SATB Choral Version --- St Ralph Sherwin "Glory to God" (Sherwin Gloria)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Vimeo Video (highest quality)
    YouTube (Version 2)
    BlipTV (low quality)
    GloriaTV (low quality)
    YouTube (Version 1)

---

Download the complete Organist and SATB scores:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/Mass/

Practice files included !!!

Simple SATB Setting of the "Glory To God" using the new Mass Translation, Third Edition Roman Missal, 3rd Edition Roman Missal, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will.

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD4mC5O0kk
    Thanked by 3Ben ryand E_A_Fulhorst
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Wow!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Oh, JMO, that is splendiforously glorious!
    I just held a plenum of our four parish music leadership just last evening. Among the topics was the permission to move onto new Mass settings after the one year exposure to the MR3 in our consensus Mass settings decided last Summer. I mentioned how the main parish Schola would likely move from Royce Nickel's ST THERESE to ST. RALPH SHERWIN, so we have kismet with this SATB bonus! Our other little garage schola's been using the Glory during the last year which they are happy to continue employing. You still da Man.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • I am as stupefied as Charles! This is AMAZINGLY beautiful.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thank you so much for these encouraging comments.

Hopefully within a few months I can also provide a "live" version with organ accompaniment, since this SATB can also be sung with organ. Everything depends on the choir/organist/acoustic, etc.
  • Paul, anyone will tell you, anyone being an Inuit in Nome, most of CMAA, a Laplander or a Sufi, that it is an impossibility to actually be "as stupefied as Charles." Make a note!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Noted!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    will the rest of the Mass get the amazing SATB treatment?
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Adam, I would like nothing more — and I want to do my other chant Masses as well. However, I am not sure when these will all be finished.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    My wife and I concur--wonderful work, JMO! Maybe St. Anne Line could be next? *hoping!*
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • BTW, JMO- you got the Wendy Seal of Approval once she got home, she whom you thought so enchanting to include in the 09 video!
    I should trademark that, the WSA! And, for the record I humbly echo Adam's query.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • BenBen
    WOW. This is amazing.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Kudos again on this, Jeffrey!

So, I hear that the melody is in the soprano line. Do you think it will be as effective, overall, if the entire congregation (men and women) is singing along on that same melody? Or would the SATB setting be better left for a situation where the congregation isn't singing (i.e., "active participation" by listening and praying)? Just curious!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • kevinfkevinf
    Very nice Jeff, as always. It has a very beautiful quality about it. Your work makes a difference to those of us in the "trenches".
  • Great question, MarkM, I'm pondering that as well as I plan to introduce it. When we did the similarly composed Nickel Mass of S. T. of Liseaux, we've deployed it in unison about 90% of this last year. That will likely be the starting program with JMO's setting of the Glory, but I may "sneak" a male voice singing the soprano into the mix when we go SATB. And I'm pretty sure that's why JMO had his solo version of the chant to immediately follow Matt Curtis' SATB on the video, as a prompt to aid congregational acquisition.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Most impressive. This Sunday I am scheduled to play the organ part of this Mass setting's Sanctus and Agnus Dei at the church of St. Patrick's, Mentone (a Melbourne suburb). It'll be the unison version, though.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I am so honored by all these supportive comments.

I am also particularly interested in hearing the myriad performance possibilities.

Thanks again !
  • CharlesW
    I just looked at it. Much to my great surprise, I liked it and the score download I looked at isn't written in neumes. This has possibilities.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • TCJ
    Now can we have it in SSSA? :D That's what I have to work with!

I'd try it if I could get a bass and a tenor.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The NLM com box tends to be very critical.

Maybe some of you could put a few nice comments in here?

If you cannot, I fully understand.
  • The one comment that I encountered, JMO, was a left-field compliment. One doesn't know how to respond to requests that are premised upon what one doesn't know how to teach, versus the achievable alternative.
    Perhaps JT's endorsement at NLM alone will suffice. Otherwise, I've never gotten any impression that the ethos at NLM is tolerant of anything that strays too far from Vaticana.
    Criminey sakes, man, you've (with the presumptive help of the Sancte Spritus ,Mother of Invention) tapped into the mother lode of new and glistening composition. Rejoice and be glad.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Charles,

You're right: I shouldn't generalize.

I was only mentioning some things I have noticed in the past, and NOT only regarding CCW stuff.

Perhaps they are now moderating some of the more heavy-handed "nit-pickers"

;-)
  • TCJ
    I went and looked when you first posted and I was wondering if something was wrong with me because I didn't see any comments at the time...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    NLM? Critical?

So hard to believe. Next you're going to tell me they have a mildly creepy attraction to Baroque vestments.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also- I posted a nice comment.
    Love your work.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In particular, I have posted there, with reference to a serious article.

I linked to the article.

I assumed people would READ the article — as a matter of fact, many people who commented in the com box DID NOT take the trouble to read the article.

This was a learning experience for me about how these things work.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If it makes you feel better, a lot of times people actually reading things doesn't help either.

I have written articles on my blog wherein I defend the use of pop-folk music in liturgy, and then gotten comments telling me how wrong I am about pop-folk music being inappropriate and that it's perfectly fine to sing. I have also written articles explaining why I think that traditional sacred music, especially Gregorian chant, is the most suitable music for liturgy, and received comments telling me how wrong I was and that really the most suitable music was, in fact, Gregorian chant and traditional sacred music.

Or, in the words of Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day: "People like blood sausage too. People are morons."
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • this is a really wonderful arrangement, JMO