Suitable Hymn for Triumph of the Cross Sept 14?
  • I'm looking for a suitable hymn for the Triumph of the Cross on September 14th. Preferably something that is public-doman and fairly simple. If it is an unfamiliar hymn tune, then either in meter 8888 or 8787 so I can use Old 100th or Aurelia for the hymn setting.

Thanks in Advance.
  • Chrism
    The Royal Banners Forward Go
    Abroad the Regal Banners Fly
    Faithful Cross
    Lift High the Cross
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Seconded on Lift High The Cross- great hymn.

Also: Crux Fidelis (Faithful Cross) - 878787, but you really oughta use the original tune regardless.

And I'm partial to Take Up Your Cross, although that's really more about discipleship than about the Triumph of the Cross. -- 8888 (the 1982 has BOURBON, contemp Catholic hymnals have WALY WALY, and older Anglican hymnals use a really excellent tune which name I cannot remember... all are good in different ways)

If your congregation is of the "old time religion" persuasion, there's also In the Cross of Christ I Glory (if anyone is interested, I recently set that text to BEACHSPRING and have pdf available).
    8787 The original text has 5 verses. BEACHSPRING is 8787D (D for Double) and I wrote an additional half-verse to fill it out.
  • Kathy
    Crux Fidelis. Absolutely.

• TCJ
    And I'm partial to Take Up Your Cross, although that's really more about discipleship than about the Triumph of the Cross. -- 8888 (the 1982 has BOURBON, contemp Catholic hymnals have WALY WALY, and older Anglican hymnals use a really excellent tune which name I cannot remember... all are good in different ways)

A few more tunes:

WLP (W&S) has it set to BRESLAU
    Ritual Song and OCP use ERHALT UNS HERR
    WIII has O JESU, MI DULCISSIME

I'm sure I've seen another hymnal that uses yet another tune, but I can't remember which.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BRESLAU -- That's the one I was trying to remember. The 1940 has it, and (I think) so does the The English Hymnal. Excellent tune. Very sturdy.

(Also, no big shock that of the major publishers, WLP would use the classiest choice.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: ERHALT UNS HERR
    http://youtu.be/E_0CHoi1pQI
  • 1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
    Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
    Leave to thy God to order and provide;
    In every change He faithful will remain.
    Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
    Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  • Kathy
    Of course one can't go wrong with Kathleen Pluth's excellent hymn on the subject, Let Us Join in the Feast, found in this very worthwhile collection that costs so little and yet means so much http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_hymns_lit_year.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Kathleen Pluth's excellent hymn

Kathleen Pluth.... excellent hymn

No need to repeat yourself.
    Thanked by 2Kathy E_A_Fulhorst
  • Kathy
    Thank you, Adam, you are very kind. Yes, it is either a redundancy or a tautology. Or both. Or both.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • G
    My old parish balked at new (to them) texts to old tunes, but IIRC they sang their little lungs out on "In the Cross of Christ I Glory" to HYFRYDOL.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    HYFRYDOL?
    weird...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • With a little reordering of verses "In the Cross of X" is an excellent fit for "Herr, du hast mein Fleh'n vernommen", the postcommunio from Schubert's Deutsche Messe.
  • I second the BRESLAU tune.
  • I might use "Forward the Royal Banners Go" set to OLD 100th. The tune is familiar to the congregation I will be playing music for.
  • I found a setting of a text set to the tune GELOBT SEI GOT (cf. Worship III 500) from the Metropolitan Cantor Institute of the Byzantine Eparchy of Pittsburgh.

http://www.metropolitancantorinstitute.org/sheetmusic/hymns/Sept14Hymn.GIF

We used it at the seminary here in Houston as the "opening hymn" (in lieu of the antiphon). It was received well by the House.

-mge
    Thanked by 1Chrism