Hymn For "Year of Prayer" - Should I ???
  • My Diocese has requested a special recessional hymn for all Masses this weekend (also for use throughout the year of prayer). I have some reservations based on the text. I have made a very serious effort to choose only theologically-solid hymns, and I need your help here - am I being too critical, or should I go with the flow and do as the Diocese has suggested? See below:

"Come and See the Many Wonders"
    (Worship IV No. 788)

DELETED (as the text was copyrighted after all)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm not a theologion nor do I hold a theology degree, but I don't see anything problematic about the text.
  • teachermom24
    This is not a hymn of praise to God. It's directed to the people, like a homily. I wouldn't use it unless required to do so by my pastor.

Kathy
  • GavinGavin
    It rubs me the wrong way, too. It's all about us and what we do. I wouldn't ban it outright, but I wouldn't call it a "solid" text, if that's your metric.

I'm reminded of words from a Lutheran friend on how he evaluates sermons. I'm not necessarily convinced, but it's food for thought:

"First, who is doing the action in the sermon? Is it Christ? Is it us? Is it the Church? If it isn't Christ, then it isn't a Christian sermon, period."
  • CharlesW
    I don't have a problem with the text. It does at least acknowledge Praise the Father, Son, and Spirit, Source of blessings year by year. Pick up any popular Catholic hymnal and you could easily find far worse.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    goodness gracious I need to write more...
  • BenBen
    I'm with Gavin. I don't see anything specifically wrong, and it's certainly not the worst, as Charles points out, but it still rubs me wrong too.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Ben, you noticed I didn't say it was the greatest, either. LOL
  • francis
    its a so so text... somewhat humanistic perhaps... would have been good for the opening ceremony of the olympics
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • JennyH
    "First, who is doing the action in the sermon? Is it Christ? Is it us? Is it the Church? If it isn't Christ, then it isn't a Christian sermon, period."

Not sure what you're getting at here.
  • Thanks for the comments.

For what it's worth, I decided not to go with this hymn, as I couldn't justify paying for a re-print license.

I programmed "Christ Is Made The Sure Foundation" instead, which is public domain. And I LOVE that hymn :)

(If you're curious what I was considering, see Worship IV No. 788)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Good solution!