citations for SEP
  • Excuse this dumb question, but how would you cite the propers for a confirmation mass in a program when the propers are in English? We are using the SEP for a confirmation mass. We are using the antiphon and verses for all the propers.
  • Cite?
  • MCG,
    I would simply title the Proper as Adam does in SEP. For example, INTROIT: Respice, Domine "Respond, O Lord..." Ps. 74 (73) 20, 19,22-23.
    Just don't cite the Sunday usage "19th Ordinary" or whatever.
  • At St Basil's Chapel at Houston's UST this Sunday we are having a completely sung Gregorian chant mass entirely in English except for the kyries and part of the communion music.
    The Propers, which are drawn from SEP as well as The Plainchant Gradual will appear in the Service Folder thusly:

INTROIT - Respice, Domine - - - - - Mode VII
    (With full text printed here)

For this mass the propers are Introit=SEP, RespPs=MJO, Alleluya=AnglUseGrad,
    Offertory=Palmer-Burgess, Communion=SEP
    The Kyries are Greek; Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei are Fr Columba
    Also, during communions, there is a Lassus motet, and a solo Russian chant.

Attached here for your reference
    is the complete Service Folder... without music and artimage
  • Jackson, you did catch the part where this is not an assigned Ordinary Sunday or Feast? It appeared that she was going to reprint the graphic of the SEP's. Which would be the origin of how to "cite" it.
    So, the poster was asking how to "properly" cite whatever Propers (not necessarily 19 Ord) were being employed, yes?
  • So sorry, it would seem that I didn't read carefully enough.
    At any rate, there are some hints for citing and arranging things in a Service Folder.
    Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
  • You are always helpful, MJO! I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who occasionally reads "zebra" when the author wrote "horse."
  • chonakchonak
    Is the questioner going to copy the text or the music, or is she just wanting to provide a citation for informational purposes? I wasn't sure.
  • Thank you all. Just the citation for informational purposes. Our pastor has asked that we use the propers for the confirmation mass. I'm using those indicated in the confirmation rites. However, they will be chanted in English, as I stated, from the SEP, so the congregation will immediately understand them. I didn't know how to instruct the DRE to cite the propers for informational purposes in the program. (We don't use a program for Sundays. the people just listen to the chants.)

I am working hard to be consistent and use propers for all masses so that, when they are absent, the parishioners will say, "hmmmmm, something was missing." Only by the grace of God is this happening. Additionally, parishioners have said, "I went to another church and they didn't do the "added" thing we do here. I missed it." And until now, I've never given a proper "citation" to indicate the source of the proper. But that time has finally arrived. 5 years later...baby steps...and it is wonderful. Perhaps, God willing, in another 5 years, we will abandon the hymns and all will sing the propers! thank you again to all who helped me.