Seeking Psalm 33 *** Now with recording of melofluent's setting
  • JDE
    Does anyone know of a setting of Psalm 33 for the Nuptial Mass? I need one in English that can be used as a Responsorial Psalm. This is for a mixed marriage, so it's just readings, rings and vows, and no Latin because the bride's family are Lutheran.

I am going to sing this Psalm with a Lutheran cantrix who happens to be a friend and colleague, so I am looking for something good. I'm writing one at present, but I'm running out of gas (mentally) and time.

Any help, especially in the form of new settings or pointers toward existing settings, would be most appreciated.
  • JDE
    And hey, no need to rush these things, but did I mention this is for a wedding this coming Saturday? No pressure ...
  • A few settings, but not sure if they will interest you:

http://noelchabanel.org/psalms/wedding_C_1/
  • JDE
    Thank you, Paul! I have reviewed those, and was looking for something more through-composed (in other words more song-like). Those are perfectly good settings, just not quite what I need.
  • JDE
    Maybe I should clarify that I have exactly two voices for this endeavor - showbiz female cantor plus an ex-operatic baritenor with a bad cold - plus a pianist who won't want to learn anything too hard in three days.

Okay, I admit ... this *is* asking too much. Back to work, then.
  • BruceL
    Guimont setting is ok to me and "showy" enough that you won't get in trouble. Verses are slightly different than in Sunday lectionary.
  • JDE
    Thanks, Bruce!

I've already written my setting. Sleep is for the weak, and for those with no deadlines. Thank goodness for caffeine. ;)
  • JDE
    Thank you, Charles! This is way better than what I had written ... not always my best work under pressure!

I'm totally using this and giving you credit in the program, if they haven't already printed it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Quite welcome, JDE. Lend me your voice some day, we'll call it even. Sorry, when I saved it as pdf, the text (as usual) got offset. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
  • JDE
    I thought that looked like an Acrobat problem. We'll piece it together ... do you usually do these in "direct mode" (no repeat of the refrain) at your church? At mine, most of the crowd won't sing the refrain for the psalm.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Charles.... new user name?
    Is this going to be a trend now?
  • JDE
    Adam, maybe that's just Charles' nom de guerre for his compositions.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    AW, me off grid now! Not a trend, I just thought that Jonathan's descriptors matched a work I'd just written for a former student's wedding just two Saturdays ago and met his criteria, so I'm sneeking back just to help an old friend. Consider me otherwise following the Bourne Legacy! ;-)
    Jonathan, we pretty much have stuck with R&A quite well. Our psalmists get direct training from me and Wendy, so the Alstott verses aren't sung verbatim, and are never chanted slowly or syllabically. However, we have done two Masses with schola using AOZ's new book versions.
    I'm posting now primarily at my own blog.
    Some of my old friends and colleagues might appreciate this news from CA.:

http://cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/09/18/free-gregorian-chant-classes/

• JDE
    Charles, so sorry I did not post this sooner, but it's been a crazy several months for me. I just thought you might want to hear that we did actually use your Psalm 33 setting (recast as a duet with piano).

Thanks again for providing this!

Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Beautiful rendition, JDE, bless you for that. Were you accompanying as well? Pass on compliments to your soprano, very lovely.
  • JDE
    No, the church organist was playing for us. He is a very accomplished pianist. The soprano sings mainly theatrical music, but she did a fine job, i thought. She is the cousin of the bride.