Divine Office Sunday II Vespers
  • lynnm
    If the NT Canticle used at II Vespers on Sunday during Ordinary Time is sung, is the 'alleluia' refrain sung after the doxology as it is after the verses or does one go directly to the antiphon after the doxology?
  • igneusigneus
    1. Unfortunatelly I don't own a copy of the currently available tome of the new Antiphonale Romanum, which might bring an authoritative answer, so
    2. I suppose you may decide on your own:
    I know several vernacular translations (none of them is English) of the sung office applying different decisions. Some leave the doxology out for this canticle (which is contrary to the rubrics of the breviary);
    some have the doxology without alleluia refrains (but then the doxology usually needs another tone different from the tone of the other verses).
    I prefer the third possibility: to handle the verses of the doxology the same way as the other verses of the canticle, i.e., to sing the alleluia after each half-verse.
  • Kathy
    I know a very solid religious community that sings the alleluias in the doxology as well, fwiw. (I wouldn't know where to consult the rubrics.)
  • RobertRobert
    In the Antiphonale Romanum the Alleluia refrain is sung after (& within) the doxology. There is no antiphon during Ordinary Time in the AR, but for those seasons that do have antiphons, the doxology is sung the same way.
    Thanked by 2igneus Kathy
  • lynnm
    Many thanks for all your help!