easy SAB polyphonic Mass setting
  • Michael Haller “Missa secunda”: http://wso.williams.edu/cpdl/sheet/hall-mes.pdf

It’s definitely a 19th-century attempt at the “Palestrina style”, but for choirs that don’t have the guns for larger-textured Mass settings, I think this is a very good setting to use at least as a starting point.

I actually like much of what (very little) I have seen of Haller’s music. I am starting to take notice of the number of composers we have had whose music is less challenging but still quite good; Anerio and Aichinger come to mind especially.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Croce too!
  • gregpgregp
    I found this thread in searching the threads for easy SAB Mass settings. I found the Haller on CPDL, but all I find for Anerio, Aichinger, and Croce are Masses for 4 or more parts. We really can't split our 3 men up that way, so does anyone have any suggestions? We're currently learning the Byrd, which will take several more months, but I'm trying to think ahead and have something ready to start next summer.
  • Uh oh, modern composer alert!
    Rev. John Schiavone
    Mass of the Holy Family
    OCP (out of print) call for reprint perm.
    Worth it.
  • rich_enough
    Other Renaissance composers (or those who wrote in that style) who tended to write simpler / easier polyphony:

Mateo Asola
    G. A. Bernabei
    Claudio Casciolini
    Andrea Gabrieli (brother of the more famous Giovanni)
    Jacob Handl (also know as Gallus)
    Marc Antonio Ignegneri
    Luca Marenzio
    G. M. Nanini
    G. O. Pitoni
    Francesco Soriano
    Orazio Vecchi
    Ludovico Viadana

Sam Schmitt
  • don roy
    hey felipe
    hope you are doing well. I've written an easy 4 part latin mass setting in renaissance style some people at the 2008 colloquium liked. it could be easily arranged for 3 part. i'd be glad to send you a copy.
  • rich_enough
    SAT mass by contemporary composer in Renaissance style:

http://music.dalitio.de/choir/dalitz/missa-salve-regina/missa_salve_regina.pdf

Sam Schmitt
  • hey don...id like a copy of it if you wouldnt mind! I'd need a three part version though. If possible SAB...I can swing SAT sometimes but usually I'm a B lol...

m_kramer_2004@yahoo.com
  • Mr. Z
    Call me cynical, but Charles in Cen. CA, I can't get beyond the thought that the piece, "God's Holy Family," formerly included in OCP hymnals and song handouts, and with it the "Mass of the Holy Family," disappeared because as the "Entrance Hymn" for the Mass, and maybe the most popular of the collection, it had as its first line "Father God, bless this family...," innocuous enough except for those who bend backwards to avoid any masculine reference to God, save the "Our Father" which almost everyone's tradition will not exclude. So, in the year - say about 1996 or so, this thing just headed into OCP obscurity, and I believe it was quite popular, at least it was at the large church I was playing for at the time.

I find Fr. Schiavone to be an interesting composer, well crafted, who says he bases his melodies on chant. He is an unbelievably good tenor as well. He sings Nessun Dorma like Pavarotti.