What should I be doing for school Masses?
  • To set the scene: I am a new music teacher in a Catholic primary school. I was raised in a distinctly non-liturgical church tradition and my teaching and performing background is primarily in instrumental music, so a lot of this is very new to me. Part of my job is to organize music for weekly school masses. In the past, this has meant hymns/songs for a processional and recessional, as well as communion and an offertory, so this is what I have been doing. (We sing the ordinary using the same setting that the parish uses on weekends, so I don't really have to worry about that.) The students are familiar with most of the standard hymns in addition to the more contemporary songs. I do try to schedule mostly traditional hymns and limit the contemporary/fluff to one per week, but I don't want a rebellion on my hands.

I have a great deal of respect for the traditions of the Church and I want to do this right. What else should I be doing to support high-quality liturgy and ensure that my students develop an understanding and appreciation for the musical heritage of the church? Is it necessary/practical to sing propers at a weekday Mass in a situation like this? How would I even go about instituting that?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Propers are always proper. In fact, selecting a seasonal antiphon that could be sung for either the entrance or comunion chant may encourage singing more than strophic hymnody. By Flowing Waters, which is an English adaptation of the simple gradual would be a good resource. For the responsorial psalm, I usually set the antiphon myself to a simple melody since weekday psalms aren't as readily available and then chant the verses to a psalm tone. The Ward Hymnal is also a good resource for simple yet beautiful hymns and chants that are not at all trite-available as a free download from Musica Sacra.
  • BenBen
    If you are interested in starting to use the propers, By Flowing Waters (The Graduale Simplex translated and adapted into english) is a great resource, as all the propers are 1) short, 2) fairly easy, 3) seasonal. This means there's 6 "Masses" for ordinary time, and you simply rotate through them as you please, and you also don't need different propers for weekdays. The other seasons are the same way.

I would encourage you to check it out, to use in place of some or all of the hymns, or in addition to them (such as singing 2 verses of the hymn, then the entrance chant).
  • lynnm
    Personally, I would start them on the SEP (Simple English Propers by Adam Bartlett). Perhaps the Communion Chant first. The younger ones may need help with the words but they can manage with a little extra help. Let the older ones or a group to be your 'schola' do the psalm verses. The practice videos are up so you have an idea how they should be sung, although with children it is best to keep them moving a little faster than the practice videos. If you need the keyboard accompaniment they are available in the Vernacular Plainsong area of this forum. I suggest the SEP because this introduces the modal nature of true plainsong (Gregorian Chant). Once you have begun to sing them you will see how they fit together and you can perhaps introduce the Introit for special feasts. Any ferial (weekday) mass without a special saint celebration can use the same chants from the Sunday. Also, take a look at the special chant programme for children - Words with Wings. Once you have introduced a bit of English chant you may feel brave enough to try Latin. It is not as hard as it seems and if you are enthusiastic and give the children a sense of doing something really special they will not disappoint. As for hymns, try to use the more traditional and liturgically correct ones rather than some of the more contemporary ones, although only you can know what will work with your students. What ordinary are you using? Simple English ordinaries are available at ccwatershed. Or, one we use with great success here in the UK is the Belmont Mass. But don't be afraid to introduce a simple Latin ordinary.
  • lynnm
    Another thought, make sure you discuss everything with your pastor/school chaplain. Explain what you want to do by way of connecting the children to the heritage of the faith and moving them forward into how the liturgy will be moving in the coming years. For there is a definite movement towards the use of more chant and sung propers, both English and Latin.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm not sure how much I can really handle at this point, and I'm not sure that it is my place (as a new teacher and catechumen) to fight some of these battles, but I'll talk to our pastor and music director and see what they think.
  • canadashcanadash

The ideas above are right on the mark.

Here is the link for the Simple English Propers.
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/simple_english_propers.pdf

At the end of the book (p.439) are propers which may be used for Communion at any Mass. You can use the same one for a few Masses, then learn another and switch the two, then learn another etc. I find this is a good way to make a gentle start into the concept. I have also used Taize chant with the verses to the proper of the day as an introduction into having the psalms in their rightful place at Mass. Sometimes they are written as canons, and some have texts that are based on the propers (a back up in the case your suggestions are condemned!)
  • chonakchonak
    The Parish Book of Psalms might be helpful:
    http://musicasacra.com/pbp
  • I second the seasonal antiphon idea but think it might be a step too far too soon. By Flowing Waters or SEP might be too complex or too new for a school all at once. Perhaps try teaching the kids some chanty hymns such as Creator of the Stars of Night for advent or Godhead Here in Hiding and try singing them a capella. Kids love to sing a capella. Then try to teach them some latin songs such as O Sanctissima or some simple latin Taize song. Then perhaps they'll be open to some other sort of antiphon
  • There are 7 Ad Libitum Communion Antiphons. I highly recommend "O Taste and See How Gracious the Lord is", which seems to be the simplest of them all.

There are great chant hymns which also work well. "Godhead here in hiding" for example.

Teach them some Latin Chant. Children love it because it is something special and they don't get to use it anywhere else. I recommend Agnus Dei from Mass XVIII and Agnus Dei Ad Libitum II, Sanctus XVIII and then pick a few different Kyries such as Mass XII, XVI, XVIII, which are the easiest, and perhaps move them onto Kyrie XI Orbis Factor.

The key is to build them up, introducing something new each "lesson" and revising all the stuff that they should know or should remember from the last lesson.
    Thanked by 2canadash PMulholland
  • Here is an example of a "Seasonal Leaflet". It has Mass XVIII on the front, 4 traditional hymns, a latin chant and a Marian antiphon.

This is only a draft. I still have work to do on the layout and typsetting, but it gives you an idea. Mass XVIII is ideal because it is used in both Advent and Lent, and there is no gloria which means that it can be learned quickly.
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • Ordinaries. Maybe the most important thing to look at. What are you doing for the Kyrie, Gloria, etc...?
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • rogue63
    I have found the Richard Terry Short Mass in C to be useful, simple, and quite beautiful.