URGENT Liturgical question: MC role at Pontifical Low Mass
  • BenBen
    Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good resource (or would be able to answer questions and fill me in via internet) on the role of an MC at a pontifical low mass in the EF? By pontifical low Mass, I mean a simple low Mass with only 2 servers, an MC, and the bishop-celebrant. I'm pretty familiar with the Low Mass server parts already. I know the MC (may?) stand at the altar to assist, but my knowledge of the situation ends there,

Anyone? Mass is this Thursday, so I need it quickly so I can study up.
  • Well, according to Fortescue, it seems that there are not two servers and an MC, but two or three servers (chaplains) in cassock and surplice. The third chaplain "assist[s] the bishop and rings the bell."

Good luck!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Unless the Bishop is very uncertain there is no need for an MC at a low Mass. I suppose if the Low Mass was a public one and the Bishop was uncertain, there would be value in an M.C. In that case the role is like to a Missa Cantata and assists at the Altar for the benefit of the Bishop.
    Thanked by 2ClemensRomanus Ben
  • BenBen
    Thanks all! I was able to get in touch with someone who did it in the past, so I was able to figure out what the expectations are. Thanks for all the help sending me in the right direction!