How do you know if the organ is too loud or too soft?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Yesterday I had a parishioner tell me the organ was too loud and that's why people weren't singing.
    About a month ago, I had another parishioner tell me I should play the organ louder.
    Sigh.

If you are in a large but acoustic church, even with not many people in it, should the organ be soft enough so that the (few people who are singing in the) congregation can be heard from the choir loft? Or will a soft organ hinder their singing?

How do you know if it's the fault of the volume of the organ, and not the hymn choices or the apathy of the congregation that they are not singing?

How much does the feeling of being "spread out" and feeling like they are the "only one singing" affect how much they will sing? Should the organ be louder or softer to help those problems?
  • ryandryand
    " How do you know if it's the fault of the volume of the organ, and not the hymn choices or the apathy of the congregation that they are not singing? "

Yes.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • lmassery
    I have wondering the same things. I've tried to test this problem by playing different volumes on parts that many parishioners DO actually sing consistently, such as a super-easy psalm response and the alleluia refrain. I have found that they sing those parts equally with both loud or soft organ, which made me think that the accompaniment might as well be softer for them and for other things they know well. But that still leaves many unanswered questions
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • Mark P.
    The received wisdom is that the organ needs to be loud enough so that people don't feel self-conscious about their singing. That being said, I think registration plays a role too with a good foundation of Principals and (my least favorite stop) Quintadenas kept to a minimum.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Many people really do like the full organ sound, the louder the better.
    Others will complain even if it's not loud at all.
    While not dismissing them out of hand, it's good not to be overly swayed by complainers... after giving their complaint the consideration it is (or isn't) due.

A sometimes reliable guide is:
    if you can't hear the people, it's too loud...
    and if you can't hear the organ, it's too soft.

But, as an artist,
    it is your judgment as to how it is played appropriately to the music at hand.
    If you play what is fitting for the text and music, you are on terra firma.
    Explaining (not apologising for) your criteria for chosen sounds is sometimes informative and helpful. If you have a weekly music column in your parish bulletin, this would be a good topic.
  • CharlesW
    My response to one fellow who said it was too loud was, "Did I ruin your nap?" Another who said it was too soft, is someone I know needs a hearing aid. It's a no-win so use your own judgement.
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Would it be helpful to get a couple of colleagues into the church for a second opinion? Usually, I don't mind loudness, but I remember the case of one modern church with an electronic organ, where the loudness seemed rather harsh. Maybe the instrument needed to be adjusted by a technician to work better in that building.

I suppose the organist, from where he sat, never heard the effect that I heard, so when he got complaints, he just brushed them off, until the complainers went to the pastor, and things went downhill from there.

• CharlesW
    I don't have a tracker, so I am far enough away from the pipes to hear pretty much what the congregation hears. Sometimes there is, it is true, harshness in those electronics. Many of them seem to sound a bit bad in the lower parts of the keyboards, and I don't know why. Could be speaker placement, speaker quality, overdriving the speakers, or who know what else. They steadily improve, but are still not quite pipe organs in terms of the sound they produce.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    A wonderful story from the late Gerre Hancock (of happy memory) . . .

When he first arrived at St. Thomas Fifth Ave, after playing a service was approached by a dowager of the congregation at coffee hour, who said, "Mr. Hancock, your playing is lovely, but really, it's simply too loud." He smiled and in typical Hancock fashion replied, "Why, thank you so much for your help. I shall do what I can to correct the problem." Several weeks later, the same dowager approached him, beaming a smile as broad as the brim of her Sunday hat, and said, "Oh, Mr. Hancock, how your playing has improved, and it's not so loud any more." He replied, "Thank you!"

Of course, he had changed exactly nothing about his playing or his registrations after her initial comment. He merely acknowledged her comment, but did nothing to actually change what he was doing.

I've had people tell me that my playing has gotten louder of late. Actually, I'm unable to use any reeds due to the high heat and humidity setting off the tuning, and the organ has no mixtures or significant upper work, which are typically the cause of the "too loud" complaints. How could I possibly be playing louder? I don't know, and probably never will know. Thankfully, I have a pastor to work with who generally blows off the "cranks", since they're the ones who seem to be on a mission to seek out something to complain about, and 99.9% of the time their complaints are invalid.
    Thanked by 2marajoy CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    The organ can NEVER be too loud!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Seriously though, my rule is that I should be able to hear the congregation clearly behind it, even from a loft. I also modify by numbers.

A very important rule I've come across, too: SMALL CONGREGATIONS SING IN A DIFFERENT STYLE FROM BIG ONES. For smaller congregations, I play on 8, maybe 8 and 4, manuals alone, and very quickly.

And generally it's better to be too loud. Loud makes people confident to join in. Soft makes people nervous that someone might hear them. I often have trouble singing if the organ is soft, as I'm actually rather self-conscious about my voice.
  • Felicity
    Marajoy,

I have noticed that the men in the Schola (I can actually hear them because they are located right next to the organ.) increase their volume when I increase the volume of the organ accompaniment. Conversely, the men decrease their volume when I decrease the volume of the accompaniment.

I do not know if this relationship holds for the congregation, since I am sitting right at the source of the sound (Estey 2mp model T) and am so surrounded by the organ's sound that I must depend on others to let me know if I play too loudly or too softly.

Please, do not be dismayed. I have been told by two different people on the same day that:
    1. the organ was NOT loud enough; and,
    2. the organ was loud enough.

Deo gratias.
    Felicity
    Thanked by 2marajoy CHGiffen
  • jpal
    I was taught by my mentors that the organist has to come up underneath the congregation and lift them. In this way, they hear each other and themselves, with the organ "carrying" them along. Once you have gotten the "sweet spot" figured out, they with increase or decrease with you. When they feel confident and supported, it is exciting when the organ begins to swell underneath them and they naturally want to sing out. When I say "underneath" it doesn't mean "soft." You have to be strong enough to carry but not overpower them.

I am absolutely convinced that familiarity with particular songs is far more significant than personal taste when you are talking about why people sing. There is a Mass at my church that was in the "contemporary" style for 30 years, and now all the music is from the Vatican II Hymnal. I was told by many people who regularly attend this Mass that they hated traditional hymnody. But you would not know it when we sing OLD HUNDREDTH, HYFRYDOL, or another extremely well known hymn tune.

But you have to find that sweet spot where you are carrying along most of the people who are singing...at least that's the way I think of it. It requires a lot of listening and adjusting, possibly over a long period of time if your congregation is particularly dull or if the space is unforgiving (resonant churches where the sound all swirls together are much better). Maybe I overthink it, but that works for me. There's no cookie-cutter solution, unfortunately.

I do not recommend snide remarks to parishioners; job security may tempt you to do this. You are trying to make music with them, like it or not. The Gerre Hancock story is awesome. Turning hostiles into allies works better for everyone.

You might think of a timid congregation as the weaker chorister who needs to stand between two strong singers in order to find his voice.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Jon
  • marajoymarajoy
    Thank you all for your thoughts so far!

For those wondering, the organ is not a tracker and certainly not electronic, but a large instrument (and I believe well-voiced and not harsh) in a large space.

For me, the problem comes with the lack of people in the pews.

Am I wrong in thinking that if there's 25-40 people in this church that seats 700, even if every single one of them were singing it would still feel like no one is singing? For such a small amount of people, if it's loud will those who are confident singers feel like they can't hear themselves, and yet if it's softer will the un-confident singers be too timid to sing?
  • GavinGavin
    In a perfect world (which we don't inhabit), I'd say for a congregation that size, in that seating arrangement, it may be better to stick to a capella singing. Of course, I'm sure that'd never fly, but I think it WOULD be musically best. Another idea that would never fly would be simply reducing the use of hymns drastically, maybe one per Mass. It just may not be practical to expect the congregation to sing with that few people.

Or perhaps the priest might consider making a request of the congregation to limit their seating choices to, say, the first 15 rows of pews.

Again, it may just be the reality that congregational singing may not work at this parish.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    I know cantors sometimes get maligned for their excesses. With such a small group, it sounds like this is an instance where a strong cantor is needed.

I believe David Andrew mentioned mixtures and upperwork creating the perception that the organ is too loud. He is correct. I have a 1953 Schantz mixture on the Great that I have had revoiced down in volume because everytime I used it, I got the too loud complaint. I agreed it was too loud.
  • redsox1
    I always use mixtures and reeds under expression and I shade the box according to how many people are in the congregation and their volume while singing. I'm also careful to use A LOT of variation in registrations. This helps to prevent listener fatigue.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Felicity
    I had not thought about the fullness of the church being such a factor until it happened last Sunday.

At a Mass that was overfull....not a seat left, standing in the isles, standing in the vestibule, etc. ... I had my usual organ registration for the Seasonal Marian Anthem that this parish always chants at the end of Mass.... and I could really hear the singing. The Schola Master told me that the organ was "loud enough but it could have been louder".
    Thanked by 2Gavin marajoy
  • TCJ
    At pretty much every place I've played at I've had comments from both sides. "It's too loud!" "Can't you play louder? We can hardly hear it." I figure when I get blasted by both sides then I'm at about the right volume.
    Thanked by 2Gavin WiesOrganista
  • francis
    i get a lot of complaints about too loud from people who dont like organ music, so discern carefully
  • Allan DAllan D
    I always ask the complainer to name specifically which hymn or other piece of music during the Mass they thought the organ was too loud/soft. If they can do this, I take a serious look at the registration I used for that piece. If not, I thank them for their feedback and forget about it.
  • Mark P.
    Yesterday I attended a relatively small church that has an 1893 Hook & Hastings organ. This 9-rank instrument had a room-filling sound that was warm due to its glorious Principal chorus. The congregational singing was very impressive. Organs do not have to be large but they do need a room-filling sound without employing mixtures or reeds. Mixtures and reeds can, of course, be added to verses of hymns for variety but they shouldn't be relied upon as the fundamental tone of the organ.
  • **Sigh** Is anybody ever really pleased with the music no matter what we adjust? The fact remains we, as musicians, need to make decisions based on professional judgements and experience. The bottom line is that we will never pleased everybody all the time. We do the best we can with the gifts we've been given. In the last 18 months since I've been DM, I get compliments, complaints, more compliments, more complaints, etc. Before every mass I pray that the Lord leads me in the right direction, and that's all I can ask for. God bless to all.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Use your own temperate judgement. Don't give in to what boils down to "if I can hear it, it's too loud" and "if I can't hear it, it's too soft."
  • Have any others taken note of the effects of external factors on how the people sing? For instance, I used to be aware that, usually, if the weather was cool or cold, they sang better than when it was hot. Rain also was a positive factor for better singing. On the other hand, very little could induce robust singing on, say, Low Sunday. Often the 'loudness' (or 'softness') of the organ neither encourages nor discourages a congregation who simply aren't going to sing, or, on the other hand, simply ARE going to sing. What is pure delight is when a congregation have learned to vary the volume of sound in concord with the organ. When you have got them to contest the sound of the plenum as well as match the sound of a mere 8' gedeckt, you (and they) have 'arrived'.
    It should be borne in mind, though, that the well-played organ is never too loud nor too soft: it is simply appropriate to text, music, and theme of the day. Those who complain of it being too one way or another are, then, not themselves participating appropriately. If they are mumble singing on LAUDA ANIMA, it is they who are too soft, not the organ that is too loud.
  • GavinGavin
    "it is they who are too soft, not the organ that is too loud."

I can't agree with this more! I have been known to respond to people who complain about my volume, "I'm not playing too loudly, you're singing too softly!"
  • GavinGavin
    As for volume in general, here's a BIG tip:

Look at the complainer's ear.

Do you see a hearing aid? If so, there's the culprit. I suspect that the organ (due to all the overtones) sounds AWFUL through a hearing aid. Unless you want to omit everything but the 8' Hohlflote, just ignore them, or suggest they sit farther away from the instrument or turn off their hearing aids during musical portions. There's not really much that can be done about that.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • I once attended an organ recital in a large church that had a new, very impressive organ. At the intermission, a man in the row in front of me (who had seemed nervous throughout the first half), stood up along with those of us taking a stretch break, and turned around to say to anyone who would listen nearby, "Do you people seriously enjoy having your ears blasted like that? I can't stand it!" and left. Those who heard him were a bit stunned, I guess, and said nothing, left to ponder whether we were indeed a bit crazy for enduring the high volumes at which the organ was played. (It wouldn't be played quite that loudly at a Mass.) The rest of the time, I cringed when the organ got quite loud again. But mostly I liked it; in the parish I attended as a child, I thought the organ was always played very meekly and wished it would let loose.
  • hartleymartin
    There are some people whose idea of church music is that it be all meek and mild.

They don't understand music very well.
  • True, Hartley: they are as one with those who think that art is always a pretty picture. May we all be delivered of their tyranny.
  • THE STONING OF THE ORGANIST: ACTS 29

1And it came to pass, when Paul was at Corinth, he and certain disciples came upon a mob that was stoning an organist. 2And Paul said unto them, "What then hath he done unto thee that his head should be bruised?" 3And the people cried with one voice, "He hath played too loud. 4Yea, in the singing of psalms, he maketh our heads to ring as if they were beaten with hammers. 5Behold, he sitteth up high in the loft, and mighty are the pipes and mighty is the noise thereof, and though there be few of us below, he nonetheless playeth with all the stops, the Assyrian trumpet stop and the stop of the ram's horn and the stop that soundeth like the sawing of stone, and we cannot hear the words that cometh out of our own mouths. 6He always tosseth in the variations that confuse us mightily and playeth loud and discordant and always in a militant tempo, so that we have not time to breathe as we sing. 7Lo, he is a plague upon the faith and should be chastised." 8Paul, hearing this, had himself picked up a small stone, and was about to cast it, but he set it down and bade the organist come forward. 9He was a narrow man, pale of complexion, dry, flaking thin of hair. 10And Paul said unto him, "Why hath thou so abused thy brethren?" 11And the organist replied, "I could not hear them singing from where I sat, and therefore played the louder so as to encourage them." 12And Paul turned round to the mob and said loudly, "Let him who has never played an organ cast the first stone." 13And they cast stones for awhile until their arms were tired and Paul bade the organist repent and he did. 14And Paul said unto him, "Thou shalt take up the flute and play it for thirty days, to cleanse thy spirit." 15And afterward, they returned to Corinth and sang psalms unaccompanied and then had coffee and were refreshed in the faith.

[source, apparently Prairie Home Companion]
  • GavinGavin
    If this ever happened to me...

(From a friend's Tumblr account. Be advised that, while the link itself is clean, there may be some vulgarity on the rest of the site)
  • ryandryand
    Too funny.
  • francis
    The problem is simply philosophical:

If the organ is in the OFF position, it is perfect.
    If the organ is in the ON position, it is too loud.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    Francis, so true! I'd respond like this:

"oh, ok, we can turn off the organ and do unaccompanied chant next Sunday. Thanks for the idea!"
  • francis
    i just play the guitar BETTER than the organ (not hard to do) doesnt require much practice
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • hahahahaha that was good francis,,,, can I join you with the tambourine? ahahaha