Reading "The Bugnini-Liturgy and the Reform of the Reform"
  • Halfway through chapter 2 of this fantastic* book --- free on Musica Sacra --- and one point stuck out.

On several occasions so far, the author has basically made the point that the Novus Ordo cannot honestly be called an heir to the Roman liturgy, and this even when recognizing the differences within the Tridentine liturgy and its internal development. This threw me for a loop. So my first question:

1. Unless I'm reading him wrong, he pretty much says the Novus Ordo is such a fabrication that is as different to the Roman liturgies as the Eastern liturgies are. Does this really hold water?

But suppose he's right, and suppose we wanted to implement the reforms of Vatican II they way they should have been implemented. Suppose there's a real need for an authentic liturgy of Vatican II --- this would not be "returning" to the Tridentine liturgy, nor patching the Novus Ordo, but coming up with a completely new, and third, liturgy which is legitimately of the Roman Rite yet also reformed. So my second question:

2. Would it take a Vatican III to create a new liturgy as demanded by Vatican II? Would it take a special commission? For that matter, at what level of authority was the Novus Ordo promulgated? How would this even happen?

But, if we couldn't do that, suppose we did end up trying to "fix" the Novus Ordo. My third question:

3. How extensive could changes really be? This is not "how extensive is prudent" or "how quickly should we go" but "Now that the liturgy was completed, how much flexibility is there in changing things?"

Because I haven't read the end of the book yet, I don't know what solutions he actually proposes. I fully recognize that I could be completely off-base on this stuff, so please don't take what I've just written to be what he intends. You'd have to read the book for that.

* Not being competent to judge its accuracy, all I can really say is that it brilliantly echoes the best bits of my own biases and pet theories and convinces me that he's right where we differed. What more could someone venturing outside his professional competency really say?
  • francis
    The main problem with any top down fabrication is that it veers away from the grass roots (organic) development of liturgy. Therefore anything created by a new council constitutes a fabrication. Vatican II did not call for new innovation or changes to the liturgy; It called for a renewed and deeper understanding of what has always existed through that famous philosophical paradigm called the hermeneutic of continuity, which was brought forward through our Holy Father.

There was a disconnect in the last few decades which created an anomoly of sorts and we are now trying to return to what is authentic as opposed to what is contrived. Music, of course, has had significant sway and many view the authentic as old fashion or going "backwards". That could not be any further from the truth as the entire focus of the liturgy post VII became anthropocentric instead of Christocentric. It became a celebration of "the happy meal together" at the expense of losing the focus of "the Most Holy Sacrifice".

Our minds and hearts need to undergo a transformation of attitude so that we can recapture the true nature of the liturgy, which is the authentic worship of God that carries forward, with utmost respect, the entirety of tradition expressed through a relevant expression of living faith-the old perfectly tied to the new. That is the challenge we face.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    I view the new, revised missal as going a long way toward correcting some of the abuses. Granted, I don't know what is happening with other bishops, but our diocese has requested a listing of mass settings we plan to use beginning with Advent. They want to check those settings and approve for use only those which conform to the missal texts. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Many seem to forget that there was a 1965 missal which was more in line with what the Council intended.
  • DougS
    When you're done, I would suggest following up immediately with his The Restoration and Organic Development of the Roman Rite, which goes into great practical detail.
  • Liam
    "there was a 1965 missal which was more in line with what the Council intended."

Not quite; that's become something of a myth in recent years. It was understood at the time merely to be a transition to what the Council intended. One example: the Council clearly intended a multi-year Lectionary, and much flowed from that (the realignment of propers, for example).
  • CharlesW
    The lectionary I am aware of. I don't think the Council envisioned the multiple canons.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Not quite; that's become something of a myth in recent years.

I'm not really sure how this is a myth, based on your argument. Admittedly, it did not include the multi-year lectionary desired by the Council, but lacking this or that particular desired reform doesn't neccesarily mean it wasn't closer overall.

But 50 years on, a lot of this intent of the Council talk is moot. The Council's desire for this or that particular change is almost always a discplinary matter and a matter of prudence that may or may not have been a good idea.

I think we've experienced real problems with the multi-year lectionary as it was constituted. Perhaps an expanded lectionary for ferias that lacked proper readings in the '62 would be desireable, but the multi-year lectionary is, I believe, a real mess that results in Catholics hearing more scripture but retaining less of it and not incorporating what they do hear as deeply into their lives (which is really the goal, not just the number of verses heard.)
  • chonakchonak
    1. Whether the reformed liturgy should or should not be considered a continuation of the Roman rite is a debated topic. See, for example, Thomas Kocik's book "Reform of the Reform?"

2. The 1970 Missal was issued by the authority of Pope Paul VI and every Pope has the same authority to revise it. No new council is needed.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • hartleymartin
    I think that part of the idea with the multi-year lectionary, particularly with relationship to the gospels would be to read the same events from different gospels from year to year. There was a real desire to expand the understanding of scripture. Dei Verbum corrected a false understanding that scripture and tradition were somehow two independant and distinct sources of revelation. Scripture and Tradition are two aspects of the one and the same wellspring of faith.

Part of the aim was to open up the treasury of scripture to the faithful. Part of the trouble had become that people were less and less reading scripture, and many passages of scripture were encountered through the Breviary, which few lay people follow.

The proper context for scripture is within the sacred liturgy. Otherwise it reduces scripture to being merely another book upon which we can take endless academic exercises and arguements.

A good counter arguement for people who dismiss the Ordinary Form of the Mass as being somehow artificial since it was a council which made the changes, is to point out the fact that the prayers at the foot of the altar were added by the Council of Trent in 1570. The prayers at the foot of the altar and the last gospel were both originally private devotions, which were made public devotions. Why do we have another gospel reading after the dismissal? It seems rather odd don't you think?

The prayers at the foot of the altar are the personal spiritual preparation of the priest and his assistants. They are meant to be omitted if mass immediately follows one of the hours of the Liturgy of the Hours, since this is meant to act as the preparation.

I can see that by 1962 that there had come a need for liturgical reform. There were numerous problems with clunky rubrics, difficult liturgical calendars, Holy week was a right mess with the requirement that mass be said before midday, people were holding candles in broad daylight... Tenebrae was suppressed. There was a whole host of liturgical issues which needed to be sorted and standardised. However, I think that the new liturgy got hijacked by people who were all too eager to be progessive, and there are certain things which I would like to see restored, as well as other things that I would like to see suppressed and many more things which I would like to see clarified.
  • The 1970 Missal was issued by the authority of Pope Paul VI and every Pope has the same authority to revise it. No new council is needed.

Fan-tastic. All we need now is a Rainbow-Six-style squad of highly trained stealth liturgists to infiltrate the Vatican.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>highly trained stealth liturgists to infiltrate the Vatican
    That already happened. Their secret supreme overlord goes by the code name "B16."
  • hartleymartin
    Myth: Benedict XVI freed up the restrictions on the Latin Mass.

Fact: Benedict XVI declared that the missal of 1962 was never abrogated and thus any suitably trained clergy may use it. They do not need direct permission from their Bishop to do so.
    Thanked by 2Charles in CenCA Ben
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I had heard a lot about this book (from the Café and this forum, mostly) before I actually read it. Previously, I was under the impression that it was all a sort of knee-jerk rant against the post-V2 reforms ('Novus Ordo, bad -- Latin Mass, good'), albeit backed up with academic arguments. But what struck me about the text once I read it myself was how charitable Dobszay was… explaining that the new liturgy, while seemingly deficient in some respects (particularly with the music options, but also with the reform of the calendar, too -- all of which he explains with blistering clarity), is still the legitimate liturgy of the Church, and that as such it deserves our prayerful respect.
  • ... and also a burning desire to improve it.

I hope this is a quibble: Notably, the Novus Ordo is a legitimate liturgy, not the legitimate liturgy.
    Thanked by 3Mark M. Ben CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    THE legitimate liturgy is the one published in the Revised Roman Missal. It is the Ordinary Form of worship in the United States. The EF is not the ordinary form of worship, but rather an older form. Granted you may like it, prefer it, and think it is grand. That's fine. Attend it and support it. But it is what it is - worship from an older form of the missal. It's more than a quibble. It's personal preference and wishful thinking to maintain, as you do, that the EF is the mainstream, norm, or somehow superior to what the Church presents as lawful, authentic worship. Does the NO need reform? No, not as it is presented in the Missal. What it needs is application that is faithful to the Missal and GIRM. However, it isn't the EF, nor is it supposed to be. I would hope it never becomes so. In fact, Rome has forbidden mixing of the Rites.

The calendar issue has caused wide-spread division in the eastern churches that shows no signs of abating. Granted, the EF calendar has some feasts/celebrations that are completely irrelevant to modern life. Rogation Days and Ember Days don't mean much anymore. I have no fields to bless, unless the Church wants to bless my 1/2 acre. The EF calendar needed revising, but perhaps not so radically as what occurred. There are crazy eastern ceremonials, too, such as the annual blessing of fiery chariots. I would never consider my Toyota as fiery.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Well, I guess the combustion engine counts as fiery... ;-)

Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Hehehe. Probably.
  • francis
    mine caught fire once
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Gosh. Glad you were not hurt!
  • Never said the Novus Ordo wasn't mainstream. "Legitimacy" translates into nothing about commonness or preference but everything about "liceity."

That was the whole of the point made by changing "the" to "a."
  • "Rome has forbidden mixing of the Rites." They have? I believe you, just wondering where they said it.

I like the Ember Days, lots of nifty Old Testament readings!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: Ember Days and Rogation Days

Just because a lot of people don't farm doesn't mean that nobody does. It also doesn't mean that being liturgically/spiritually connected to the natural cycle of seasons is impossible or ill advised.
  • chonakchonak
    Pace Charles W., it would be a mistake to regard the 1962 Roman Missal of Bl. John XXIII as somehow less than legitimate.

In the letter motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, Pope Benedict has set it alongside the current Roman Missal:

The Roman Missal promulgated by Paul VI is the ordinary expression of the 'Lex orandi' (Law of prayer) of the Catholic Church of the Latin rite. Nonetheless, the Roman Missal promulgated by St. Pius V and reissued by Bl. John XXIII is to be considered as an extraordinary expression of that same 'Lex orandi,' and must be given due honour for its venerable and ancient usage. These two expressions of the Church's Lex orandi will in no any way lead to a division in the Church's 'Lex credendi' (Law of belief). They are, in fact two usages of the one Roman rite.

For Ruth: it is generally not a good thing to mix the two forms; after all, one should respect each. According to a 2007 statement of Msgr. Camille Perl (of the Ecclesia Dei commission), "One really shouldn't do that, but it is not expressly forbidden." The columnist Prof. McNamara offers arguments against taking liberties with the forms.

• Sacrosanctum conciliumsaid that duplications and elements that with the passing of time had been added with little advantage to the Roman rite mass were to be eliminated. In the 1969 missal some of these elements were given greater prominence. If it is to conform to the Constitution, the new rite must be judiciously pruned. For in it as much as in the old, elements of secondary importance sometimes overshadow more important elements. The nature of various parts of the Mass the their relation to other parts is not always made clear.

Still, the reform accomplished some of the goals that the Constitution stated. Worshippers at a pre-Conciliar Mass (particularly a low mass) could easily occupy themselves with private devotions and not pray the mass. Those at a post-Conciliar Mass cannot. In 1962 the people's vocal participation in the rite was advanced as an ideal, but (at least on the East Coast of the U.S.) was not often attained--very seldom at sung Masses. Mere vocal participation may fall short of the "participation actuosa" to which the Constitution refers; yet it is surely and "outward and visible sign" of this participation, and its nearly complete absence encouraged the people to think that the Mass was being offered for them rather than by them. Nearly all parts of the new rite are audible. Intercession for the WORLD--and not merely for the church--is offered at every celebration. The new lectionary has indeed "opened up more treasures" from the scriptures to the people. Distracting ceremonial accretions, such as the subdeacon's holding the paten under a humeral veil during the Canon, the celebrant's making the sign of the cross with the paten, the movement of the missal from one end of the altar to the other, and the myriad crossings in the Canon have been eliminated. The transfer of the celebrant from the altar to the chair during the Liturgy of the Word and the proclamation of the lessons from the ambo have helped to clarify the character of this part of the liturgy, previously reduced to that of an opening exercise.

Liturgical innovation from "on high" was not a novelty. Pope Gelasius replaced the Solemn Collects after the Gospel/sermon with a Litany placed immediately after the Introit (the Deprecatio Gelasii). One of his successors a generation or two later dropped the petitions, leaving only the Kyrie. Pope Sergius (late 7th century) introduced the Agnus Dei as a fraction anthem. (The story of how the fraction later got moved to the Embolism--with which it has no connection--is fascinating, but too long to recount here. The post-Conciliar reform rightly moved it back to the Agnus.)

Although the speed of development in the late 4th-5th centuries may not have matched the speed of post-Conciliar development, it was certainly quite swift.

The "organic" grass-roots developments that have occurred during the past forty years are the very developments that the champions of "organic development" decry most vehemently as damned foolishness.

What would have happened if, instead of immediately developing a new missal, the Vatican had simply allowed local churches to make such changes in the 1962 rite as they deemed pastorally appropriate? God knows. We don't.

What would have happened if the post-Conciliar commission had simply pruned the old rite significantly, introduced the new lectionary and reassigned the chant propers to accord with it (allowing the use of longer psalmody in place of the graduals) replaced some of the presidential orations with better ones, re-introduced the Prayer of the Faithful (with a penitential petition, perhaps), restored Ordo Romanus 1-style ceremonial (as it did), removed the "per Christum..." conclusions and "Amens" from the various sections of the Canon, along with the long list of Roman saints, and added a post-Sanctus (such as that composed for Prayer III) to the Canon (so that the relation of the Te igitur to the preface, obscured by the introduction of the Sanctus in the 5th century, could again be made obvious)? I think the new missal would have been better. On the other hand, I think the new missal is better than the missal of 1962.
  • chonakchonak
    In this connection, I commend a book I've just finished: Fr. Thomas Kocik's The Reform of the Reform?, which present an imaginary debate on the question "reform or return?", along with Fr. Brian Harrison's ground-breaking essay proposing a pathway for a "reform of the reform", and contributions by Fr. Aidan Nichols, Fr. J.P. Parsons, and Monsignor [now Bishop] Peter Elliott.
  • CharlesW
    Ruth, not mixing the rites came out of a publication by Ecclesia Dei back when we had to petition the local bishop for permission to have the EF mass. That's where I saw it.

I maintain that the biggest problem with the NO is priests and people not following the rubrics. What we are supposed to do is clear, so it puzzles me why so many want to fuzz those rules and reinterpret them to match their own agendas.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • BenBen
    That's the thing, Charles, the OF isn't always as clear as it could be. The GIRM simply says he "purifies the chalice" and the missal specifies that the priest/deacon/acolyte "purifies the paten over the chalice and also the chalice itself." but doesn't specify how. And that's one small example. You can't read these things in a vacuum.

Even then, it is assumed that we look back to tradition. It's not a mixing of rites, it's a hermeneutic of continuity, not to mention obeying GIRM no. 42 ("Attention must therefore be paid to ... the traditional practice of the roman rite"). Mixing of rites would be things like outright ignoring OF rubrics in favor of EF rubrics, such as using texts from the EF not found in the OF, or omitting the second reading, reordering the priest's communion, or things like that.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    I think GIRM assumes common sense among well-meaning adults. Perhaps that's the real problem.
  • chonakchonak
    The 1984 indult Quattuor abhinc annos had an express prohibition: "There must be no interchanging of texts and rites of the two Missals."

The 2007 document Summorum Pontificum expressly replaces the 1984 directives with its own list of directives, and the new list does not mention a prohibition against mixing texts or rites. On the other hand, it shouldn't be necessary to state that: after all, a priest should comply with the norms for the Missal he is following.
  • If I may come back to the original question about what "implementing what the Council asked for", I would raise two thoughts.

1) The Pope doesn't need the authority of a council to reform the liturgy. The reform of the liturgy was promulgated by His Holiness Paul VI.

2) In order to reform the Missal of Paul VI, or to implement what the Council allegedly asked for, one must start from the place at which the Council did, or Paul VI did in enacting reform. Imagine someone saying he wanted to "reform" the laws of ownership. Each thing to be discussed as to whose it SHOULD be, according to the reform would need to be in the proper hands before being exchanged. Therefore, even if one didn't actually restore the 1962 Missal in all its glory and abolish the reforms of Pope Paul VI, one would need to reform the liturgy organically from that point, not from the current, inorganic state.

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • DougS
    How does one measure "organic" development of the liturgy in a quantifiable way?
  • BenBen
    Charles, perhaps that's a bad example. But the point is that many rubrics like that are unclear in the OF. Common sense can take us only so far. If you have a choice between options, why not go with the option of continuity?
  • francis
    DougS (et al who are interested to know...)

It's a family secret... (and it's between Jesus and His Mother) [I am part of their close family, and as a "sibling" I FOUND OUT!]

Organic Development

My great great great great grandmother had a recipe... she got it from her great great great great great grandmother... they passed it on from mother to daughter for years, decades, and centuries. Each added a little something to it, all in the spirit of creativty and humanity looking for the most beautiful taste they could divine from nature with the most special ingredient, LOVE. None started over from scratch. They each treasured the wisdom and skill had by the mother before, and they counted it as sacred. By the time it got to me, it was... a family secret! And boy, is it simply heavenly!

No book contains it.
    No one person can reproduce it.
    No machine can duplicate it.
    It is simply mystical and irresistible.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • This is not a reply. This is just a quotable quote ...

The Bugnini liturgy is an arbitrary patchwork which does not meet the requirements of the Liturgical Constitution of the Second Vatican Council according to which all accidental innovations must spring organically from tradition and yield genuine spiritual benefit.

So it's Catholic, but not distinctively Roman.
  • Liam
    And it's a rather useless quote. SC emphasizes many things much more than the idea of organic development (and the centralizing, modernizing aspects of the Tridentine reforms were what effectively maimed organic development in the Roman rite, as even traditional liturgical scholars have been known to acknowledge from time to time).
  • So there are contrary principles at play? Like what?
  • Liam
    Read SC. There are many values set forth that co-exist (contrary is not a necessary characterization). Organic growth is only referred to once, and is very deliberately not defined because no one agreed about what it meant or looked like (how could they, given the nature of liturgical change in the intervening centuries?). The sanctification of the faithful is yet another value, as is their FCAP (and, given St Pius X's sacramental revolution earlier in the century, it makes sense that there would eventually be a reconsidering of the long-time practical view of the liturgical though juridical lenses: that what was far and away more important was that the clerics do what they are supposed to do, with the right words and right gestures at the right time). Simplification is another value. I am not going to get into an exhaustive list, but building an entire perspective on a vague value that is only mentioned once is not a terribly credible line of argument. I know it's popular in some circles, but it's nonetheless wanting. And, besides, SC was not like a "constitution" in the legal sense of the Anglosphere: a limiting Prime Directive. It was a permissive document, and the pope and bishops retained power to reform beyond its text (that problem, btw, is a product of the whole Second Millennium trend towards legal positivism in the governance of the Roman rite: it's not a modern problem at all, but if one wants to see it curbed, it means some important "development" in the understanding of the authority of popes and bishops to change the liturgy, a "development" that would severely undercut the juridical mindset we've embraced for the past 900 or so years).
  • Mentioning a thing once has no bearing on its importance. If dad tells his kid to stop hitting his sister once --- well, maybe that's because it should only take once.

On top if this, organic development is underscored, and heavily, by the Holy Father's admonition to read the documents with a hermeneutic of continuity.

Assume that the council did not emphasize it as much as current theories do: So what? Continuity --- and "organic development" --- are critical to the current phase of the reform of the reform. Emphasizing it more than the council, if that is indeed what these theorists are doing, may act as a corrective.
  • Liam
    "Stop hitting your sister" is far less equivocal than a vague mention of organic growth. I understand the Holy Father's admonition, but it doesn't carry as much water as some think (I don't think the Holy Father believes it carries as much water as some think, for that matter). YMMV.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Much like scripture or any work of theology, SC (and all the V2 documents) is open to a wide variety of legitimate interpretations. By "legitimate," I don't mean precisely "right," (in a relativistic sense) but rather: smart and sincere people who are well acquainted with the traditions of the church can read SC and come to different conclusions about what it means, or what it was supposed to mean.

Many traditionalists, and I would guess CMAA generally, view SC in a particular way, influenced both by B16's "hermaneutic of continuity" and also by (their likewise interpreted reading of) previous documents such TLS.

The much maligned (here) USCCB document "Sing to the Lord," presents (among other things) a view of SC which is both more progressive (in the conventional sense) and also more mainstream (in the sense of more widely held). Whatever your opinions on it's merit or legitimacy, I highly suggest reading that document with an open mind, as it lays out an interpretation of SC which is quite different than the one usually expressed in the CMAA echo chambers.

Heck, even this humble blogger has thrown in with a commentary on the matter.

Now, perhaps one or another of these reasonable interpretations is better, or more right, or is completely right. But perhaps its more like the US Constitution (or strikes in baseball)- it doesn't really mean anything specific until those with the authority to make judgements do so.

So, my point is: It's fine to think you're right. We all think we're right. And it's fine to argue about it (up to a point). But don't fall into the increasingly common trap of assuming that anyone who disagrees with you is either misinformed or heretical.
  • Liam
    Adam

I largely agree. My main point is that the there are many co-existing values that necessarily involve tensions, and even the HoC doesn't provide a silver bullet triage of them all. I believe the problem is the expectation, especially informed by the legal culture of the Anglosphere, that this all gets minutely rationalized by a theory that highly congruent with actual practice (the Roman cultural mindset is much more comfortable with much less congruence in that regard). (And this expectation is also found among many progressives as it is among traditionalists.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Liam -
    Yeah, I was really trying to reinforce what I understood to be your point.
    And your observation of Anglo vs. Roman understanding of "law" is (I believe) spot on, and a large part of the problem.
  • Never said anyone was misinformed or heretical. I do believe those disagreeing with this interpretation is wrong, and I do look forward to the renewal of the Roman Rite.

I am interested in actual, contrary, argumentation against this position.
  • dad29
    Nitpicky:

. In 1962 the people's vocal participation in the rite was advanced as an ideal

Actually, that was advanced several hundred years PRIOR to 1962, but most often and forcefully by Pius X in the early 1900's.
  • I did not mean to imply that the people's vocal participation in the rite was initiallyadvanced as an ideal in 1962. I meant only that in 1962 it was in many places still recognized only as an ideal, and that after the Council it was viewed as a true norm.