Your parish "white lists" for weddings & funerals
  • ryandryand
    I was asked to put together lists for music options at weddings & funerals. There is already a list for weddings, but it is open to revision/additions. My hope is to create, for each, a list which includes a few dignified mass settings, good hymnody (without the sappy/heretical theology in most of the "cliche" selections), and a subtle push towards propers.

Does your parish offer any list to couples/families when selecting the music for these masses? What is included?
    Thanked by 2francis E_A_Fulhorst
  • Kathy
    Funerals: Proper chants, including Requiem Aeternam and Lux Aeterna. In Paradisum. Ave Maria, Panis Angelicus. Hymns: Jerusalem, My Happy Home, I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say, Lord of All Hopefulness, The King of Love My Shepherd Is, Sing With All the Saints in Glory.
    Thanked by 2francis E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kathy: Lord of All Hopefulness?
    I don't want to be rude, but... I thought you had way better taste than that.
    (Or maybe you can enlighten me as to the merit of that text. I'm open minded.)
  • marajoymarajoy
    I don't see anything wrong with LoAH:
    The structure of each verse is basically:
    The Lord has these good attributes (praising him by acknowledging them,) asking him to "be there" with us, and then asking him for that particular good attribute to be with us at a certain time of the day.
    What's wrong with that?
  • CharlesW
    I am a bit more familiar with the Protestant version, "Be Thou My Vision." I have no problems with either version. There are many hymns out there that are worse. Now if you get into the Frankenstein song, "We Are Many Parts," I will take issue with it.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Be Thou My Vision is not the Protestant version of Lord of All Hopefulness.
    They are different texts altogether, often sung to the same tune.
    (And, at any rate- LoAH is low-church Protestant, while BTMV is 6th Century Catholic).
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Aha! Good to know. I have only encountered BTMV in Protestant hymnals. I actually like it better, but don't know if that is a holdover from my days working in Protestant churches.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As for what's wrong with LoAH...
    It's nice. But, I don't know- it seems a but homey.
    When I can't put my finger on exactly what I think is wrong with a hymn, I try to imagine what type of congregation would be most comfortable singing it. For LoAH, I can't help but think of a low-Church vaguely-liturgical Protestant congregation.
    There's nothing directly wrong with it, it just doesn't seem to have a very real high value. (IMveryHO)
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • BenBen
    I can agree with you, Adam. I, too, can't put my finger on why...
  • Kathy
    I think it's beautiful. Yes, it's a lowish theology, insofar as it deals with daily-life-spirituality, or whatever. But the following of Christ is a very old idea, and sanctifying the day is a very very old, very monastic idea.
    Thanked by 2marajoy E_A_Fulhorst
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jan Struther's hymns (from "Songs of Praise", OUP, 1931) are pretty much uniformly Anglican. I don't find them "low-Church vaguely-liturgical Protestant" hymns, including LoAH, but especially "When Stephen, full of power and grace" and "When Mary brought her treasure." Although not Greer Garson, with whom the role is so often identified from the film, Jan Struther is perhaps best known as the author of "Mrs Miniver."
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (According to Wikipedia, anyway...)
    Songs of Praise was intended as a low-Church (or, if you like, Broad Church) answer to the 1906 English Hymnal.

It also included this hymn (also by Struther), which I really wish I had written as a poem, but seems to have no place in any reasonably orthodox liturgical setting:

When a knight won his spurs, in the stories of old,
    He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold
    With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand,
    For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
    Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,
    Though back into storyland giants have fled,
    And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
    'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
    And let me set free with the sword of my youth,
    From the castle of darkness, the power of the truth.

So- in case anyone else thought (like me) that the 1982 has some goofy things in it, apparently there was already Anglican precedent for ridiculous hymns to be included in hymnals. (Although, I do understand that schools used hymnals as educational song-books, so maybe they have a wholly different conception of "Hymnal" in England than we/I do.)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    I like to include resurrection-themed hymns, too. "The Strife is O'er" is always well-sung at funerals.
  • I'm surprised no one has offered "Be still, my soul" (FINLANDIA) as it seems, well, darn near perfect. "In paradisum" is a mandatory, and thankfully my clergy accepted that when proposed. After chanting that and aware of a clearly "not all RC" aggregation, I don't have a problem seque'ng to "Shall we gather at the river", using a Copland-esque accompaniment, particularly if OEW is not requested for that slot. Of the newer generation of sacred song, I'd include J.Sullivan-Whitaker's "In every age" and Br. Zaragoza's "Cross of Love" as worthy for use.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • JL
    Well, if folks don't sing "Abide with Me" at my funeral, I'll have to come back and kick them. For choral pieces, I like "Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen" (German or English) from the Brahms Requiem, though it requires a pretty big ensemble. The Dawson arrangement of "There Is a Balm in Gilead" is not as explicitly liturgical, but still appropriate. As a soloist, I've sung the Faure "Pie Jesu" and Handel's "I know that my Redeemer liveth" (the program listed me as "Soloist--G.F. Handel"!) at some funerals to good effect.

Regarding "Be Thou my Vision" (or, for that matter, LOaH), there's a nice arrangement (now out of print, I think) by Richard Peek for unison choir and soprano (or children's choir) descant with organ. And the triple metre SLANE tune isn't the only possibility--there's a nice unison duple meter tune by Jacques Descroquettes in Marier's Hymns, Songs and Spiritual Canticles (and in the earlier Pius X Hymnal.) I'm rather partial to that one, in part because it tends not to dip below middle C.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In case anyone is interested, I wrote a hymn text that amalgamates the Requiem Propers together with some sentimentality and a well-known doxology (which could be switched out, obviously). I sang it to CONDITOR ALME at the the last funeral I did, and it was very well received.

Eternal Rest grant her, we pray
    and shine the light of endless day.
    Appoint for her a place with those
    who in you died, and in you rose.

Lord Jesus Christ, our Glorious King
    protect her soul from suffering.
    Deliver her from darkness deep,
    and give the angels guard to keep.

Receive our prayer and offering,
    the tears we shed, the songs we sing.
    Accept our sacrifice today
    to aide the soul for whom we pray.

With her, and with us, Lord be near.
    To you we cry, bend down your ear-
    For in your mercy there is light,
    You make the darkness ever bright.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow
    Praise Him, all creatures here below.
    Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host
    Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
  • Liam
    Also in Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles is the wonderful "Spirit Seeking Light and Beauty", the original verses of which are in the public domain, written by Mother Janet Stuart (d. 1914), to the tune Domhnach Trionoide:

Spirit seeking light and beauty,
    Heart that longest for thy rest,
    Soul that asketh understanding,
    Only thus can ye be blest.
    Thro’ the vastness of creation
    Tho’ your restless thought may roam,
    God is all that you can long for,
    God is all his creatures' home.

Taste and see him, feel and hear him,
    Hope and grasp his unseen hand;
    Tho’ the darkness seem to hide him,
    Faith and love can understand.
    God, who lovest all thy creatures,
    All our hearts are known to thee;
    Lead us thro’ the land of shadows
    To thy blest eternity.

To this, Ted Marier inserted a choral middle verse (same tune, different counterpoint - Ted's harmonies for both sections are lovely) with a text from the Meissen Breviary as translated by the ubiquitous JM Neale in the 19th century:

Jesus, we thy name adoring,
    Long to see thee as thou art,
    And thy clemency imploring,
    Hold it closely in our heart.
    That, hereafter, upward soaring,
    We in heav’n may have a part:
    Jesus, we thy name adoring,
    Long to see thee as thou art.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood RPBurke
  • Liam
    In a very different vein, to my mind the best American analog to Abide With Me is one of the greatest American sacred songs ever put to paper: Precious Lord.

Here's an sample of a historical moment: Mahalia Jackson's moving offering (while she was in fact ill) of Precious Lord at the funeral of Dr King in April 1968 (mind you, I prefer this sung chorally, but still, I remember that funeral and Bobby Kennedy's that awful spring of 1968, and it was a much more difficult time than anything we've got going on today):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riu5ZaY2k2A

Thanked by 1RPBurke
  • canadashcanadash
    I don't think "O God Beyond All Praising" has been mentioned yet. This is a favourite here for funerals.
  • Hmm, "Thaxted" would be one hymntune that I would reserve for a particular funeral that, for whatever reason(s), could bear the density of both the melody and text. It's not in my experience a pro forma item found among parish providers. I am impressed it is considered so up in the GWN, tho', CD. But I never program it even on Sundays without a measure of considerable reason.
    Someone on the thread mentioned the Allegri. I think that would be a perfect example of rationalizing (in a good way) the measure of one's association with that setting as an offset of any ostentatious display, even given its pure aesthetic. There, after all, was a reason why it was sequestered for GF at St. Peter's by one pope who recognized its "singularity" as a work that persists to this day.
    Say no more. (To myself)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Thaxted is good - very good.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Of course, CW, I wouldn't think that you'd take my qualification of it otherwise. I meant to put the ribbon on the bow of THAXTED by declaring it my personal favorite hymntune of all time!
    Thanked by 2Ben gregp