Liturgical Law
  • Ruth Lapeyre

For those of you who may wonder why it is difficult to find out what licit liturgical action actually is, this little article is a good place to start. It is by Edward Peters a Canon lawyer and professor at Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit.

http://www.canonlaw.info/a_labyrinth.htm
  • francis
    excellent resource. tnx.
  • So true. Many so–called liturgical abuses are really just misunderstandings of the Church’s far–from–codified liturgical law.

Perhaps we should start compiling Codex Iuris Liturgici.
  • francis
    more and more i am out to clarify what is BETTER or MORE AUTHENTIC in terms of sacred music. this means taking a stance to ignore what is not rather than trying to disprove or discount it. it is more akin to leaning toward lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness.
  • Francis, Amen! I couldn't have said it better. Our disposition, regardless of the external limits placed on us, should be to consider what is best in light of authentic tradition and continuity and move our programs forward.

God deserves the best of our human efforts made both in our time and throughout the history of our worship, not merely what is allowed.

It is like tithing. I am allowed to give a little or a lot. If I have the riches, then out of charity and gratitude I seek to give a lot. We certainly have inestimable treasure in our sacred music!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    From the article:

Remember also that a desire for correct liturgy is not simply a way of satisfying some psychological need for stability, but, as Canon 214 connotes, is a function of the faithful's "right to worship God according to the prescriptions of their own rite as approved by the legitimate Pastors of the Church."

This is pretty edifying. Not so worried about my own sanity anymore.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Yes it is edifying. I love the traditions of the Church and I love Chant and I am fortunate enough to go to a church where the pastor is a musician and knows the documents well. What he has tried to do at Assumption Grotto all these years is "light that candle" as Francis has said. Indeed before Summorum Pontificum he brought the Ordinary Form as far as he could toward the Tridentine Mass, it was beautiful. The Ordinary Form is very pliable in some ways (but not all). I love the Ordinary Form too when it is Celebrated with a good deal of Catholic tradition and even in the vernacular...although I prefer Latin.

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst