Hildegard von Bingen
  • nelemme
    I'm looking for an orthodox biography of St. Hildegard von Bingen. I've noticed that she has been new-age-i-fied by some authors. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

-nl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You may have done so already, but I would start by reading her own writing, listening to some of her music, and viewing some of her artwork.
    Any female mystic runs the risk of being "new-age-i-fied", and I have no doubt that many authors skew the picture on Hildegard quite a bit. But you may be surprised at how "out there" she was.
  • DougS
    Of course in her case, "out there" is a relative term. A lot of people living in the twelfth century were pretty much out there, too.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I just down-loaded a book but haven't read it yet. It is called Hildegard of Bingen: A Spiritual Reader By the title you can surmise that it is a collection of her works. I have looked for a biography but have had trouble finding one. I suspect there are some in German.
  • I'm asking to know: is Hildegard actually a canonised saint?
    I have heard that she may be made a doctor of the Church: is this accurate?
  • chonakchonak
    Yes; Hildegard was already considered a saint widely, but Pope Benedict performed a canonization in May to make it official.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As for her being "out there", it is true that any Mystic is going to seem out there. However, she was ferocious against Gnosticism. I actually believe that is the plague of our time, self actualization as salvation, finding your true self. That is the heresy committed by that nun whose book, "just love, "was severely criticized by the CDF. She believes that just love is based on justice towards the person as they are, and so therefore she condones every form of sexual behavior, virtually. For people who are into that, I think it is hard to talk rationally to them. However I think Hildegard might be a big help in that regard; if it is the other world that they are trying to get in contact with, Hildegard was certainly in touch with all that. Kenneth
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    So far as Doctor of the Church:

I am pleased to announce that on October 7, [2012], the day that begins the assembly of the Synod of Bishops, I will proclaim St. John of Avila and St. Hildegard of Bingen Doctors of the Church.
    --- Benedict XVI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    amindthatsuits:

Totally agree with you.

Hildegard is not mainstream by any stretch, but she certainly is orthodox. She was a faithful servant of both God and the Church.

As is the case (I think) of many true prophets and mystics in our heritage, some people (hippies) would be disappointed to learn the extent of her humility and fidelity, while others (traddies) would be scandalized at the audacity and power of her vision.

I have heard (too often) the cliche definition of a prophet as someone who "speaks truth to power."

Hildegard didn't just speak truth- she sang it.
    And not just to "power."
    She sang it to all of us.
  • chonakchonak
    As always, it is worth noting that her status as a saint or Doctor doesn't automatically imply a Church endorsement for any particular visionary experience she had.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
    Interesting. So it is an endorsement of her general paradigm or output or influence rather than a particular aspect of the paradigm/output/influence? What's the purpose of proclaiming a Doctor of the Church if not to underline a positive influence of the person --- i.e., for mystics, mysticism; for musicians, music; for theologians, theology.

(Honest question, no offense intended.)
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    E_A_F - good question.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Mr Fulhorst has made a fine point! And one may but wonder that there are no musicians who are doctors of the Church. Candidates may be Tallis and Palestrina.
  • Agreed, Jackson, with perhaps a nod to Josquin and Victoria as well?
    And were we to ask Metropolitan Hilarian Alfeyev AND make a magnanimous ecumenical gesture whether J.S. Bach should be on the short list as well, what would he likely say in response?
    Because I'm feeling cheeky today, a weak little disputatio for your enjoyment:

It may be said that she will be proclaimed Doctor of the Church for her contributions to music rather than, even despite, her other fields of notoriety and expertise. She was something more of a polymath than, say, Augustine, so this is a possiblity.

On the contrary, Doctors of the Church have before been honored without enjoying any absolute, explicit distinction for some contribution among others. For example: Gregory the Great is a Doctor of the Church, one of the first. Lacking a "Doctor" nickname, and seeing "the Great," it's presumably for just about everything he ever did. Though Hildegard is not called "the great," she is still a saint widely believed to have been a one long, long before her canonization, and her works survived the ages when only what was worth believing or disputing was saved.

Though this does not constitute an absolute proof, it is enough to show that if she were singled out for one field at the expense of others it would be unusual in the light of an election to the Doctors of the Church. It should therefore be viewed as unlikely, pending further contrary evidence. It would be a possibility along the lines of "female Cardinals" --- maybe ontologically possible but nonetheless very peculiar ---- if Hildegard were officially honored for one particular thing about her at the explicit denial of some other particular thing for which she is yet widely honored.

Again, pending further contrary evidence, which will be welcomed cheerfully.
  • Bach!?????
    You mean Jay Ess Bach?!!
    A Doctor of the Church?????!!!!!
    Are you SErious?????????
    Why, he was a uh... hewasuh... uh... well! he uh.. was a LUTHeran!

(Um, he has, though, been called the fifth evangelist! Does That count?)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    With all due respect to those suggesting Tallis, Palestrina, Josquin, Victoria, or even Bach might be suitable as potential (musicianl) Doctors of the Church, I do wonder whether, first, one should be discussing whether any of these might be considered for Sainthood. When St. John of Avila and St. Hildegard of Bingen become Doctors of the Church, this will bring the total to 35. There are many, many more Saints.
  • Amusement still has a muse in it.
  • But there is a doctor of the Church who is also a musician- Hildegard.
    I love that she started composing at 50. Inspiration!!
    Musicians noted for sanctity may be relatively few, though some names come to mind-
    Pierre de la Rue
    Messaien
    Mary Berry
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
    Considering that the most notable visual artist who is a saint isn't even a [canonized] saint, but Bl. Fra Angelico --- there are a few others, but very few --- let's definitely not get ahead of ourselves.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Exactly, MaryAnn, although St. Hildegard won't be elevated until October.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • It is said of Tallis that he was 'of a kind and gentle sort'. I cannot think of him as having anything other than a very peaceful soul. Most of his music is pure intelligence. He was also loyal to the Church when it could have cost him dearly. And, his music is self-evidently and without question inspired. He is one of the first persons I hope to meet if I am so blessed as to enter into heaven.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thank you MaryAnn for mentioning that Hildegard was a musician.

Unless my Music History textbook was incorrect, Hildegard was the first non-anonymous composer in what we would now call the Western musical tradition.

Also, she was a visual artist, painting a number of her cosmic visions.

Also, she was a botanist and scientist.

Also, the first woman (that we know of) to write about gynecology and obstetrics.

Also, a skilled diplomat, and an advisor to Bishops, Popes, and Kings.

• Ruth Lapeyre
    She was a Renaissance woman before the Renaissance!
  • Liam
    Thirty years ago, Blessed Pope John Paul II beatified Blessed Giovanni of Fiesole, aka Fra Angelico, and named him patron of artists.
  • chonakchonak
    The Church may never go so far as to treat her visions as having a supernatural origin -- it's quite possible that they were caused by her migraines.

But still Hildegard's three books of theology were influential. She was known for her holiness of life, and for her work as a founder of monasteries.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I would hope that the words and ceremonies surrounding the promotion of St. Hildegard to Doctor of the Church in October might go a long way towards resolving the speculation here.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Another Catholic musician noted for sanctity- Haydn?
  • Liam
    Um, not exactly.
  • DougS
    Mary Ann, Joseph's brother Michael was a much more active participant in church circles.
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Anton Bruckner ... full of devotion and sanctity.
  • JL
    Back to the original question, as far as biographies go, it's hard to do better than the "authorized" biography of Hildegard written by her contemporaries Gottfried and Theodoric. Liturgical Press published it in an English translation in 1995, and it's also available in German. The original Latin is online in the Patrologia Latina (check Google Books).

As far as beatified musicians go, there's Bl. Dina Belanger, who was a concert pianist before she joined the RJMs, and Bl. Giovenale Ancina, an Oratorian priest who wrote laude.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • JL, thanks!

But... but Doug! Active partiipation does not always equate with sanctity. I couldn't resist!

Bruckner- yes, Charles.

No one has said Messaien?
    Thanked by 2DougS CHGiffen
  • DougS
    MaryAnn, ha!

Messiaen certainly had a richly theological mind, and there has been an exponential increase of interest in his life and music over the past ten years, at least among scholars.

Before the death of his second wife, Yvonne Loriod, in 2010, getting access to the materials that might lead to an even deeper appreciation was challenging. He was a private person despite his cultivation of a public persona, and I think she wished to respect that.
  • Yes, I had profs who said the same thing about access to M's private life. While I admire Loriod's sense of duty, I aslo feel that M was reaching new heights in the area of sacred music as mission work, and that new dimensions of devotional life may have been opened sooner and to greater effect.

Through his compositions, M seems to me at once totally authetic and genuinely innovative, lofty and yet deeply intimate. I would love to know more of this thoughts on spirituality and his sources of inspiration as a church musician.
  • DougS
    You should check out the collection of essays called Messiaen the Theologian--but I'm biased (I'm in it). It touches on a lot of these issues from a variety of perspectives.