Teaching Chant - advice
  • donr
    I can read chant notation. I have reviewed most if not all of the documents concerning how to sing chant. I have listened to many videos on Youtube and listen to the propers for the SEP on CCWatershed. So I am fairly confidant in my ability to sing chant.
    When I lived in CA I attended a Chant Schola and sang at a Latin Mass. It was an awesome experience.

I have been singing the Communion Antiphon at church on Sunday. But now its time to seek individuals from the parish who might want to sing with me (members of the choir, or congregation).

Our all volunteer music ministry leans more liberal than I like. I have the support of the pastor in singing the antiphons.

I would like opinions on the best path forward. Should I try to teach chant notation myself or should I try to get outside help. I am not afraid to teach, I just want to make sure I do not teach it wrong.

I guess the reason for the lack of "just getr done" is that I hear the same notation sung differently in sources listed above. I just don't want to do it wrong.

Thoughts please.
  • canadashcanadash
    If you have the resources to get outside help who know what they are doing, I say, "Go for it!"

If you do not, I say, "Just getr done".

I don't know what I am doing, but I do it the best I can. I've only been to a few classes with "professionals" and it seems that no one does it exactly the same way.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Don,
    True story: Bought choir set of Parish Book of Chant for a great-reading choir. Wrong move.
    Bought choir set of Simple English Propers, a third less light of neumes but just as filling. One Sunday, out of sheer necessity, had to use them on the fly. Gave the short spiel on where "do" was ("Doh!"-Homer Simpson), neutral syllabled through the antiphon couple of times. Been using SEP every Sunday, Feast Day since. Added bonus- since our organist is possessed of perfect pitch and a great improviser, square notes made his life a lot easier since as well.

Other strategy: Go over to our "Loyal Opposition" Pray Tell Blog, and look for Fr. Anthony Ruff's new chantbook collection, don't recall title, but it has a useful format for those who are allergic to four lines/square notes. He has the traditional notation on the left facing page, and the traditional 5 line oval note version on the right (with either Laon/Gall squiggles above) as well. That covers the waterfront. Ruff also did a post of an interview webcast which could provide you with practical insights as to implementation.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • donr
    thanks Charles I will look up Fr. Ruff's work.
  • I will let the pros offer their two cents, but as a near lifelong teacher, I will encourage you to remember what someone told me before my first Sunday School class--remember, you know more than they do. And tehy WANT to learn what you are teaching.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 2donr Jenny
  • Kenneth, ?