Song during Communion/post-communion
  • During the discussions of the GIRM in the run-up to the new translation last summer, it was pointed out--frequently--that the GIRM sure reads like the choir should sing WHILE people are receiving communion, and the congregational song should come AFTER. It was pointed out that this makes sense, as a lot of people are nowhere near their hymnals while standing in line.

Has any parish started following that? At the National Shrine, despite "ever more" carefulness concerning the Mass---because the word that attaches to the Rector's name, automatically, from everyone's lips, is "properly"--on that point they still follow the "congregation, then choir" model.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • I don't read the GIRM the way you do. §86 is primary for interpreting §§87 and 88. The purpose of the communion chant is "to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, . . . and to bring out more clearly the 'communitarian' character of the procession to receive the Eucharist." §86 assumes song by the congregation.

When, however, the option is chosen to sing "the antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum, as set to music there," then unless you're at the CMAA Colloquium, the choir sings these by themselves.

86. While the Priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion Chant is begun, its purpose being to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, to show gladness of heart, and to bring out more clearly the “communitarian” character of the procession to receive the Eucharist. The singing is prolonged for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. However, if there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion Chant should be ended in a timely manner.

Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.

87. In the Dioceses of the United States of America, there are four options for singing at Communion: (1) the antiphon from the Missal or the antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum, as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the antiphon with Psalm from the Graduale Simplex of the liturgical time; (3) a chant from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including Psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) some other suitable liturgical chant (cf. no. 86) approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or a cantor with the people. However, if there is no singing, the antiphon given in the Missal may be recited either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a reader; otherwise, it is recited by the Priest himself after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful.

88. When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation.
  • DougS
    I think the question is more about why many churches feature a choir-only piece after Communion, as opposed to the congregational hymn of praise indicated in §88. I have often wondered this myself.
  • Because it's "special music" and choir directors fail to understand liturgy.
  • During the discussions of the GIRM in the run-up to the new translation last summer, it was pointed out--frequently--that the GIRM sure reads like the choir should sing WHILE people are receiving communion, and the congregational song should come AFTER.

This is correct.
  • hartleymartin
    Well, it certainly makes sense to do so. The choir sings the chant whilst the organist and a couple of singers recieve communion. When the chant finishes (and the organist has returned) a communion hymn with a couple of singers to lead the congregation is sung whilst the choir goes down to recieve communion. This would work well in most Parish churches. Not so well in small college chapels with only about 40 people at mass on most regular days.
  • donr
    I sing the Communion Antiphon from the missal whilst the choir and organist receive communion. When they come back, they sing a communion hymn and I go forward. I am usually last in line so when I come back we wrap up the communion hymn, then do a meditation hymn. This week we are doing Tantum Ergo A 'Capella page 708 in the V2 hymnal. I really like the harmonization from volume III (SATB Hymns).