Two nice moments
  • rogue63
    I was rehearsing the Offertory for the 26th Week of OT---Super flumina---from the Anglican Use Gradual with my boys and girls choirs yesterday and today. I told them the story of the Babylonian captivity, and the heartbreak of the exiles, and the longing for a return to Jerusalem and a place of heavenly union with God. They were absolutely spellbound, and the simple psalm-tone setting was a perfect match. They understood what it was to break a law, and then feel very sorry for having done so, as the Israelites did. "By the rivers of Babylon we sat down and wept..." It was a great pleasure to share some of my scriptural favorites with the students, two days in a row.
  • Simple stories like this can really help keep us all going. And they often seem to involve children, don't they? ;)

One of my favorites was the day a 5th grader from my school schola was skipping through a pew chanting the simple "Agnus Dei" with great gusto. When I smiled her direction she paused and said, "Oh, sorry...I love that one and I always sing it in the shower!"
  • Palestrina also wrote a lovely setting of that text. But I am particularly glad that you were able to use the text of the propers to instruct the kids.

There are probably better recordings out there, but this one seems okay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98t8dCW7SIw