What are you doing that you couldn't do last year?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Maybe you've made headway in turning your music program toward more sacred styles or increased the use of Latin. Maybe you think your budding choir is able to take on more challenging pieces. Maybe you've had more time to practice over the summer...

What do you plan to do in Fall/Winter 2012, that you think you will be able to accomplish, that you could not have managed last year (for whatever reason)? That is... what new stuff are you excited about?
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • Kathy
    Polyphony! The adult choir has mastered a number of things and is ready to learn more, and the most advanced youth chanters are learning. Soon, dare I say it, we may be singing polyphony regularly and a cappella.
  • donr
    Propers.. We are doing the communion antiphon and will begin the entrance antiphon in the fall. We have successfully introduced some Latin including Salve Regina, Ave Verum Corpus (Mozart) and others. We have also added a couple of chants.
  • Carl DCarl D
    We're doing much more polyphony this year, and all the propers. I'm so much happier.
    Thanked by 2Mark M. Ruth Lapeyre
  • BenBen
    Propers... I've been singing the missal chants and SEP at daily Mass. A year ago, it wouldn't have happened.
  • hartleymartin
    Leading the Tenor section. Last year I was still learning the feel of where the Tenor voice sits in the ensemble, but now I feel much more confident. It still takes me several goes to learn new pieces properly though. I might be a tenor, but I am still a mere mortal.

My college choir had most of its best members graduate last year, and we're now mostly a crew of fresh beginners who have never sung polyphony before.

The Cathedral Choir I am also a member of (the same man directs my college and the cathedral - and so I serve only one master) did Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli recently, and oh how glorious this piece is!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • After three and a half years building the schola of the choir, I feel they are ready to sing the Gregorian Alleluias on a weekly basis. Chants abreges are servicable and respectable, but nothing compares to the meditave melismas and jubilus of the authentic Alleliuas. I'm so excited to begin these works!

It's a welcome challenge for me as conductor, too.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We're doing our first 8-parter this Sunday, Mendelssohn's Richte mich, Gott with 12 singers.
  • Children's choir has learned Salve Regina and Ave Maria chants. Adult choir, slowly but surely, picking up other change, Jesu Dulcis Memoria, Ave Maria, Adoro Te Devote. OCP almost completely gone in favor of more hymnody. But, all of this came with a sacrifice as we lost several singers and I'm in the process of trying to rebuild the choir.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Teaching the congregation new settings of the Ordinary (Gregorian).

Beginning to use the Gregorian Alleluias, though for the time being, we're mainly using the verses sung to the solemn psalm-tones, but occasionally we can manage the full form - we recieved positive feedback from the congregation on this! This is in the OF, by the way, and the people were introduced to this via a number of EF High Masses that just ended up 'happening' at the parish - the FSSP just keep turning up! This is why Pope Benedict gave us Summorum Pontificum!
  • WJA
    (a) My men's schola sings everything from the Graduale at our monthly EF Mass (we used to use Chants Abreges for the Gradual and Alleluia);

(b) I started a girl's schola!
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • Singing the Communion Antiphon (thank you Richard Rice!). Ignorance is the only reason we haven't done it before--I've gotten (should better say, "started") quite an education since finding this forum.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • Singing the new choral Communion propers each week, graduating from the SCG, also by the great Rice!
  • These are inspiring witnesses: each and every one!
    Tales of dedication, conviction, faith, and valour!
  • I especially like the valour part. And the spelling puts it over the top.
  • CharlesW
    We are greatly indebted to Richard Rice. Using his compositions has really eased the way into propers with no resistance from the choir or congregation.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • I need to check out the Richard Rice settings of the propers.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We're now doing a chanted Introit and Communio at all Choral Masses (by the choir, children's choirs, schola cantorum). This is at a parish that had never done any Gregorian chant in its entire history 4 years ago.
  • jpal
    Using the Vatican II Hymnal!

At one Mass, singing the propers (either Latin or SEP) and the Missa de Angelis. At the other Masses, singing great hymns and Richard Rice's Mass of the Sacred Heart.
  • JennyJenny
    We have been doing the Communion proper every week (usually Rice). It's my understanding that this fall, the music director wants to begin adding the Introit (before the opening hymn, but still...) and possibly the Offertory proper as well. Hoping we'll be mixing in more SEP and learning some new Gregorian Ordinary parts. All unimaginable to me, even two years ago.
  • BruceL
    Bump! God willing, we'll sing the Gregorian offertory at Mass tomorrow. Last year (during Easter) we had to cut it because of too much fear of the notation (the choir here had done little in Gregorian notation before 1/2013). We made it all the way through the first time in rehearsal on Wednesday. It was a very happy moment for me: I'm so glad the choir here has "taken the bait" and made good to learn the repertoire of the Church!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • Good news! Congrats, Bruce!
    I don't have my OF resources in front if me, so I'm not sure- is the OF Offertory for tomorrow the same as the EF- Jubilate Deo?
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • BenBen
    Directing my EF schola in gregorian propers almost every week
    Playing simple pieces and improvising on the organ occasionally at Mass
  • I mention this since I'll need some extra prayers:
    the parish will be conducting two sessions of Chant Camp due to increased demand. Last year we had 84 young campers without doing any advertising, 64 of whom were in our smallish loft. After realizing I couldn't even see them all to direct them, I agreed we needed two sessions.
    Should be fun times, but crazy!

The other big new thing is our main schola is learning Graduals and Tracts this year. I am loving the mode V melodies.
    Thanked by 3donr CHGiffen Ben
  • BruceL
    MaryAnn: indeed! I can never remember if it's different in the OF or EF during Easter (I think Jubilate Deo is Easter V in the new Mass?): last year we were just doing fairly syllabic stuff, this year more melismatic introits and communions, along with the occasional offertory like this.

We do things in a very general way since this is like a 25-30 "faux schola", but we do split up Jubilate Deo into ladies/men/all, which seems to work well and help prevent "tunnel vision" with such a large group. Men's Schola is going and Ladies will begin this year, but it's little-by-little. We'll do more chironomy, etc., with the smaller groups, including a new children's schola.
  • Personally, I'm doing much better with my sight-reading and I'm better able to pick up new hymns than I used to be. I'm also doing better interlude improvisations and playing chant accompaniments which I wasn't really doing before.
  • Singing the propers (in English) and remembering them like
    old favorites.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    Well since this thread started in September and it was "last year" I guess I can respond even though it has been a year since I responded last. Purple

We are doing the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion Antiphons from the Lumen Christi Missal.
    We are learning more Polyphony but it's still a little difficult for the choir, so I have to stick with easy stuff.

This Lent we will sing more a Capella.
  • donr
    Wow I guess next time I'll have look at the year. It's been over a year. My last post was in Aug 2012.
  • mahrt
    It is so encouraging to see the progress people are making. There is something wonderful about progress in liturgical music--everything repeats in a year; you learn one piece and it comes back to be sung with greater familiarity, comprehension, and enjoyment. My choir has a long tradition of singing all the Gregorian propers, and when new singers come in, it is quite daunting. They follow along obediently for the year, and then a couple of weeks into the year after they came in, they say "Eureka! This is where I came in," and are overwhelmed by the memory of the extent and greatness of the repertory, and overjoyed by the familiarity of the chants they had sung a year ago.

My choir has been an entirely volunteer choir; this year we have added a paid singer on each part, with substantial improvement in the sound.
  • We have started a schola this year and sang a few antiphons for All Saints', Christmas, and upcoming for Candlemas. In addition they will be taking on the propers during Lent.

The TC (traditional choir) is planning on singing Chesnokov's Salvation is Created and (hopefully) Gounod's Ave Verum and Durufle's Ubi Caritas a cappella. This will be their first time singing full motets a cappella.
  • Jani
    Chanting Salve Regina for a funeral with three priests today, on 16 hours notice, after learning the piece over night. Went off without a hitch.

Woo hoo!
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    as long as we are responding to very old posts: i'm rethinking harmonizing 2-4 with a dominant seventh: I no longer think it's a good idea, tho it's everywhere. I'm also gearing up for an all-out attack on NPR for their abuse of sound, and ignorance of music.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Have fun stormin' the castle.
    Thanked by 2mrcopper irishtenor
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Have fun stormin' the castle.

or the windmill
    Thanked by 2Spriggo CHGiffen
  • New parish for me so starting small. Found out 2 days ago that the parish's organ which no one plays works beautifully so I'm off to learn the organ after a 13 year sabbatical from piano due to carpal tunnel. Praying that by Easter we may be able to assemble a small choir for 1-2 Masses but at least that gorgeous organ will herald Christ's triumph over death!
  • donr
    Sounds good prplhrtwife, good luck in your efforts.