Looking for new hymnal...
  • Currently my parish is using the Saint Michael Hymnal and Worship. As the new music director, I'm researching what our options are to replace at least the Worship hymnal, if not both. I've purchased a Vatican II hymnal to familiarize myself with it and I am quite pleased with it. However, I'd like to keep my options open. Are there any works in progress that may come out in the next year or two? Or are there any other hymnals, like the Vatican II, that you recommend? Thanks!
  • Kathy
    Are your current hymnals pre-revised-translation? Is that one of the reasons you are seeking to change?

Vatican II is excellent. Depending on your pastoral situation, the revised St. Michael might be worth a look.
  • They are pre-revised...I'll look into the revised hymnal...thanks!
  • CharlesW
    I am doing the same in previewing hymnals. There isn't one that is perfect. Vatican II has some strong points, but it also has some real weaknesses. The layout of the hymns is weird. There will be staves with verse 1, below it another set of staves with verses 2 and 3, then another set with verses 4 and 5. What were the editors thinking? I don't know. Had they put the hymns in conventional hymn format, they likely could have increased the font size and darkness. One of the first comments my pastor made was that the hymn text wasn't that easy to read for older eyes. The binding is glossy and the question was raised as to how easily it would scratch and look bad. I can't answer that one, since I don't know anyone who has used it over time. There is no choir edition available, or so I have been told. I think there is a separate psalter with accompaniment and music for psalm verses. Also, it seemed many standard Christmas and Easter hymns were left out - probably to keep the cost down by using only public domain materials.

Worship IV has some good hymns, readings, and improved psalms. It is very well indexed. However, some of the 70s hymns I love to hate are in it, too. They picked up some of the non-golden oldies from RitualSong. The RitualSong psalms were generally awful.

I still have to look at the St. Michael. Comments on it would be most welcome. Adoremus is out because it is too limited in what it offers. My pastor doesn't like pew clutter, so he wants one book that does as much as possible.
  • marajoymarajoy
    There has been several threads which might interest you, which discuss hymnals in great detail:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/4918/
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6440/
  • hartleymartin
    See if it is possible to move to a Mass leaflet with the hymns printed on it. It keeps your options open. If you plan well and can convince the other musicians at the parish to follow a set program, the same leaflet can be used for all masses on a weekend.

At the Church where I sing, we have a single leaflet for an entire weekend of masses. The hymns are a set selection, and there are boxes shaded in light grey which state where the program differs for the 11am sung high mass with the choir.

As much as hard work goes into hymnals I have never found a single collection to be entirely satisfactory to my needs. I have the following to access in my chapel (most of which I supplied at my own expense!)

- The Catholic Worship Book
    (not a bad collection for a 1980's hymnal, but a real mixed bag)
    - The Catholic Hymn Book
    (as used at Westminster Cathedral, London and the London Oratory)
    - The New English Hymnal
    (a popular Anglican collection, with quite a bit of stuff suitable for Catholic mass)
    - The Vatican II Hymnal
    (pretty good, but lacking a few local favourites)
    - The Adoremus Hymnal
    (a real mixed bag. Some accompaniments are stupid)

There are several other hymn collections which I am looking into. From these I will probably compile a list of recommended hymns to go into a collection specifically tailored for Australian congregations.

Even from this collection, I bolster it with Public Doman stuff available as a free download and I am usually forced to write the responsorial psalm verse each time I do a mass.

I intend to widen my collection of Latin Hymns and chants when the new St Edmund Campion Hymnal comes out soon.
    Thanked by 1amandagriswold
  • There's an old thread that covered the point about glossy covers, and a few other questions of note regarding the Vatican II Hymnal.

• RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Amanda Griswold,

A review of several hymnals by Dan Craig was posted on the Forum, and reprinted (with permission) on the CCW Blog (direct URL)

Dear CharlesW,

Regarding the hymn format, we knew that there were various options available.

My personal preference is to have the words printed in stanzas, separate from the music, as the English do. However, for whatever reason, Americans have never accepted this.

Some books print a few verses under music, and some at the bottom, etc.

Because there are so many considerations, I know that no system will please everyone.

I am happy to report that our system has allowed people to sing with gusto tunes they have never heard before.

Just for the record, in general, musicians have no problems with any of the systems.

However, the "average" person in the pews often has problems with layouts like that of Worship IV, because their eyes have to jump back and forth:

---

* Note * If a person has a hymn tune memorized and has sung it their whole life, obviously any method will work for that person.

Others will disagree with the method we have chosen. I can only report that my first hand experience has been very positive when it comes to unfamiliar tunes and Catholics who have very limited musical experience.

Others will disagree.

---
  • I think the heart of Charles' pastor's criticism was that an effect of this was the lightness and smallness of the font. It was only afterward that Charles concluded that the format was to blame.
  • CharlesW
    Someone in the parish did raise the "scratch" issue on those covers. I like the art work, but have to admit the glossy cover looks a bit cheap. I think the thought that this type of cover will scratch comes from similar bindings on low-cost books that scratch and show the fiber board underneath. My parish is not kind to hymnals and they get a lot of wear.

The hymnal does have good hymns. It's what they don't have that is a problem. My congregation(s) and priests are accustomed to singing certain standard hymns during liturgical seasons. When they are not included, it makes selling the hymnal to them more difficult.

Again, the hymn layout is strange and I see no apparent reasons for it. I have to assume that the editors are either younger, or have great eyesight. Some have noted the difficulty in reading the hymn texts. I think the font is probably large enough, just not heavy or dark enough. I can use that format, but it seems to take up space that would have allowed larger, darker text in standard hymn format. I don't think the congregation would like it because it is too different.

I like the psalm antiphon inclusion in the readings. I didn't notice any text for the verses, and they are evidently only in the psalter version which the choir would use. The lack of an SATB choir edition is going to be a tough sell to the choir.

Again, there is no perfect hymnal on the market. We will examine the strengths and weaknesses of various hymnals and make a decision on what works best for our parish.

I did wonder at inclusion of Propers in a pew edition. Perhaps others do it differently, but for us, only the choir sings Propers. Maybe the space could have been used to add more well-known hymns. Just a thought.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear CharlesW,

I really appreciate all your thoughts and considerations.

By the way, some of the things you ask about, such as the SATB edition, are available here:

I know there is a lot on that page, so it is easy to overlook things like the SATB edition.

Rather than me try to type out everything, I hope people will just spend a long time examining that website.

We didn't include some really popular Catholic songs ("Sing a new Church into being" — "Yahweh, I know you are near" — "Eagle's Wings" etc.) but you could always keep your old books around for these songs. Many parishes have two (or even three) hymnals.

Some parishes have had the Vatican II Hymnal for over a year: no scratches yet!! . . . and the covers look totally amazing (IMHO). I suppose it is at least possible that over the next 20 years, there might be some scratches. By the way, the V2H will, indeed, last 20 years: see this website Q&A

Just for the record, here's a sample page of one of the hymns:

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Many thanks for the information. You are right, that web page is cluttered and it is easy to overlook things. I will take another look. It's good to know about the durability of the covers, and the availability of an SATB edition.

We don't use those "popular" hymns you mentioned. They are trash, to begin with. I was referring to the omission of standard Christmas carols and Easter hymns. Easter is a long season in the OF. Christmas, not so much, although "People Look East" for Advent, and "O Little Town of Bethlehem," and "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night," and such are pretty standard in most of the major hymnals.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • ryandryand
    Maybe a supplementary leaflet for your parish would work for those weeks with the popular hymns not in the V2 Hymnal. Since the melodies are so well-known, it would be possible (and easy) to make something that is text-only, just to give the lyrics for anything past the most-likely memorized first verses.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    Just an FYI... on the VII Hymnal. I presented it to my pastor and although he liked it he decided against it because it doesn't not include a Spanish translation for the at least the readings. I know you can not include all the different languages. But maybe a Spanish edition would help your cause in the US (especially the southern states).
  • CharlesW
    I thought about that, but as I have mentioned, the pastor is adamant about pew clutter. He wants one book - granted, I have never found one that does everything. If I were the only person responsible for buying the new hymnal, the choice would be relatively easy. That's not the case. When I choose the hymnal I want, I have to sell it to the pastor and others.

At any rate, I plan to look again at VII and the website, and also some other hymnals before building my case for any one of them.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Heath
    Amanda, we decided to go with the newest St. Michael edition (4th edition) this past spring, and I'm incredibly happy with it. Just about every quality Catholic hymn is in there . . . and the Order of Mass section in the beginning (same as Adoremus) is beautiful.

Some parishes who want the readings and propers in their hymnals are best served with the VII, but if your main criteria is the *hymns*, tough to beat St. Michael.
  • CharlesW
    Interesting, since I haven't looked at the St. Michael yet.
  • Doesn't some official document require that parish hymnals contain the readings, if not the propers, as well as the music?
  • CharlesW
    Not that I know of. Granted, there may be a document I haven't seen. Some parishes use missalettes in addition to hymnals, so readings are in them.
  • Well, shoot. The Adoremus Hymnal oversells itself, then.

Following the general plan in Musicam Sacram, the Holy See’s Instruction on sacred music, The Adoremus Hymnal consists of three major sections:

1. The Order of the Mass ...

2. Musical settings for the Ordinary of the Mass ...

3. Hymns ...

Should have done more digging instead of taking their word for it.
  • CharlesW
    Let's hear from others on this. I am not an authority on it.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • donr
    I have the Adoramus Hymnal and it does contain what you stated above. I do have the pre-Third Edition so I can not comment on their latest offering.
  • donr
    @JMO, I actually agree with you and your chart above with the red arrows. It is difficult to follow the music and the read/sing the words in most hymns longer than say 4 verses. I usually find myself highlighting alternating verses so its easier to see where I am.
  • 1. Readings not required.

2. Organists who have to sing from the hymnal have trouble with multi-verses. Sure. Why has this problem not been dealt with differently? Protestants created the hymnal as we know it today and their organists never sing from the hymnal, since they are busy playing and referring to the text for punctuation they may include in their playing and appropriate stop changes.

Catholic organists who play while they sing are hindered in their work, not only when it comes to interpreting punctuation (this is taught by many organ teachers) and stop registrations, but more importantly because they cannot hear the congregation singing while they are singing and often fail as accompanists for that reason.

Singing while playing a hymn for the congregation is like texting while driving. Possible but not something that a professional would do.

Printing additional verses under the music is hardly a problem since it is rare for more than 3 or 4 verses to be sung in C churches and after singing the melody 4 times, the people do not need it. The number of people who actually read music and words singing in a Catholic church is grossly overstated.

Any hymnal that looks "different" from the mainstream hymnals is the result of the choice of an editor and the decision is made with the understanding that sales will be affected as a result.

When I named the Catholic Choirbook series I struggled, knowing that I could sell a lot more if I did not call it Catholic, but decided that improving music in the Catholic church is more important than making money. JMO made the decision to lay out hymns the way that he is comfortable singing them. While this has affected sales, possibly someday it will become the norm in the industry due to his decision.

• CharlesW
    I would agree that printing additional verses under the music isn't a problem, since most hymns usually have no more than 4 verses. I would also agree about trying to sing while playing. I find it extremely hard to do. However, I sometimes think Protestant organists might have trouble working with Catholic congregations. We simply don't do things the same way, and some Protestant accompaniment techniques are not suited to Catholic singing. Note reading depends on the congregation. The older folks in my parish generally do read notes, because that was taught in the parish school when they attended.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, I find 5 underlaid verses a practical limit myself. There is a kind of hermeneutic of continuity in that all of us have or will learn to cope with conventional layouts at some point in our careers, as will PIPs. So I find myself bristling a bit on reading "Just for the record, in general, musicians have no problems..." For the record and for the second time, I am a musician and the bizarre 'innovative' layout takes an otherwise intriguing hymnal clear out of the running as far as I am concerned. How about a choir edition with full harmony?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    We didn't include some really popular Catholic songs ("Sing a new Church into being" — "Yahweh, I know you are near" — "Eagle's Wings" etc.) but you could always keep your old books around for these songs. Many parishes have two (or even three) hymnals.

I don't know about those popular Catholic songs, either. They are not popular in my parish. The "Yahweh" has been banned specifically by the diocese, because it uses the name of God. The Vatican II seems to have a small selection of hymns to begin with, and many standard hymns are not there. The collection is of very good quality, just small.

I will give the hymnal another look, and get input from others. I agree, Richard, on the editorial idiosyncrasy regarding the layout. It is different. I wonder if any of the editors are organists?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Some quick thoughts, if I may:

How about a choir edition with full harmony?

The SATB choir books have been available for over a year. Furthermore, 100% of the SATB scores have been available online (for free) for more than a year. Perhaps we are not doing a good enough job letting people know about this? The website has all the info.

I would agree that printing additional verses under the music isn't a problem, since most hymns usually have no more than 4 verses.

In the V2H, we made the decision to use as many hymns as possible with more than 3-4 verses. I explain the reason for this in the Preface.
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst ryand
  • Did CCW consider this format?

Verse
    Verse
    Staff
    Verse
    Verse
    ----
    (Repeat)

Don't know if this is doable, but this would solve The Curious Case of the Red Arrow.

------------------------

Second thing: Of course, another solution is to have the standard format:

Staff
    Verse
    Verse
    Verse
    Verse
    Staff

... but have SA carry the first two verses and TB carry the last two. (There are no wrong notes in jazz.)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Thanks, JMO: the $11 SATB choirbooks look fine, but would still need to be juggled with the pew edition with the service settings, no?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hi, Richard. If the choir wants to sing SATB, they need those $11 books. Another possibility would be to simply print the SATB scores off the website, if folks don't sing SATB all that often. Cheers!
  • hartleymartin
    5 verses are about the practical limit when printing verses under music. When I reach 5, I underline the first bar of the third verse on each successive line to make it easier for the congregation to follow.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Having played at the Cathedral for four years, I stopped playing there when my daughter was born. I now assist at a local Church, where they happen to use the Vatican II Hymnal.

CharlesW, I looked around the parish today. They've had the V2H for just over a year, and I am happy to report I saw not a single scratch, even on the copies the choir members use (and abuse!).

Quite frankly, I am comfortable saying that the covers still look just great. Or, as my mom would say, "They look like a million bucks."

• CharlesW
    All good information. Thanks. Still don't like the hymn verse layout, and rarely ever need more than 4 verses for anything at my parish. I could see how it would matter to someone in a huge parish who needs all those verses. Again, thanks for the information. I am gathering info from many sources and publishers before purchasing hymnals. I don't expect to find the perfect hymnal and whatever is purchased will involve some trade-offs.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • hartleymartin
    In my experience, no one hymnal has ever been perfect for all needs in all scenarios. But the Vatican II hymnal has been one of the best attempts that I have seen thus far.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • CharlesW
    There are many things I like about it. I have to look at some more, however, to have others to compare it against.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Steve QSteve Q
    AG, my parish is in the process of evaluating new hymnals. Since it is quite obvious that no single hymnal could satisfy all of our needs/desires, we decided to establish a set of criteria by which they would be evaluated and compared. Working with the pastor, we created a list that looked something like this (in no particular order):

1) Price
    2) Hardbound vs. Softcover
    3) Supports new translation
    4) Traditional vs. P&W/Contemporary Hymns
    5) Latin language hymns
    6) Readings for Sundays/Holydays
    7) Propers for Sundays/Holydays
    8) Psalm Settings for Sundays/Holydays
    9) Acceptable English Mass Settings (must define "acceptable")
    10) Includes Latin Mass Settings
    11) Order of the Mass
    12) Other Rites of the Church (e.g. baptisms, funerals)
    13) Organ Accompaniment
    14) Choir Edition
    15) Instrumental Parts
    16) Indexes, Planning Support

You could certainly come up with more of your own. It will be important to put weights on each criterion to establish their criticality. For instance you could assign a scale, say 1 to 5, ranging from very important to not important. Alternatively, you could assign criticality values of some kind, such as a) must have, b) very important, and c) nice to have but not critical. This is essential to the evaluation since what is critical for your parish may be very different from mine.

We have been through a cursory assessment of 11 different hymnals so far - I will share the list, but I am not yet prepared to share our evaluations (again, in no particular order):

Heritage Missal (OCP)
    Journeysongs (OCP)
    Worship IV (GIA)
    We Celebrate Hymnal (WLP)
    Adoremus Hymnal (Ignatius Press)
    St. Michael Hymnal (St. Boniface)
    Vatican II Hymnal (CC Watershed)
    American Catholic Hymnbook (American Catholic Press)
    The Collegeville Hymnal (Liturgical Press)
    St. Augustine Hymnal (ILP Music)
    The Summit Choirbook (Domincan Nuns of Summit, NJ)

No matter what decision one makes, not everyone will be happy. So I think it is important to go through a process like this to get as close as possible to the best solution for your parish. It may also be important to document the process so that it can be presented if necessary to whomever it may concern (e.g. finance committee). I created a spreadsheet with criteria in rows (arranged by criticality) and hymnals in columns. I color-coded the cells to indicate whether or not a hymnal met a criterion (green=yes, yellow=partial, red=no). This is shaping up to give a nice visual of which books are satisfying the most of our most critical needs. (OK, so I'm a geek!)

I hope this helps.
  • CharlesW
    I would be very interested in your conclusions when you are ready to buy.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • It's 'stanza'.
    a 'verse' is a portion of a stanza.
    a number of vv. make up a st.
    quite a number of vv. make up a number of sts.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • You've got to be clearer than that if you want to educate all us who do not have a clue:

What's a Stanza? How many are there in a Hymn and why?

How do we tell a verse from a stanza and are there verses in choruses? What is a portion of a chorus called if it is not called a verse?

Since the VAT II does not have all the verses clumped together under the music, then CharlesW is right, his comment is about verses, since the verses are not joined together in stanzas.

The guy's a librarian. And he's retired and got time to think. Let's all give him some credit. Let's all open a book in his honor.
  • OK, sure. But it being obvious what was meant, JMO still didn't answer the question.
  • E_A,

This was all discussed at length prior to the issuing of the VAT II and can be researched on the list. It's JMO's book and that's the way he felt it should be, after considering all the alternatives including the ones that you bring up.

It's not a flawed book, it is just another way of doing this. American's have been doing this for years, trying to improve upon the much superior way the British do this, preserving the music as music and the words as poetry.

Cramming them together has pretty much destroyed the impact of hymns as prayer in the USA. Anyone else agree?

[yes, I know that I could have added this by editing the prior message and not posting again, but...it's impossible to answer a question before it is asked unless one has a time machine and is willing to admit it. Signing off with a spin on the propellor on my beanie.
  • This was a question from curiosity, not scorn. I'd be much obliged if someone pointed me in the right direction.
  • Noel is so very, very right! Americans have, indeed, been trying for years to improve upon the 'much superior way the British do this'. If they were to adopt the British way of doing this it would, then, be plain to them where the sts. started and stopped, and how that they consisted of varying numbers of vv. Too, they might notice, as Noel suggests, that these hymns (each consisting of certain numbers of sts. having a certain number of vv.) really did, rather than being a random string of words, carry message and meaning.
  • I don't think that JMO has to answer whether or not he considered doing the hymnal that way that you suggested. It's a moot point, especially since there was a long discussion about all of this prior to publication. If you take time to go back and read the discussion you will see that he did this out of his own personal conviction. If that discussion does not satisfy your curiosity, then a private email to him might be answered.

As people tell JMO why they are and are not ordering the VAT II, he will, on his own make decisions about revisions. At this point in the production and sales of the books he's got a lot on his plate...how many people would put a downpayment and sign a contract to purchase 300 VAT II's for their church if the hymns were laid out in Epis. 1940 format?

Many would say that they would, but few would actually do it. Citing all sorts of reasons.

If you, and others, really want to buy it in that format, talk to JMO and see what it would cost for him to reformat for an alternate edition with 1940 style hymns and a library cloth binding with just the name of the book on it, then go on Kickstarter and create a project with $40,000 - $100,00 whatever it would take for the work he would have to do and how many books would have to be purchased.

Then pledge the money to the Kickstarter fund, each and every parish that wants the book this way., When the goal is met, your CC is charged and he can do it, IF HE WANTS TO.
  • GavinGavin
    I think this whole discussion has gone in some very radical directions. I think the novel layout of the Vatican II hymnal is very unfortunate. I find it cumbersome to look at and discouraging to effective singing.

But.

This is one of the VERY FEW hymnals which does NOT have ANY s--- in it. I don't have to qualify "s---", we all know what I mean. When someone comes to you and asks you to play their favorite s---ty hymn, you can say, "GOSH, I'd LOVE to... but it isn't in our hymnal! Sorry about that!" People will thank you for your kind consideration and walk away. I've seen it happen.

That may be a draw for many of us. Or it may not. I think one can simply not use the s---. But others may not feel that way.

It is also the ONE hymnal which has only fine hymns and a complete lectionary, for those who need that. It is the ONE American Catholic hymnal that was made for and by people who love hymns.

I think it would be terribly foolish to reject this hymnal on the sole basis of unfortunate layout. And I say that as someone who has been critical of much of CCW's work in the past. But then it's your church, not mine. Are the hymnals of GIA perfect in layout? OCP? WLP? Aodremus? If you're going for a perfect layout, maybe you should make your own hymnal. Or you can just accept that they all have some flaws.

Again, I am someone who was highly critical of the Vatican II Hymnal at the start, but I was won over by seeing the actual product. In fact, as critical as I am about the hymn layout, you actually don't even notice it when using it! Sounds crazy, but I've found this to be the case!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    JMO still didn't answer the question.

To answer your question, I would see some serious problems with what you suggest (if I am understanding correctly).

But, folks, I am not infallible! People are going to disagree.

I have tried to stress this, but maybe I haven't done a good enough job.

So let me be crystal clear:

We tried to do what WE BELIEVE is the most helpful for the folks in the pews.

We made the decision based on what we felt called in prayer to do.

Our method is not the only "right" or "true" acceptable method.

We have been highly encouraged by the results. However, I have tried to mention that there are many acceptable alternatives. I mentioned that my personal favorite is the English method (see above). There are many acceptable possibilities. We did what we felt called to do, as the most helpful for the folks in the PEWS. It was not easy: it was a lot of work. The "standard" layout would have been much easier. As I've said, others will disagree with our choice. All I can do is pray that many will find it helpful. We've been very encouraged by the feedback.

Gavin: Again, I am someone who was highly critical of the Vatican II Hymnal at the start, but I was won over by seeing the actual product. In fact, as critical as I am about the hymn layout, you actually don't even notice it when using it! Sounds crazy, but I've found this to be the case!

Wow, what a wonderful statement! Thanks!

That's been my experience, too. There was some criticism of the format before publication. But, ever since publication, not a word . . . until this thread !

:-D
    Thanked by 3E_A_Fulhorst ryand donr
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    By the way, here's the way GIA lays out their book of Gospel Acclamations:

I must say, I prefer what we do at this website:

St. Charles Garnier Gospel Acclamations
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • What new book of gospel acclamations is that?

I have seen the Cantor's Book of Gospel Acclamations, but as far as I know, they weren't revising that?

• The syllabification of the verses in JMO's example from GIA above is a really awkward and quite wrong adaptation of psalm tone VI. The cadential 'B' is an accent and should receive an accented syllable, thus: '... my Fa-| ther.says.the Lord'. There should be an optional extra 'G' for the last one or two syllables as required. Likewise, on the 2nd verse, the syllabification should be '...gave | his.on.ly Son'. The pointing given is clumsy and plain wrong.
    And, for the second half of the tone: the 'A-B' should be given to a single syllable owing to it being a podatus. This would render the 1st verse as '... the foun-| da-.TION.of.the world'. And the 2nd verse as '...may | have.E-.ter.nal life'. And so forth. The final two notes of the final cadence get one syllable each, not the single syllable given on some of the verses in the example. One can only imagine the inept guesswork of those who are employed to make these absurd and artless adaptations.

For singing the psalter in English to Gregorian psalm tones one can have no better teacher than St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter, or the ear of an Anglican who has sung them all his or her life. It would be of great help if all would take the time to learn the eight Gregorian tones: then all would scratch their heads on viewing such an example from any publisher.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>ear of an Anglican

but the ears... they're so hard to find!