Glorious Machaut Mass in an old Cicstercian Abbey in Provence
  • SalieriSalieri
    Its always nice when polyphonic masses are presented in a context of plainchant as in the liturgy. That was one of the nicest epistles I've heard sung. And a Mediaeval variant of the Tonus Solemnior preface, too.
  • My Latin and musicology aren't strong enough to appreciate exactly WHAT was going on, but I liked the fact that it was a presentation of a whole Mass--the whole thing hangs together quite well, and is a model of presentation, I think.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Goodness- why not just have a Mass.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    I love how it is presented as a complete Mass. Puts everything in it's right context. Propers, ordinary, the works. Absolutely glorious.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Interesting question, particularly having the priest's parts done by an actor. However, it's not in a Mass, so it's fine. The problem then is that you would have to get a dispensation to do the Liturgy of the Word, the Credo, and the Sanctus in Latin and without participation by the faithful. So it's what I think Ben pointed out accurately that it puts everything in the right context. It makes more musical sense to me, than just a wonderful Mass setting--the whole thing was conceived along those lines.

On top of that, I just think the whole concert was beautiful.
  • Goodness- why not just have a Mass.

I suppose because the point was to have a musical performance, and it would be disrespectful to put the Holy Mass in service of the music rather than vice versa.
  • I also have to wonder how often a Mass sounded like that--perhaps some Cathedral or monastery where a priest with a good voice really put the whole thing across. But I suspect it was more hit or miss than this, which is all hit.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The problem then is that you would have to get a dispensation to do the Liturgy of the Word, the Credo, and the Sanctus in Latin and without the participation by the faithful.

Not True. And apart from which, this music would be best placed in the liturgical context which most mirrors that of Machaut's time which would be the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, not the Ordinary Form. But that, as Mark says, would put the liturgy at the service of the music. But, 'twould be grand for this music to again fulfill its purpose in the liturgy of the Church, too.
  • lautzef
    Come to Immaculate Conception in Cleveland. We have not sung the Machaut 'Messe de Notre Dame,' but we have sung others such as Busnoys L'homme arme, the Missa Tornacensis, Faugues Je suis dans la mer, the Barcelona and Toulouse Masses, mass parts by Binchois, and others from the transitional period between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, as masses on regular Sundays or holy days.

They all need to be tweaked - in general, the Sanctus is far too long to fit in the TLM; the Credos are without exception too long so we sing a chant Credo; and other parts may have to be done alternatim so that the choir and music are not keeping the celebrant waiting or making themselves the center of attention. Musicologists would have a fit at someone messing with the beautiful music, but in being used for what it was really intended for, it comes back to life beautifully, and (if the operation is done very carefully) a few adjustments are a small price to pay for that. Besides, the whole idea of improvisation and variation on composed music was much more alive in those centuries than in the Romantic and subsequent eras, when the composer was venerated as some sort of hallowed being whose smallest indication had to be followed to the letter. The idea that the music is the handmaiden of the liturgy necessitates changing things in places, but then the congruence of the liturgy and the music is even more effective.

Sorry for the digression, but what I meant to convey was that the music of the Middle Ages and Renaissance is again being used for the original intention and not just for concerts - and we are glad to be participating in bringing it back to its home.
  • That is great to hear, and you are right that improvisation was normal. In fact, I read a review of a book on vocal practice, which pointed out two things: before recorded sound, all we have are complaints from retired singers looking back to when they were perfect, and, two, we have recordings by Verdi's preferred conductor of his own stuff, and the conductor changed the score noticeably.

About the Liturgy of the Word in the EF, I thought that in all forms that had to be in English, or at least is preferred that way. (The EF can be in English, after all, if I understand it.) But you are right about Machaut's time and if your bishop would say it was OK.

Larger point, I think we are all agreed, is that a historically accurate version would end up becoming a performance, Mass at service of music, and not the right way, which is what happens in Cleveland, apparently, with the necessary tweaks.
  • lautzef
    Scholars greater than I can correct me, but the EF doesn't exist in English. The most we ever get in the vernacular are the Epistle and Gospel read in English (after the Latin), and the homily in English. I even remember the occasional sermon at St. Philomena in Latin - the congregation there was more erudite than at present (fewer people and a lot of university professors) - but those were N.O. Latin masses (it was before the indult).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah, I was super confused by amindthatsuits' comment to that effect as well.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Actually, in the OF the Liturgy of the Word, including the Readings, Gradual and Alleluia, and the Credo can be sung in Latin without the bishop's permission. You don't need the bishop's permission to do what the Liturgical books tell you to do. Don't forget that the normative form of the OF is in Latin, ad orientem with the choir singing the propers from the Graduale Romanum or in Polyphony; and possibly the ordinary sung by the Choir in Polyphony as well. The use of the vernacular and the position of the priest versus populum are only an option.

Also if a bishop requires permission for the EF to be used in his diocese, after the promulgation of Summorum Pontificum and Universae Ecclesiae he is not thinking with the mind of the Church, which freely allows every Latin Rite priest to use the EF if he so chooses.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Thanks for posting this, as this morning I had an entrance exam, and one of the questions was about Machaut!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that the "normative" form of the OF is "ad orientem." I even think there is some evidence to suggest exactly the opposite.
    Thanked by 3Paul F. Ford Ben Gavin
  • Scholars greater than I can correct me, but the EF doesn't exist in English. The most we ever get in the vernacular are the Epistle and Gospel read in English (after the Latin), and the homily in English.

Article 6 of Summorum Pontificum allows for the readings to be given exclusively in the vernacular without need for repetition. Other than that and the sermon, yes, the EF must be all in Latin. Well, and the hymns at low Mass, of course.

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that the "normative" form of the OF is "ad orientem." I even think there is some evidence to suggest exactly the opposite.

This is true, but zome bloggerz have zpread a myth to the contrary. The reality is that the rubrics studiously make no assumptions about which way the priest will be facing. They simply specify that there are some things that must be done facing the people, and say nothing about the rest; nor do they tell the priest to turn (implying that he must have been facing the other way) or anything like that. And I would also disagree that the "normative form" of the OF could include, among other things, the Gradual. It is quite clear from the books that the assigned Responsorial Psalm is, and was intended to be, the normative option, while the Gradual holds only the status of a permissible substitution. I think I said that once before on this forum and two or three other members nearly died of apoplexy, but there it is.
  • I keep forgetting to say it's Kenneth. There's a discussion of the 1965 translation on another thread, and a discussion of it on another website. That's what I meant.

Kenneth
  • I would have to agree, at least in substance, with MT. It should be clear to those of both persuasions that the OF does not, in fact, presume one orientation or the other. Therefore, both are wrong in asserting that one or the other is 'correct' or is a 'faithful' expression of the intent of the council. I rather doubt that the council fathers even THOUGHT of orientation other than what was normative to them at the time. This would make the entire debate somewhat artificial. The zealous posturing over one orientation or another is not at all in accord with liturgical history. Standing to be corrected, I believe the ancient 'orientation' was liturgical east (and liturgical east was nearly always real east), and architecture relflected this. It seems another regrettable loss of cultural symbolism that we have lost this emphasis. While I, like many here, grew up with the eastern orientation (which remains standard in the Anglican Use) and am very comfortable with it, I do not have adverse sentiments about so-called ad populum situations, in which I am equally comfortable (even though those who are rabid about it seem to have a highly debatable over-emphasis on the community as opposed to the All Holy).

Gavin: what was the question, and what was your answer?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Now, everyone is filling in details that I was hazy about. And, yes, of course, whatever the ritual books say is automatically licit. I had thought, however, that even with the indult, the preference is for the Liturgy of the Word to be in the vernacular. I may have misunderstood, and sounds like some more documents for me to digest.

There have been a couple of Mass settings unearthed from that 1965-1970 period. I do believe the plainchant Gloria that they use at the Shrine comes from that era, but I would have to look it up.
  • Is that what you were asking about? Well, the various mid-60's transitional stages of the Mass were all abrogated when the Novus Ordo Missae was issued, and the subsequent indults and legislation permitting the continued use of the Tridentine form have been predicated on the use of the 1962 books. Anything from 1965 is therefore a dead letter.
  • See? Open my mouth...on the other hand, that's not what others are saying. There isn't much interest in it in any case, but I thought the Word was to be in Englush no matter what. Have to go look it up.
  • Reread the Indult. We say the mass according to the Roman missal , but we say it in English. I assume the 1962 missiles says nothing about language, because language is just assumed. Now I have to go ask that other discussion group what they were talking about. NEW tHR EAD!
  • "Reread the Indult" -- er, was that first person past tense, or second person imperative?

"We say the mass according to the Roman missal , but we say it in English." If you are really talking about the Extraordinary Form (Tridentine Mass) (i.e., with prayers at the foot of the altar, Last Gospel, only one Eucharistic prayer, etc.), then you are definitely doing it wrong.

"I assume the 1962 missiles says nothing about language, because language is just assumed." It's not really either one. They say, "here are the words to be said," and those words happen to be given in Latin.
  • Protasius
    The 1962 missal is only published in latin as an official edition, other languages only exist as handmissals for the people (with the exception of the Church Slavonic variant, which may be used liturgically in Croatia). Epistle and Gospel may be read in the vernacular only, if a Low Mass is celebrated; [i]Universae ecclesiae[/i] tells you exactly, that in High Mass it is to be sung in Latin first.
  • Ah, well I have asked these other people what they are talking about. I mean the NO is in English. Reread in past tense--unless I am in this kind of situation, it's not a document I reread regularly. Veritatis Splendor, Evangelium Vitae, yes. This one, no.
  • I misunderstood something so NEVERMIND. I still didn't know that you could do the Liturgy of the Word in Latin. What about the choir doing the Credo and Sanctus---I thought even the EF had to have "active participation.' Anyone can do the Missa de Angelis, of course, so it would be in Latin. Also, since this started with the Machaut, what feast and texts are they using. I mean the Liturgical parts--the readings and prayers. My Latin is not that good.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kenneth:

The Roman Catholic Mass, and the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office) is in Latin.

It is sometimes in something other than Latin.
    It never HAS to be something else, and in some cases (the EF) it cannot be anything else.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • AW - what a masterpiece of succinctity!
  • Protasius
    The Propers around the Machaut mass are from the feast of the Assumption of Mary.
  • SalieriSalieri
    And the cantus firmus (pre-existing melodic material of the tenor part) of the Mass itself, is one of the gregorian Masses for feasts of Our Lady, I believe Mass IX, 'cum jubilo'; thus the title 'Messe de Notre Dame' - 'Mass of Our Lady'.
  • Thanks for the references. I assumed of course it was A Mass for Our Lady, but it is not like there are a few settings for those.

As for the "in Latin," of course, there is One Mass, and it is in Latin. I personally would prefer that every Cathedral have a Latin NO in a prominent position on Sunday and that every parish have a High Mass every Sunday with what I call "the communal chants." The basic chants. Joseph Ratzinger has expressed a desire that all children by formed in those chants because of the commonness of international Masses these days. That is quibbling over what I meant. But of course, that NEVER happens on this list.

However, Joseph Ratzinger is emphatic that in normal practice, the Liturgy of the Word HAS TO BE in the vernacular. To contradict your model of succinctness, he means it HAS TO BE in the vernacular. You can argue with him.

In rereading the indult, he emphasized that a public EF must be with a "stable group," that is, a group well formed enough to understand what it is going on. While I have been blessed by the one licit EF that I have been to, I was a little lost. (I hastily added "the one" because I was thinking I had been to a few but in fact I went with a young friend who had been sucked in SPPX out of pastoral concern. I found it weird, and his uncle couldn't stand it. It's a prominent Irish family in the Jesuit circles in our town, and, while he could not be more Latin loving and pre-conciliar in his tastes, he found it badly done.)
  • I should say I assumed it was a Mass for Our Lady because my French is quite good. What I meant was that I assumed it was from the wide choice of established Masses for Our Lady, not something unique, and so easily identified in that portion of the performance, which I guess it is. I listened to it several times and began picking out phrases from the propers when I was listening actively.