Suggestions: bridging school and parish?
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I work as a music teacher three days per week at a parochial elementary school, and as the music director at the adjoining parish. I have been very successful at the school in the past year, and have developed a 22 voice children's choir. The Christmas program was a smashing success, and the parents are very happy to have me at the school. However, virtually none of the families at the school attend weekend Mass at the parish. Our parish has been through a lot of strife in the past several years, and has very few programs running. People are reluctant to volunteer to help out, and we are frequently missing altar boys on the weekends. Even musically we are struggling. We do not have a consistent choir, or even a consistent organist right now.

This year Father will be pushing that "Catholic Education begins with Sunday Mass". I am seeking ways to work on inviting families back into the parish through my work in the classroom. Last year (my first year) I focused on good singing technique, and developing each homeroom into a choir. These classes alternated in singing for all school Mass from the choir loft. This year I want to invite these classes also to alternate at singing for Sunday Mass, and to open the choir loft up to all kids who are interested in coming up to sing with me on Sundays.

Any other ideas? Perhaps ways to use my Christmas and spring programs to bridge the gap? Or are there any other evening activities or programs to do this that I can promote through my role as the music teacher and music director?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Do most of the families not attend Mass at all? Or they don't attend there but do somewhere else?
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    The majority appear not to attend Mass at all. They used to, and then unfortunately left the parish when a hardlined (but very good-hearted) priest became pastor and they no longer felt welcome.
  • I could have written your post, Angela. I am in the same boat and it's been very difficult. Most of our families attend mass elsewhere or are not Catholic (large non-Catholic population at the school). I have 26 children in the school choir and 5 that sing on Sundays. And, we also lost a lot of parishioners when a more conservative, non-OCP type priest became pastor. All I can suggest is to continue your good work at the school and keep praying that hearts will soften towards your new pastor and the parish will built up again. God bless.
    Thanked by 1AngelaR
  • chonakchonak
    Priests like that often attract families to the parish, so you may find more kids around after a while.

• AngelaRAngelaR
    That pastor left a couple years ago. Our new pastor shares many of the same views as the previous one, but has more interpersonal skills. Still, this parish has a history of having been through many rough times. People are afraid to trust. The parish won't survive without the families.