an ideal solution for small churches that can't afford even a decent e-piano?

I sometimes fill my Christmas Eve break by strolling to a nearby 11:00 Midnight Mass; once I heard the congregation trying to get through Silent Night played on an excreable instrument, rather slowly but in 5/8 time. At least they had found someone who was keyboard proficient, and probably not an atheist (I do not go around asking such questions, however). Would anyone here not prefer a guitar or violin or (gasp!) a trained singer in this situation?
  • john m
    The Upper Michigan job includes not only the cathedral's music but helping parishes implement the Bishop's directives. A high level of proficiency in both organ and conducting, as well as diplomacy and patience, is definitely a necessity in a wilderness region of small towns, smallish parishes and volunteers who have not had a lot of formal training. Here's a pic of the Cathedral for those interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/scattered/7576615750/

And here is a video of Mass concluding the Diocesan Sacred Music Conference in June. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZUNsK6eUk

The fine people who make up the choir are the musicians from around the diocese. Whoever is interested in applying ought to have a look at this, because these good folks are among the people you'll be working with. And be charitable in the commentary - for a lot of these singers, this was their first time singing chant.
    Thanked by 2marajoy CHGiffen
  • They do a GREAT job! Such enthusiasm. Of course, when interest comes from the top and filters down through very talented people it has to encourage all those they touch.
    Thanked by 1john m
  • CharlesW
    Nice organ, too!
  • BruceL
    John M, you have to start somewhere. There's no shame in that. If the bishop (and rector) are in the musician's corner, this person will be in great shape. The Youtube is recorded so close to people, too, that it would be hard to get a sound even with professional singers.

You are also very right that it is a challenge to deal with a wide range of musicians (and their experience or lack thereof); however, it is even more so a great opportunity! If you have everyone on the same page, liturgically speaking, or at least "having the conversation" with the support of the bishop, that is very positive. I'll definitely keep this job, diocese, etc., in my prayers! We need to see more of this!

In addition, I know some on this forum probably don't love having the cathedra in the center of the sanctuary, but I think this is one of the more elegant presentations of that arrangement that I've seen.
  • francis
    my only beef is that the choirs should have been in the choir loft.
  • john m
    Thank you, Bruce. I agree completely. My request for charity was not meant to be critical of the quality of the singing (the mics were indeed too close to the singers) but to forestall misplaced criticism. I know well how church musicians tend very easily to descend into snarkiness and nitpicking while losing sight of the bigger picture and I wished to avoid that. In the video, I am in fact the cantor on the Communion chant and this is my Cathedral and Bishop Sample is, I am honoured to say, my Bishop. Thank you for your prayers for us. We are indeed blessed in our Bishop and his insistence on fidelity.

Francis - normally the cathedral choir sings from the choir loft. This was a unique occasion.
  • CharlesW
    Beautiful building, and nice organ. I wondered why it wasn't used more. Every time I hear ICEL chant, I tend to get a different impression from the times when I am conducting or playing it. It is dreary and gloomy, and critics who tell me it is boring are right. I tell them that it is based on the old mass for the dead, so it is a bit down and gloomy. I accompany it just to try and add another texture to it. I don't know why ICEL chose this particular mass setting, but they did. Even though I don't particularly like it, I have to admit it is preferable to many settings in the popular realm. I actually thought the singing was not bad at all. Who was the organist? He/she sounded pretty good, I thought.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • francis
    i am delighted to see this diocese going in the right direction, and a Bishop who is getting it to happen. we need more of this! bravo!
  • CharlesW
    No problem with the bishop, or his intentions. My regret is that the only exposure too many people have to chant, is the ICEL. It is not the best of the best.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    The ICEL chants may not be the most splendid examples of the genre, but they are simple and therein lies the beauty. Those who are old enough to remember singing chant in their youth remember the requiem. As a starting point for reintroducing chant into the liturgy it seems to be a logical choice. Once the congregation is ready for something more advanced they can still fall back on these for funerals and other occasions where catholics from different parishes come together for worship. My congregation still isn't ready for more ornate ordinaries but for the most part they sing these during Advent, Lent and at funerals in a English or Latin with little griping.
  • CharlesW
    ICEL chant is simple and easily learned, so I understand choosing it for the missal in that sense. My congregation is tiring of it, if the rumblings I am hearing are correct. They also are not eager to go back to any Latin chants, except on an occasional basis, such as Lent. I may have to switch to something they like better beginning at Christmas. I can use the ICEL chant, just not all year. It doesn't wear well enough for that.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Agreed.
  • TCJ
    The chanting that was done farther from the camera sounded better, so I agree, most likely the proximity of the camera didn't do the singers any favors.

The organ at the end I find to be annoying, if anything. I'm not much of a fan of that style of music. The clapping didn't help either.
  • ryandryand
    I figured that the ICEL chants were chosen because they correspond to the "minimum repertoire" contained in Jubilate Deo.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • "People who study the piano are not immersed in the music of the church..."

Unless, like me, piano was a principal instrument in college, while chant and polyphony became a passion thereafter. (Organ, sadly, nevermore.)
    Thanked by 2Gavin SkirpR
  • CharlesW
    I think so much depends on the individual musician. I learned notes and fingering on piano, then went to organ. Organ is what I wanted to study. A good friend went the other way, and developed considerable technique on piano before attempting organ. He is still better on piano, and I play organ better. He's happy, and so am I.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • john m
    The ICEL chants were selected for this Mass because the Diocese is in the process of implementing the new translation of the Roman Missal and therefore the use of the Missal chants seemed expedient. No one is proposing that these are the be-all and end-all of the Gregorian repertoire. Baby steps...This is a diocese in which OCP has held sway for many many years.

The applause at the end of the postlude is, I agree, unfortunate. That is, alas, where a lot a Catholics are right now. I addressed this recently with my own parish choir, asking them to consider the occasion and the fact that all sacred music in the Liturgy is prayer and that applause, however well-intentioned, is inappropriate. They took it to heart and have cooperated admirably since then. Due to our fallen nature, we all tend to slip into bad habits. Charity and patience are of the essence.

I must apologize to the original poster of this topic - we have strayed quite far from the initial thread. Mea culpa!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not needed, all posts welcomed..