Seeking Advice From the Rubrics Police
  • expeditus1
    Sometimes the expertise of the rubrics police is exactly what I am looking for. What are the rubrics regarding the singing of a solemn-tone Te Deum in the EF? Are there Feast Days or occasions when it is forbidden? I seem to remember that it was not permitted for the Feast of the Holy Innocents. Appropriate for the Feast of Christ the King? Is it ever sung during Communion, or is it reserved expressly for before and after Mass?
  • EDIT: Nevermind.
  • If you're talking about a Low Mass, you could probably do it at any time. In a High Mass, I believe the only time it would be appropriate during Mass would be at the consecration of a bishop. It is appropriate, of course, in the Divine Office.

I'm treading into a place where my knowledge is limited, so someone please feel free to correct me.
  • Expeditus,

1) It wouldn't be sung as part of the Mass, that is, from the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar until the Final Gospel.

2) I would imagine it is forbidden from Septuagesima forward, until Easter.

Cheers,

Chris
  • Chrism
    I assume you're asking about a votive Te Deum sung in thanksgiving for some favor from God, like for example a victory (or defeat) in battle. As far as I know, it can be sung any time of the year, even during the Sacred Triduum. I've never tried to sing it at Mass except after Mass, because it is long and the collect at the end seems a bit odd for use during Mass. But we have sung it after Mass many times.
  • expeditus1
    I sure appreciate the feedback, all. As I try to reconstruct the wheel with my dim-sighted vision, I'd sure rather get the feedback at the front end, than the back end. Anybody else ever had that experience of someone coming up to the organ bench afterward, with book in hand, to make some comment that begins along the lines of, "It is not allowed that....."?

Chrism, is the Collect at the end of the Te Deum always to be included?
  • Chrism
    Beware the advice of any man carrying only one book.

The Collect (p. 2083 in the online Liber) is optional but nifty, especially when the priest remains in the sanctuary to lead it.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • The Votive Te Deum, or Solemn Te Deum, which Chrism mentions is a quite licit mini-office which can be said (which means 'sung') at any time. It is most appropriate just after mass in thanksgiving for some great favour. We sing them periodically in the Anglican Use when there is something really noteworthy to give thanks for, such as the ordinariate, church anniversaries, patronal feasts, and other great events. The Te Deum is followed by about a dozen versicles and responses, and ends with a collect of generous proportions. We have, at times, even sung a Te Deum in thanksgiving for the new-born. During the singing of the Te Deum itself, the thurifer(s) go before the altar and swing their thuribles until it is over. It is especially good if they swing them in full circles.
  • BenBen
    That awesome thurifer action in the sanctuary is reason enough to sing the te deum for me! :D