• E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Anyone ever done it? Get two or five versions of the Ave Maria, alternating through the decades, using the appropriate chant equivalents of the other prayers.

It would take forever, but this seems like the kind of thing that might be fun.
  • Recorded it, CD available on Amazon,com:

http://www.amazon.com/Notre-School-Gregorian-Motets-Rosary/dp/B003NX7FZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343622120&sr=8-2&keywords=notre+dame+high+school+CD

Doesn't take forever....and is very...zen-like to do...

'This is a choir I inherited from another talented musician, Isabel Miller, we did the recording session together trading off back and forth while I was getting to know the choir.
    Thanked by 2mattebery eft94530
    The idea was chant more than psalmtone, but I guess that counts.
  • aldrich
    Sung rosary is very common in the Philippines, according to the Spanish custom, meaning its longer, usually taking 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs until the Salve, Regina.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • tomjaw
    My children sing the Rosary... When they are older I hope they can sing the Antiphons to introduce each mystery (Manuel des Processions et Benedictions..., Desclee, 1921)
  • aldrich
    For fun, we made a new setting of the entire Rosary. The Apostles Creed is sung with a 1. D final cadence, the Pater noster in Tonus Peregrinus, and the Ave Maria in the piercingly haunting Gospel tone of the Passion. We had a special tone for the announcement of each mystery.
    !

I would love to see that setting! Any chance you'd be willing to share it?

My children sing the Rosary... When they are older I hope they can sing the Antiphons to introduce each mystery (Manuel des Processions et Benedictions..., Desclee, 1921)

Are those the same as in the Cantus Selecti [PDF], page 147? (Between chants No. 123 and 124 of this book.)
    Thanked by 1Geremia
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I set the English translations from the 1964 Roman Breviary, ed. Rev. Bede Babo (approved by Rome) and the 1965 Roman Missal to the antiphons from the Cantus Selecti. I think only the initial antiphon was lacking an official translation, so I had to do that one myself. I can send them to you if you PM me and give me your email.
    Sure! Yours too.
  • CGM
    My wife and I have been doing a musical Decade of the Rosary as a Marian offering for about five years, either in October (month of the Rosary) or May (month of Mary) or for particular feasts (e.g. annually for Our Lady of Guadalupe, Dec. 12th). We've presented it in several different churches in a couple adjoining dioceses during that time. (She's an operatic soprano, and I'm an organist.) We use chants, solo settings of the Ave Maria, and choral pieces adapted for soloist+organ. Our program:

Pater noster Gregorian Chant

Ave! Giulio Caccini (1548-1618) [actually composed by Vavilov]
    Ave Maria Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934)
    Ave! Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
    Ave Maria Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
    Ave Maria Charles Gounod (1818-1893)
    Ave Maria Jacques Arcadelt (1505-1568)
    Ave Maria Gregorian Chant
    Ave Maria Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)
    Ave Maria Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921)
    Ave Maria Antonín Dvorák (1841-1904)
    Ave Maria Anton Bruckner (1824-1896)
    Ave Maria Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) + Gounod

Gloria Patri Gregorian Chant

Salve Regina Gregorian Chant

The whole thing lasts about 40 minutes. Sometimes our kids join us on the Salve Regina at the end - and often the congregation does, too!

(And yes, there are 12 Ave's, but the two entitled simply "Ave" don't have any text other than simply "Ave Maria!" so we include those as prayerful interjections, while not counting them toward the ten Ave's which comprise the Decade.)
  • aldrich
    E_A_Fulhorst, I don't have the .pdf right now. I'll post it here once I retrieve it from my PC.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • DougS
    For the sake of completeness, CGM, I would add "+ Dietsch" after Arcadelt on your listing since Arcadelt did not actually write the Ave Maria that is frequently attributed to him.
  • CGM
    DougS - you are of course correct about the Arcadelt. There are a lot of editions of it floating around, and because the "Ave Maria" text is a contrafact, text placement is always a little awkward, no matter how creatively it's squeezed in there. Still, it's a lovely little piece, and it works well in that spot amongst the Ave's.
  • DougS
    Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean for my comment to sound snarky at all.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Just out of curiosity, is there a chant tone for a Gloria Patri if one were to sing it by itself and not just as the end of an introit/psalm/responsory?
  • I don't think there's a special one. Normally it's whatever psalm tone one has been using. Oh, I just thought of the Greatorex one with organ that is sometimes sung in Protestant churches (after lengthy, thrilling organ buildup) at the solemn procession and elevation of the cash! :) I'm thinking you are looking for a simple tone, though.
  • tomjaw
    "Are those the same as in the Cantus Selecti [PDF], page 147? (Between chants No. 123 and 124 of this book.)"

Almost... Some of the Antiphons have identical text and melody, others have different text and melody.

N.B. This book has a modern stave but with chant notation! I could scan the pages if you would like.
  • aldrich
    Oh, do please scan them!
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Geremia
    It seems the Dominican Order would have a notated version of a chanted rosary, but I couldn't find anything in the books listed here: https://media.musicasacra.com/dominican/
  • Geremia
    There's a website called ChantTheRosary.com!
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • Reminds one of the story of two priests living in the same town who decided to prank one another. The first went to confession to the second, and received as penance - a rosary with a Litany of the Saints between each bead. The second was surprised that the first made no protest... until the second went to the first and received as penance - a Litany of the Saints with a Rosary between each invocation. :)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Couldn't find any information on chanted rosaries at the Rosary Confraternity either.
  • If anyone is interested, in my version of the chanted rosary, I use the regular Anglican / English version of the Creed, Our Father and Hail Mary to Tonus Peregrinus and the Anglican Magnificat on the Blessed Medallion, with simple tones on the concluding prayers.
  • tomjaw
    I have now finally scanned some of the pages from Manuel des Processions et Benedictions du Tres Saint Sacrament, Rene Paris, 1921. Including the Antiphons for the Rosary page 278 etc.

I have written more about these antiphons here, https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2023/11/11/the-joyful-mysteries-and-benediction/
    At some stage I will do a post for the other 2 sets of mysteries.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen