St. Hildegard's Compositions--Sheet Music?
  • RachelR
    I found two pieces on CPDL.org, but I need more! Where are they? Our schola would like to learn several of them.

Also, if they are available, are they in Gregorian chant notation? (My non-musician rebels at anything but neumes!) I won't be too picky, though, because (beggars can't be choosers and) I learned how to use Gregorio a few days ago and did my best to put the CPDL's "O Virtus Sapientiae" into GABC and it worked, so I can do it again!

Links and info will be much appreciated.
  • CharlesW
    Just curious. What were the pieces?
  • RachelR
    They are "O Virtus Sapientiae" and "De Virginibus: O Nobilissima Viriditatis." The latter seems to have a range that is er, out of our range.
  • There is a nice little book with quite a number her compositions in round note chant notation on a five line staff and no accompaniment, which is nice because her music is chant. You can find it by searching for the Hildegard Publishing Co. Bryn Mawr PA. Includes English translations at the beginning of the book. I have Vol. II and it has 16 compositions in it.
  • RachelR
    Thanks! I will look it up!
  • JL
    Your best source for Hildegard's music would be the two extant manuscripts of her compositions, the Riesencodex and the Dendermonde Manuscript. Both of these have been issued in beautiful (and colorful!) facsimile editions, which you should probably be able to find at your local university library (check WorldCat--I keep finding all kinds of great things that way.) The Riesencodex is also online at IMSLP; the neumes are very clear, the text less so, but the texts of her works are easily located elsewhere. There's a decent edition of the texts of her Symphonia by Barbara Newman (ignore the crazyish free translations; the literal translations in small print and the actual Latin texts are what you want anyway), or can be dug out of the liner notes from recordings. I recommend making your own performing editions with a narrow calligraphy pen and modern 5-line staff paper (on which you can make the text as legible as you want--or otherwise.)

In general, I would stay away from the Hildegard Publishing editions, as the stemless modern noteheads (my teacher called them "dots in space") do not communicate the same level of rhythmic and expressive information as do the handwritten neumes. There is a beautifully done edition of the Symphonia and the Ordo in standard-ish square Gregorian notation published by the nuns of the Abtei St-Hildegard, which I believe is out of print (again, WorldCat), but it has some discrepancies with the manuscript sources.

In general, I would go very slowly introducing Hildegard's music to an amateur group, as it is for the most part extremely difficult. "O virtus sapientiae" is a good one to introduce Hildegard's style, as it is short and has a fairly manageable range. "O viridissima virga" and "O ignee Spiritus" are perhaps within the reach of an adventurous group, as are some of the longer chants from the Ordo Virtutum (though they tend to have less applicability to a liturgical context.) In any case, you'll need to do your homework. Go in armed with lots of research (good articles can be found in JAMS, Early Music and the other musicological journals, as well as the American Benedictine review) and listen to some high quality recordings (Sequentia's are considered by many to be the gold standard, and Tapestry's recordings are also quite good. Don't bother with the ones from Gothic Voices and Anonymous 4, and stay away from that weird 90s dance-remix thing with Nancy Argenta and company.)

I wish you all the best as you and your schola get better acquainted with our new Doctor! :)
  • RachelR
    Wow! Thank you! I see that there are some resources at our University Library, including the book you mentioned edited by Ms. Newman.

It looks like it will be trickier than I thought, then, to get a plentiful repertoire of her pieces ready, but it will definitely be worth it, because of the beauty and St. Hildegard is our patroness. We are really going to celebrate on Oct. 7!
  • JL
    It's totally worth it. What a great patroness!
  • Over the past few years, I've been slowly transcribing some of St. Hildegard's music from the Riesencodex - "just for fun."

I had been using the "caecilia" font in MS Word, but recently have moved to Gregorio for the remainder of my transcriptions.

I started on her series of antiphons for the dedication of a church. I transcribed her Kyrie, and a few other antiphons for the BVM.

Most recently, i transcribed her antiphon in honor of the Trinity.

Let me know if you want any.

-fr. m. earthman
    houston, tx
  • RachelR
    Yes, I would definitely like to see your transcriptions, Father! (I am so glad that this is your idea of a hobby, for it will benefit many of us!) Thank you so much for you post.
  • Here are two:

Laus trinitati - an antiphon in praise of the Trinity (transcribed this summer for Trinity Sunday)
    Nunc aperuit nobis - an antiphon in honor of the BVM

More to come, when time allows.

-fr. m. earthman
    houston, tx
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Laus Triniti-

That melody is beauitful.
    And if I understand the Latin, so is the text.
    (I'm sure it is, even if I don't understand it).

I'm posting my bad translation here, so that others with more than 2 years of High School Latin can correct it.

Laus Trinitati, que sonus et vita ac creatrix omnium in vita ipsorum est, et que laus angelice turbe et mirus splendor archanorum, que hominibus ignota sunt, est, et que in omnibus vita est.

Praise to the Trinity,
    in whose life is created all sound and life,
    and who is praised by the angels (the mob of angels?)
    and who is the miraculous splendor of the mysterious,
    and who is unknown by humans,
    and who is,
    and whose life is in all things.
  • Here is my pseudo-poetic translation of Laus trinitati:

Praise to the Trinity
    who is song and life
    and creator of all
    is in the life of things themselves

and whose praise is the angelic throng
    and the wonderful splendor of the arcane
    is unknown to men

yet it is
    and which in all things
    is life
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Nisi
    At my suggestion, our friends the Anonymous 4 have published some of their own editions of Hildegard pieces. Susan Hellauer says, "Lots more are coming!"

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords="Anonymous+4"&creator=Anonymous+4&sorter=relevance-desc
    Thanked by 1mgearthman