Jubilate Deo - Editions Available?
  • I managed to find the 1974 Edition of Jubilate Deo online, but I would like to get my hands on the 1987 Edition (and apparently there was a more recent one too). If not, can I at least get a table of contents or index? I am putting together a collection of resources for a parish church to sing chant mass settings as well as some more traditional stuff.
  • chonakchonak
    I have a copy of the 1987 edition, reprinted in 1999 for the Jubilee.

Here are the contents:

1 In nomine... / Amen.
    Dominus vobiscum / Et cum ....
    2 Kyrie from Mass XVI (as before)
    3.Kyrie XVIII
    4 Kyrie, excerpted from the LItany of the Saints
    5 Kyrie, excerpted from the Litany of Loreto
    6 Kyrie XI
    7 Kyrie VIII
    8 Kyrie XVII, c
    9 Kyrie XVIII, B
    10 Gloria VIII
    11 Gloria XV
    12 Gloria X
    13 Post collectam:
    ...per omnia saecula, etc.

14 Post lectionem I:
    Verbum Domini, etc.
    15 Ad Psalmum alleluiaticum [referring to the Graduale Simplex]
    Alleluia, alleluia.
    16 Post lectionem II vel unicum ante evangelium:
    Verbum Domini, etc.
    17 - 23 various Alleluia melodies

Ad evangelium:
    24 Dominus vobiscum, etc.
    Post evangelium:
    Verbum Domini. / Laus tibi, Christe.
    25 (same thing in solemn tone)

26 Credo III
    27 Credo I
    28 Ad orationem universalem: four options.

Ad praefationem:
    A Solemn tone
    B Simple tone

Sanctus
    30 Sanctus XVIII
    31 Sanctus X
    32 Sanctus XVII
    33 Sanctus VIII

34 Acclamatio post consecrationem:
    Mysterium fidei, etc.
    35 Ad doxologiam:
    ... per omnia, etc.

36 Pater noster
    37 Acclamatio post Libera nos:
    ... exspectantes, etc.
    38 Ad pacem

Agnus Dei
    39 XVIII
    40 X
    41 excerpted from Litany of Loreto
    42 from Graduale Romanum, ad lib. II
    43 XVII

Ad benedictionem simplicem:
    44 simple tone
    45 solemn tone
    Ad benedictionem episcopalem:
    46 simple tone
    47 solemn tone
    48 Ad dimittendum populum:
    Ite, missa est, etc.
    49 (Easter blessing)

-----

50 O salutaris
    51 Ecce panis
    52 Adoro devote (Adoro Te Devote; small text changes on v. 1)
    53 Tantum ergo
    54 Ps 116: Laudate
    55 Ubi Caritas
    56 Tu es Petrus
    57 Pro papa (setting of prayer "Oremus pro Pontefice...")
    58 Rorate caeli
    59 Attende, Domine
    60 Parce, Domine (refrain only)
    61 Veni, creator
    62 Alma Redemptoris Mater
    63 Ave, Regina caelorum
    64 Salve, Regina
    65 Sub tuum praesidium
    66 Regina caeli
    67 Ave Maris stella
    68 Magnificat (tone VIII)
    69 Te Deum

Thanked by 1hartleymartin
  • What is the copyright on the 1987 edition? I've transcribed the 1974 edition into Gregorio, would it be possible to send me a scan of the 1987 edition?
  • chonakchonak
    It's a pocket-sized edition, copyright 1999, ISBN 88-209-2697-0. It looks like you can buy a copy here for not too much.
  • I have a very old copy in square notes, but have not experienced that there is a current edition in square notes. Does such exist, and, if so, from whom can it be had? I would like very much to put this in the hands of chant classes.
  • chonakchonak
    It's not listed in the current catalog of Libreria Editrice Vaticana (on-line at paxbook.com), so I assume that the jubilee edition is out of print. LEV tends to let things stay out of print for a long time, so until there's some major initiative from the Holy See in sacred music, the book will probably stay out of print. Hence producing a new digital version may be the most expeditious path.

Actually, I'm not sure that the pocket-sized format (about 4.3" x 6.5") is really a good size for it anyway.

Depending on how much you want your students to spend, it might be good to put the Liber Cantualis in their hands.
  • I am disappointed that they left out Kyrie XII. It seems to be a forgotten gem of Gregorian Chant. The above list is similar to what I planned on putting together.

I basically planned on putting in the 2 or 3 most simple of the Gregorian Chants for each part of the ordinary and then a couple more which were slightly more elaborate but within the grasp of ordinary parish musicians such as the Sanctus XI "Orbis Factor"
  • Gloria X looks good! It will add a bit of variety into the mixture since Gloria VIII is reasonably well-known and Gloria XV is slowly increasing in circulation.
  • Chonak -
    Thanks for the information.
    Actually, I do use the LC for beginning classes, but had thought that JD would be preferable on account of its having been personally commended to all the faithful by Paul VI.
  • I'm also adapting a few other pieces such as the Mass XV Kyrie to make it suitable for a both a 6-fold Kyrie as well as the more elaborate 9-fold variety.

What are the Alleluias and other Gospel Acclamations used in Jubilate Deo? I am looking to provide about 4 Alleluia and 4 other Gospel Acclamations in my little monograph.
  • chonakchonak
    Sorry, I'm in school now and don't have time to transcribe them.
  • bonniebede
    Bumping this to ask a question. Is the 1999 edition of Jubilate Deo, published with chant or modern notation?
  • chonakchonak
    Square notation. It's a rather small booklet, about 4 3/8" x 6 3/8", probably designed for Jubilee pilgrims in Rome.
    480 x 640 - 160K
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    The $64 question is where can we buy it?
  • Copyright permitting, would there be interest if I published on Lulu the 1974 edition I transcribed into Gregorio? I'd be more than happy to produce a 1987 edition if someone sent me scans (again, copyright permitting.)
  • chonakchonak
    The 1974 edition has already been scanned and is available as a PDF. For whatever reason, the people who made it re-made the first two pages, but all the rest is a straightforward copy.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bonniebede
    As chonak says, the 1974 edition, which is quite short to print out, is now easily available.
    What I have been doing is resetting using illuminare's handing little editor page, so that I can clean it up a bit, and separate out the parts for the children's schola. Then I can give them the same piece in English or latin to learn at the same time.
  • That's the PDF I transcribed into Gregorio. One of the reasons I transcribed it was to greatly improve the print quality. I've uploaded the sources here.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • chonakchonak
    The England/Wales liturgy office has made a nice transcription of the Order of Mass from the 1974 booklet:

(booklet)
    http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Music/Jubilate/JD-Mass.pdf

(individual pieces)
    http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Music/Jubilate/

There was also a transcription by some group in Germany, but I have not been able to find it yet.

Adoremus has MP3 demonstration recordings for part of the book here:
    http://www.adoremus.org/JubilateDeo.html

Come to think of it, I have mp3s from a demonstration recording of the 1974 booklet, sung rather slowly:
    http://www.gabrielmass.com/rac/cmaa/jubilate_deo/
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I just got my copy of the Jubilate Deo 1999 edition in.
  • Me too, very useful to have. It is nice that it says it was issued for the Jubilee year - I certainly plan to promote it as long as the horrible polyester vestments that were made for ceremonies in that year are around - and I don't think that material ever rots!
  • Yes, but it is VERY susceptible to things like stray bits of burning incense...
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Hmm, I have some enthusiastic 6 yr olds and the cutest little 4inch thurible, thay have been dying to have a go with it... ;-)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Claire H
    I would love to have a copy of the 1987 edition reprinted in 1999. Does anyone have a digital/PDF scan of it, or a link where it can be ordered?

Are there any versions with text translations provided for the people?
  • a_f_hawkins
    I see copies for $25 in the US, and in Italy for €3.51, which may be irritating. Google is not good at distinguishing this title from everything else of the same name, try a google search on book 9788820926977 There was an edition in the UK, published by CTS in ¿1974? with handwritten chant and translation, but that was their own extended edition of the original, not the typica altera. CTS/D499, though I don't suppose you can find it anywhere.
    [EDIT]additions were Missa Cum Jubilo, Alma Redemptoris, and Sub tuum praesidium.
  • RevAMG
    The 1999 version was republished by the Libreria Editrice Vaticana in 2018 and is available for €4.50 from Vaticanum, with shipping available to the United States (unfortunately €11.50 for a 1kg package).
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • chonakchonak
    libreriauniversitaria.it has it at €5, plus shipping to the US €8.90 .