Our Father - Organ Acc.
  • donr
    I need help. We often chant the Our Father in our Church, however we have a new priest who simply can't keep the melody straight and changes keys in each of the sung parts (his than ours). it can sometimes be very difficult to keep the original key in my head as we sing "For thine is the Kingdom..."
    Does anyone here have an organ acc. that I can give to my wife so she can play softly behind Father.
    thank you,
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'll go ahead ask the obvious question... what setting of the Our Father are you using?
  • GavinGavin
    Accompanying a priest is strictly forbidden by liturgical legislation in the Roman Rite.

That said, make your own call on it. But you should at least be aware of this.
  • donr
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to the question. So here is the best that I can do.
    in the key of F.. A,A,A,A,G,A,G,F, G,F,G,A,G, B,B,A,G, ...

I hope this helps.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    If you download the "Missal Chants":

There are four different accompaniments to the "Our Father" — Three (3) are to the melody you cite. The other is for the new ICEL melody.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Robert Snow setting.
  • donr
    @Gavin, I didn't realize that. I would like to accompany the peoples parts than.
  • donr
    thank you
  • Liam
    Gavin

It's the Our Father - not a presidential prayer, but a prayer of the congregation and the presider.
  • While Gavin's correct, the moment that the congregation begins to sing the Our Father, then it is no longer covered under that rule.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • GavinGavin
    Then the priest being off-key isn't a serious problem. My impression was that the poster was referring to the priest-alone parts.
  • Jeff O's accompaniments to the Snow chant are practical and at the same time are musically interesting and imaginative.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • donr
    The priest-alone parts are what is off and that is what makes it difficult to sing the Lord's Prayer as a chant.

With the organ acc. it will encourage those that are totally lost to sing and may even keep the presider on track.

thanks again for all your help.