By All Your Saints Still Striving - Public Domain?
  • Is the Hymn "By All Your Saints Still Striving", commonly sung to AURELIA a public domain hymn?

It seems to be an adaption of "For All Thy Saints in Warfare"
  • It is and adaptation of "For All Thy Saints in Warfare." "In Warfare" is definitely public domain, as it author died in 1913. "By All Your Saints Still Striving" is copyright 1985 by Church Publishing, Inc.

Definitely NOT public domain. Also, I'm more used to hearing it to ST. THEODULPH than AURELIA.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Andrew's right - and it's very complicated!

In the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal, only some stanzas inserted between the two Public Domain stanzas are copyright 1985 by The Church Pension Fund, such as the brief example of the one inserted below.

There are many added stanzas, some PD, some not.

Unfortunately, 1982 fails to note which of the many inserted stanzas available in the book are copyright and which are Public Domain. This is a rare omission, their copyright pages are very reliable. So these new verses are generally covered by their book copyright, requiring further search that should make it possible to determine which of those stanzas are old & PD and may be reprinted. The copyright reference in hymnary.org just refers to "vs."

The music for 231 and the harmonization of 232 are copyright OUP.

PUBLIC DOMAIN:
    By all your saints still striving
    For all your saints at rest,
    Your holy name, O Jesus,
    Forevermore be blest!
    You rose, our King victorious,
    That they might wear the crown
    And ever shine in splendor
    Reflected from your throne.

Inserted stanzas appear here.

PUBLIC DOMAIN:
    Then let us praise the Father
    And worship God the Son
    And sing to God the Spirit,
    Eternal Three in One,
    Till all the ransomed number
    Who stand before the throne,
    Ascribe all power and glory
    And praise to God alone.

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • So let me get this clear:

1.) "By all your saints... from your throne." is Public Domain
    2.) "Then let us praise... to God alone." is Public Domain

Then what other stanzas are public domain? I was working on one for St Edmund Campion and St Mary of the Cross Mackillop. When I am happy with them, they shall be free under Creative Commons. I would consider it a great compliment if they are ever published in a Hymnal.
  • "Then what other stanzas are public domain? "

Do a google search using say, the first line of the stanza and see if it pops up as copyright...

Referring to the message below: Did you go to Google as suggested? If so you would discover on the first page a link to hymnary.org which would have the answer.
  • I'm hoping that "Apostles Prophets, Martyrs..." is Public Domain.
  • Okay, a bit of research as shown that the verse "Apostle, prophets, martyrs..." is public domain (the author died in 1913).

I have written a Hymn verse in honour of St Francis Xavier since his relics are currently visiting Sydney:

And for Saint Francis Xavier
    we praise You evermore;
    A witness to Your Gospel
    On many far-flung shore.
    We ask his mission'ry zeal be
    with all of us today.
    And bring us ever closer
    to You in heav'n we pray.

I have decided to license this verse under creative commons so that it is effectively public domain, on the condition that it be acknowledged/credited as "By Martin Christopher Hartley (born 1986)"
  • Post-Scriptum:

It is assumed that this will fall as the 3rd verse in the order:

1. By all Your saints still striving...
    2. Apostles, prophets, martyrs...
    3. And for Saint Francis Xavier...
    4. Then let us praise the Father...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    hartley: I think the particular license you want to specify is:
    CC: BY-NC-SA

BY = Attribution: copies and derived works must credit the original
    NC = Non commercial: copies and derived works can be used only for non-commercial endeavors
    SA = Share-alike: copies and derived works must be placed in the commons using this or a similar license

You could be more or less restrictive, for example, not allowing derived works (which seems rude) or allowing commercial use. But the above is the most common CC license used for church-related works.

I generally clarify even further, appending the following to copies of my work:

CC: BY-NC-SA
    Free for most religious purposes.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/deed.en_US
  • Adam, thanks - that's the one.
  • This new hymn verse was sung publicly for the first time today (17/9) at a special mass for the veneration of the Relics of St Francis Xavier at St Benedict's Church, Chippendale (Sydney, Australia). It was very well-recieved and I could clearly hear the congregation singing it.

So yes, feel free to stick that hymn verse into your hymn collections.
  • Hymnary.org is a great resource.

See these two pages for Public Domain verses in the Lutheran Service Book of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod...

http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/LSB2006/517
    http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/LSB2006/518

A slightly different version appears in Evangelical Lutheran Worship of the ELCA, but it's not at Hymnary.org.

I believe that all of the public domain material contained within LSB is uploaded on to hymnary.org... a great gift. And there are many other contemporary (and older) hymn texts uploaded there.

Rob