Books explaining Sacred Polyphony
  • Here, I haven't looked in a week, and someone asked very nearly the question that I asked. I have at CUA, of course, an embarrassment of riches if I know what to look for, but that is the question. So I am going to ask this in the most naive way that I can, on the assumption that someone who knows LESS than I do.

If I wanted to know what Sacred Polyphony IS exactly, what books would help me understand? I mean, why do the 16th Century choral pieces sound so DIFFERENT from what we are used to in choral writing?

I will ask Lurkers Waiting to Pounce to move on to another question. Helpful answers only, please.

Kenneth
  • canadashcanadash
    Perhaps you may want to read this: http://musicasacra.com/sacred/ as a good place to start.

• Different question, but that helps me reformulate it. I am steeped in the whole theology/legislation thing--that was a set of basic questions that I asked during the run-up to the new translation. What I mean is, the MUSIC. Somebody yesterday responded to that wonderful Fayrfax Mass setting the JAT posted on Chant Cafe and talked about how modally pure it was with only three Picardy Thirds that he heard--that kind of thing. What makes the music SOUND different?

The books on composition question helped, but what about for a musician who is basically trained but is diving into it?

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Fayrfax sounds different from Palestrina. Both of these sound different from Josquin des Prez, These three sound different from Byrd. These four sound different from Guerrero. These five sound different from Victoria. These six sound different from Mouton. These six sound different from Parsons. These seven sound different from Michael Praetorius. These eight sound different from Obrecht. These nine sound different from Allegri. These ten sound different from Morales. These eleven sound different from Clemens non Papa.

These twelve sound different from most other Renaissance polyphonists.

And we haven't even got to the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, neo-Classical, 20th-century, and modern polyphonists yet. And, trust me, there is some remarkable modern modern sacred polyphony in existence and still being composed.

And they all sound different!

Even an individual composer's different works sound different!

Are you only interested in an explanation of 16th century Renaissance polyphony? From all the different "schools" of polyphony of that era?

And is the explanation to be in lay terms or in musical terms (that is, terms which a musician might understand)?
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Kenneth--

I just finished two semesters of music history, so here's how I'd sum it up, with a broad generalization:

Renaissance polyphony was characterized by:
    • multiple voices with independent melodies
    • independent setting of text to the melodies
    • harmony based on the eight church modes
    • compositional rules ("counterpoint" rules) about what intervals were allowed to occur between the voices (vertically) and within each melody line; the style of "panconsonance", exemplified by the works of Josquin des Pres, only allows dissonant intervals as ornaments

All that changed. Renaissance polyphony differs from most music composed after 1700 or so, because several compositional conventions changed:
    1. composers moved away from harmony that used the eight church modes and settled on "diatonic" harmony with two predominant modes, major and minor;
    2. the principal melody line was moved from the tenor voice to the soprano voice;
    3. the other voices were demoted in importance and independence, and became accompaniment for the principal melody, in an approach called "monody";
    4. counterpoint rules were relaxed to allow intervals previously considered too dissonant.

• Kathy
    As with most musical questions, the most important aspect of the answer is this: Spotify.
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • Oh, I am doing that...my history books, my online streaming, my university resources. But I am thinking of the complete tyro who wanders into this forum, and Jeff T. encourages them to do.

First, the question of classification. It is true that Byrd sounds different than (or as the English would have it, from) Tallis, let alone Josquin from Ockeghem (whose name is spelled so many ways as to put to rest any concern about Shakespeare's paltry 4.) If we don't even know how to spell the guy's name, how do we tell them apart? Well, how, when we are travelling, do we instantaneously know from a distance it is a group of Americans and not Germans making too much noise, but only when we talk to them do we know what region they are from? The Greeks struggled with the same concept: The Attics hated the Ionians, but they all became Achaians or Hellenes (Greek is later) when they were attacked by the people further inland in Anatolia who talked "bar-bar-bar," and so were barbarians.

I know radio host Robert Aubrey Davis slightly, and his Millenium of Music was my first introduction to early music, as I am sure it is for many. I told him I had trouble knowing which Millenium he meant, until I figured it was the thousand years from Gregory forward. Almost, it's the 1000 years from Bach back. To me, even the later Baroque sounds as we are headed FORWARD into Bach and what we generally call "Classical music." So stick with my dates: 1600 back. (OK, sticklers, 1604 back.)

If I were to start with Hindemith's Elementary Musicianship and worked all the way through Piston and Devoto on harmony, I would have all the tools to analyze why 16th Century music sounds different than baroque, but I would be doing excavation work where many had gone before. But if I just plunged in, and used the wrong interval, why would the more educated people on this list rock forward in shock? 25 years ago, the anachronistic Dona Nobis Pacem from Kenneth Brannagh's Henry V did exactly that to a musician I was with--he almost burst out laughing. If I wanted to write something that sounded so out there as 16th Century music does, so different from what we listen to know, which of the concepts at hand would I use?

I was trying to get a jazz musician friend to help me with something, but he got all shakey in the knees with slow rhythms and simple keys--modes-- so I played, I think, Palestrina's Missa Brevis with the score and showed him how the third never appeared in two pages. (NO I WAS NOT TRYING TO GET HIM TO DO A GUITAR SETTING OF THE MASS. I WAS EXPLAINING THE SOUND.) Right there, that is something that gives it an other wordly quality. I am sure that introducing the third helps the melody come home, as it were.

I hope I offend no one by pointing out that in the hundreds of years before the Pina Colada song appeared in my college years, there was no stupider pop song than L'homme arme'. There's no explaining why FORTY composers thought it would be good for a Mass, but they did--there we get into taste, and that is impossible to discuss. However, you can hear the melody clearly in Josquin's, but why does it sound beautiful there?

So....???

BTW, the guitarist and I share a rehearsal space, so I left loops of Byrd or Tallis or Josquin on Napster(now Rhapsody) when I left. He ended up falling in love with it--but we never got our project done.

Kenneth
  • PS--If anyone is inspired to do a parody mass, please, not the Pina Colada song. Choose something Gaelic--along the lines of Sting's Fields of Gold, but in the public domain.

Kenneth
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Renaissance polyphony has thirds. They're just not used the same way we use them today (as the building block for functional harmony).

I'm not sure you're going to find the frequency you're looking for. The books/guides you mentioned are the right ones to study, plus a handful of others (Fux's Gradus, for example). But I don't know that you can summarize the style any more than those books do (if you could, I'm sure it would make a good number of Music Undergrads very happy).

Beyond that- if you want to write music that sounds "Renaissance," listen to a heck of a lot more of it, and study scores of your favorites. I don't know that there is a magic formula. (It isn't like when we all first discovered the Blues progression and could suddenly play 25 songs.)
  • DougS
    "There's no explaining why FORTY composers thought it would be good for a Mass, but they did--there we get into taste, and that is impossible to discuss. However, you can hear the melody clearly in Josquin's, but why does it sound beautiful there?"

There is a lot of scholarly literature on this very issue.

As for the original question, I'm not really sure what you're after. "Difference" is just a matter of perception, as Chuck G. suggests. Several other posters have recommended good resources for learning about style and the music itself.

If you are looking for something that touches on meaning and culture, I would highly recommend Andrew Kirkman's relatively new monograph, The Cultural Life of the Early Polyphonic Mass: Medieval Context to Modern Revival. I think it even has a chapter on L'homme armé.
  • Well, maybe I will come up with a book on my own! (A decade from now.) As usual, CUA has apparently several shelves full, so I will have to see what they yield. (Musicological technical studies, I suspect.)

Yes, I know there are thirds, else where did the Picardy Third come into play? I meant that, as one thing I can point to, Palestrina kept one piece floating up in the air a bit by not anchoring it the way we would. Whether he would have understood it that way, I have no idea.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I have a point here, and the discussion helps.

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • DougS
    I also agree with Adam that listening is the key here. If one doesn't know the repertoire, it is infinitely more difficult to "unlock" it.
  • Protasius
    To be exact, species counterpoint in the footsteps of Fux is not the same as contrapuntal music of the 16th century. Contrapuntal technique in the sixteenth century by R. O. Owen (1922) is an attempt to show this and teach the technique exemplified by original compositions of the 16th century.
  • HEY, a helpful specific answer.

Thanks.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Two texts from which I learned counterpoint might be helpful-
    "Sixteenth Century Counterpoint" by Gustave Soderlund and
    "Counterpoint: The Sixteenth Century Vocal Style" by Knut Jeppesen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I wanted to make the point above that (1) Kenneth asks this question:
    If I wanted to know what Sacred Polyphony IS exactly, what books would help me understand?
    and (2) his subsequent question:
    I mean, why do the 16th Century choral pieces sound so DIFFERENT from what we are used to in choral writing?
    asks a contrasting question that pits (the sound of) 16th century sacred polyphony against "what we are used to in choral writing" (which I take to mean in other genres of choral composition). It seemed to me somewhat disingenuous or mistaken to co-opt the term Sacred Polyphony in the first question as referring only to the 16th century, ignoring the spectrum of sacred polyphony that flourished from the 14th century on through the 16th century and, with some peaks and valleys, on into the 21st century where it still flourishes today.

Sure, most of 16th century polyphony is characterized by modal harmony and counterpoint, and much of this was supplanted by later diatonic major/minor modes. But it didn't die out completely. Bach in the Baroque era, Bruckner in the Romantic era and even Titcomb in the 20th century, in some of their finest sacred works, eschewed the diatonic idiom for modal counterpoint and harmony. There are 21st century composers, also, some of whom are known to readers of this form, who currently make use of such modal materials in their compositions. These and others have also retained and use the modal palette while enriching it with more harmony that is more complex than that found in the 16th century but still very modal and not major/minor. This is typical of the evolution of modal harmony and counterpoint from the styles seen in the 14th century (and even earlier) to that of the 16th century then through the Baroque and subsequent eras into the 20th and 21st centuries.

And while (modal) works of different composers do sound different from one another and even, on a coarser scale, different from century to century, when studied in their entirety, they represent a changing but fairly continuous spectrum of progression. One might hope, therefore, that the question of larger scope which was asked first might be addressed without retreating to the more specialized 16th century polyphony. The sacred polyphony that we have now is so much richer and more vast than just the 16th century, thanks to subsequent unearthing of earlier treasures and the reverent and respectful later development of that tradition.
  • I was contemplating your excellent answer when I stumbled across a gorgeous motet by John Dunstaple on YouTube, which rather illustrate your point. I will post it when I am not at the mercy of Siri.

Your point reminds me of a previous question I asked; in keeping with JAT's desire that this be a place for people to find things out, and not just discuss things, I asked a series of questions that came up in my mind as I was reading the posts. I could not for the life of me get around the distinction people were drawing between a responsorial Psalm and a graduale. They have the same basic structure after all. Asking it got me in a lot of trouble with some people, but after all of the talk, and comparing all of that to what the GIR M says, I came up with the definition rather like the one you are proposing for sacred polyphony. That was:"a responsorial Psalm consists of an antiphon and a verse, sometimes several verses. The earliest form is known as a graduale, which is in Gregorian chant and Latin and is always licit. The more familiar form is written in a modern musical idiom and the vernacular. In technical discussions, the vernacular form is often referred to simply as a responsoriol Psalm, and the Latin version is referred to as the graduale. However, they occupy the same place and serve the same function in the Ordinary Formof the Latin Rite.". This struck me as a way to include the history in modern practice.

I might add that I was tempted to merely say that a responsorial Psalm is badly written.That is indeed what many people think, but I think that does a disservice to a number of composers, including Peter Letona, who have in fact written very nice responsorial Psalm's in the vernacular.

And, just as in the way that some people use the term Graduale, people do in fact use the term "sacred polyphony" to mean pieces that were composed during the 16th century, mainly because that is what they love best. Your explanation is very clear and very helpful, and I think will help anyone who comes to this question seeking an answer.

Which doesn't mean that I think the discussion is ended, merely that the questions have now been focused in a way that gets at the information I was looking for. And one of the books is available on Amazon for $2.35 so this has in fact been a pretty rewarding thread.

Kenneth
  • There is book on polyphony by W. Apel, now available on internet, for example, here. Or just google Apel polyphony.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    As I said before, in another thread, A. Tillman Merritt is what you want to look at.
    One major element of style in Renaissance polyphony is the concept of structural voices. There is a sense in which modern harmonic music is a I-V-I structure, elaborated. Renaissance music doesn't work by chords, but by 2 voices (superius and tenor) gojng ^1/^8 -- 2/7 -- 1/8. And of course this cadential pattern gets moved around to different notes of the mode, and elaborated. In Lassus, the other voices will often resolve a cadence deceptively to ^4/6 (what we'd cll V-IV in modern harmony, where it's avoided.) As we get to the end of the 16th c., the structural voices tend to break down, move temporarily to other voices (this is where Palestrina is ahead of his time).

When you get to the post-Josquin generation, rhythm becomes much simpler and more regular, textures tend to become thicker (5 voices becomes the norm instead of 4), imitation clearer, and the whole easier to sing. You also hear a lot less Phrygian mode as you move through the century.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    ian beat me to the answer i was thinking
  • I went with the Tillman for my first purchase. Reason? It was about 20 cents less on Amazon. About $3.50 for a hardback. But I am excited to go through all of them.